beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jun 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM Post #888 of 1,963

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:23 PM Post #890 of 1,963
Hi everyone, new T5p owner here. I sort of got into this hobby a bit ahead of myself. I got a Fiio E17 and  FiiO E09K Qogir package as that was what was suggsted to me by the place i got the headphones. After doing some more reading and listening im under the impression this amp/dac combo isnt really allowing the t5ps to reach there full potential.
 Im listening to Flac files from HD Tracks  and some cds.. Its sounds good but i wouldnt say great. 
 I was looking at the Burson conductor and was wondering if anyone could give some feed back on what sort of benefits i would get for the extra cost. Also has anyone tried this combo?
 Some of the music im listening to at the moment is Dire straits, Queen, Michael Jackson through J River MC 18. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Regards

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #891 of 1,963
Welcome to the club, Jean!! Before we get much further, it's probably a good idea to determine what, specifically, you want to improve in the sound you currently have. There will be a lot of ways to upgrade from the Fiio, but which way you go will be largely determined by where you're trying to go, sonically. That, and your budget, naturally :wink:

Welcome to Head-Fi!! Sorry about your wallet 
size]

Jun 16, 2013 at 10:54 PM Post #892 of 1,963
Welcome Jean!

Theogenes is spot on. Let us know how you like things to sound. I love Dire Straits, interviewed David Knopfler last month for a magazine, great guy. Dire straits sound wonderful with my tube amp and T5P's as does Marks newest album, Privateering!

Bloodflowerez, how I wish I could take photo's like you do, that is wonderful!

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:30 PM Post #893 of 1,963
Hi Guys thanks so much for the fast replies! As i say i sort of got ahead of myself. Initially i was looking for a high quality headphone for commuting. My initial research let me to the T5p as an ideal solution for on the go as well as at home listening. 
  Now ive found myself listening for hours at home instead. Excuse my lack of correct terminology and basic understanding of this hobby. Im learning but its all rather new to me.  My initial impressions of the T5P were it was quite bright even harsh sounding to my ears. It now sounds significantly better to me. I cant tell if this is Product burn in, brain burn in or the fact ive fiddled the equaliser on J river to suit...... or a combination.
  I know when i first listened i found it quite lacking in bass and had the FiiO bass turned right up. Now that sounds terrible and muddy to me so it is set back at 0 which sounds much better. 
 I like the clean seperated sounds of the T5p and i think im really appreciating that sound more and more.  Ive also learned the difference of a well recorded cd vs a poorly recorded one. Its very noticeable on these HPs.
  I guess i would say everything sounds a little distant, not immediate and not quite like im engaged in the music as much as i would like. Perhaps a little lifeless? Sorry that sounds vague, im not sure how else to explain it.
   Its also difficult perhaps as i dont really have a reference point. These are my first headphones so im not really sure what i should be expecting. I guess for the price i was expecting a little more wow factor if that makes sense.If i can provide any more information please let me know. 
  And yes you are right, i can see my wallet is in some trouble. I can see myself getting quite involved in this hobby. Im also understanding that perhaps one set of HP isnt ideal for all music but for now i want to optimise and learn about the T5ps as i do really like them so far. Kind Regards

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:43 PM Post #895 of 1,963
Jean, you jumped right into the deep end. Burson Conductor is a fine product but it has weaknesses, mainly as a source component. T5p doesn't need much power, 40mW is fine as ianmedium knows well. It's all about quality not quantity with T5p.

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #897 of 1,963
Ahh, your post shows something very important that is vital to higher end equipment, system synergy.

The things your describing that are not working for you are not the headphones fault but that of the amplification! With headphones as transparent as these they need high quality amplification and source to really show what they are capable of doing, its all about balance see.

This is why so often here products are thought to be not good when in fact the problem lay not with the product but with what it is being fed.

A big mistake I see here so often is folks get really high end headphones and use them with lower end gear and then are disappointed with the results. These headphones are true open windows on to what is fed them. Take care of that and your on to a winner.

I really would suggest sorting the amp out first. I am not familiar with the media player your using but just googled it and is seems to have a good reputation. The Fiio stuff is excellent but having heard it I feel falls way short of what the T5P's really need to shine.

I recently heard the Meridian explorer DAC through my tube amp into the T5P's and was very impressed with that, almost as good as my HiFiMan HM-801 as a source.

I feel confident is saying change the amp and DAC and your going to find the T5P's very rewarding to listen to. Oh, by the way. I found they really benefited from burn in, I found the sound really became something very special around the 300 hour mark!

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #898 of 1,963
Quote:
  I guess i would say everything sounds a little distant, not immediate and not quite like im engaged in the music as much as i would like. Perhaps a little lifeless? Sorry that sounds vague, im not sure how else to explain it.

There are several problems to solve. A high quality source signal to start with, then getting that signal to amplification, then getting it amplified well. It's difficult to solve them all. I would steer away from using a PC computer as the transport or DAC, it is difficult to achieve the objective using a PC based source without attending to all the links between. It is possible a top line DAP is the easiest solution for you. 

Jun 16, 2013 at 11:56 PM Post #899 of 1,963
Good point AJ, I would agree with that, a good high end DAP is the way to go!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back