beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
May 29, 2013 at 5:50 AM Post #871 of 1,963
Quote:
I was planning to buy T5p, but wonder how much it differentiate from T70, which I currently own. I also have HD650. Like the lush sound, but compering to T70 so much details are missing with HD650. So more precisely my question leads toward: If T5p is smoother that T70, and closer to lush sound of HD650m but with tree detailed image of music?

I had the T70 and T5p at the same time and ended up choosing the T5p because it got more listening time than the T70. The T5p does not have the same intimate midrange/treble forwardness as I hear in the T70 so that is the only thing I miss a little bit of in the T5p when comparing to T70. I could easily settle down with T70. I truly enjoyed the T70 for a long time but the T5p does a lot of other things a little bit better and sounds a bit fuller. The resolution is at the same level but most of all the soundstage is bigger or different with T5p. I think you are correct in saying that T5p places itself in the middle of T70 and HD650. But much closer to the T70. The T5p is still bright compared to HD650.

The T70 is also a demanding headphone when it comes to source material and it can sound a bit boring if not fed correctly. The T5p however is more forgiving which makes it more versatile for me because I listen to a lot of different material from CD's, high-rez files and Spotify either when in transport and at home. So for me the T5p covers more listening situations and the T70 is a more "feinschmecker" kind of headphone. I hope this makes sense.

So if you like the T70 signature and do not find it too thin or bright I would say - stay with the T70 until you have heard the T5p first. You might not find that the difference is worth the extra money!

May 30, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #873 of 1,963
Generally I feel a bit disappointed that even the high priced amp does not improove sound as much as more expensive headphones. It gets me think that 300$ amp and 1000$ phones will be better than 1000$ amp and 300$ phones.

May 30, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #874 of 1,963
Quote:
Generally I feel a bit disappointed that even the high priced amp does not improove sound as much as more expensive headphones. It gets me think that 300$ amp and 1000$ phones will be better than 1000$ amp and 300$ phones.

I have no idea how you imagine a $1000 amp can make a bad headphone make int oa good one. It is simply impossible.

Why does a $300 amp make a $1000 headphone better? Because it provides power :)

May 30, 2013 at 7:03 AM Post #875 of 1,963
I think what we want above all in an amplifier is control. High current/voltage/power amplifiers don't necessarily provide the best control. I have read good experiences with both valve and solid state, I suspect valve still has the upper hand in quality control for the T5p.

Jun 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #876 of 1,963
Quote:

after hours of reading and reading and sum more reading ..
i came to the same conclusion ! 
So i ordered my first high-end headphone the T5p's.

Still waiting on them ..this is week 7 pfff longest wait ever !! 

This has giving me plenty of time searching for an amp..
i have bin looking at so manny names / brands you won't believe me!

From the desktop solution of the "Asus Xonar Muses edition" true the " ifi iCAN"
what i like about the ICAN is that i it has a bass boost..i heard that the T5p is sometime a bit to neutral and i like that but sometime listening to "the prodigy" a bit of heavy bass is needed hahah..

so i googled "objective review FiiO E7 USB DAC & Amp " and got a great review technical testing and measuring that shows it to be a good amp ..

The new updated FiiO E17 should do the trick nicely i think..
And it will cost me just €139 $180 and €13 $17 if i want 4years of warranty hahahha !
But i think 2years is more than enough.

I just hope that the FiiO E17 will be great with the T5p.

because i want an amp that can be neutral and if i would want to i could ad bass to it..

The "ifi ICAN" is a GREAT option but it needs a power outlet..
And is MUCH MUCH more expensive.

i would rather same $$$ and get the Sennheiser HD600 or 650.. Rather than getting an expensive amp..
Of course i can also go nuts and get something like the "Burson Conductor" 
But i REALY wonder if i could really hear the difference.. For now i think the FiiO is a good option..
Still i'm thinking about the ICAN hahahaha

Jun 3, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #878 of 1,963
Quote:
smpie have you tried Beyer's DT1350? They are wonderful albeit more neutral professional monitor style headphone, and they will bond nicely with your amplifier interests. 

Problem with them is comfort and placement. I could not stand them for longer than 1 hour, while T5ps I could wear for several hours without any problems.

Jun 3, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #879 of 1,963
Quote:
Problem with them is comfort and placement. I could not stand them for longer than 1 hour, while T5ps I could wear for several hours without any problems.

The T5p does have some advantages over the DT1350, however I do enjoy the DT1350 quite a bit when I'm away from the T5p. I consider the T5p a "trans-portable" headphone and the DT1350 a "portable", IEHPs are mostly "wearable". 

Did you manage to reacquaint yourself with a T5p?

Jun 3, 2013 at 12:00 PM Post #880 of 1,963
My DT1350s are in for repair so I have been using my T50p these must be
the most comfortable portable headphone I have ever tried

They just float on your head like a lighter HD600

Jun 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM Post #881 of 1,963
Hi  AJHeadfi,

Sorry for my late response it has bin one of those weeks pffff !

No i have not tried the "DT1350" they do look nice :wink: 
but i have to admit i'm not a big fan of "on the ear" headphones..
i have small ears and its kind of unconvertible using "on-ear" cups..

i was thinking of listening to the Custom one pro for outdoors or just for fun as an extra pair.

i think the Custom one pro's look awesome …
but i would love a over the ear model that's a bit more like the "DT1350"

Perhaps the store where i will get my T5p's has them so i can listen to them..

YEP you read correctly it has bin almost 2 months of WAITING for me ..
My first high-end headphone take longer to get ready than a new car..From the same country mind you hahahha..so no china stuff companions here !

i almost feel Beyerdyanmic should compensate me for the Extreme long wait..

i even got my headphone stand today.. " CA Electronics CA HS-1 "
ok ok it was a great deal so i head to get them just for €40 and not €70..
i guy sold it because he was not using it , perhaps that's my gift hahaha

Jun 11, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #883 of 1,963
today i got a deal that's got me thinking al over again hahah !!!
as i mentioned the store where i ordered my T5p's has not delivered anything!

So today i contacted an other store and they sad they would offer me a great deal if ..
i got the T5p + the Burson Conductor from them..They have a demo model there..

so i'm thinking it over ..Also will give the first store one more week this will be 2 months and counting.
This is the longest wait ever ! 

Wat do you guys think???

This upgrade to Something like the " Burson Conductor" seems a bit overkill for an easy to drive T5p.
I wanted to get the FiiO E17 and that's it..

But an amp/dac like the Burson seems something well worth the effort..
I was going to start of slow , first the FiiO E17 with the T5p's..

And then after a wile go for something refined like the Burson Conductor..
options,options,options pffff…

thank god one thing is clear :wink: i still want my T5p's hahahha

Jun 11, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #884 of 1,963
Well, I can't speak of the amp but I know my T5P's love class A operation.
As to overkill, remember, its not just about driving them well, in fact when you have headphones as transparent as the T5P's the quality of amplification is more important than the power.

Remember, these headphones are top of the tree in terms of sonics so whatever you feed them will be very clearly shown so make sure its the best.

Also, two months is way too much time to wait for these. I would not give them a day longer, there is no excuse for a two month wait when I got mine off the shelf!

I am not knocking the Fiio, it is excellent for headphones in its price range and a little above but, to use a hackneyed term it would be a bit like putting a 1 litre Chevy or Austin engine in a Ferrari and then finding for some strange reason the myth of Ferrari is just that, a myth! Put the Ferrari engine back in though and you will see what they are all about.

For some reason system matching on this forum seems to take second seat. People say go get very high quality headphones and power them with cheap gear, it just is not worth it IMHO.

I swear one of the biggest reasons some expensive gear gets trashed here is that they are guilty of showing up the inferior equipment.

Personally I would have never recommended the Fiio to you for that reason.

Jun 12, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #885 of 1,963
Quote:
[...]
Also, two months is way too much time to wait for these. I would not give them a day longer, there is no excuse for a two month wait when I got mine off the shelf!
[...]

Of course you get beyerdynamic headphones quickly when they're in stock(/on shelf). When they're not, you may have to wait quiet a while as I wrote on 12 May 2013 (see below). 2-2.5 months waiting time is far from unusual for beyerdynamic as explained below. The reason is beyerdynamic, not the dealers or the importers.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
i ordered mine 3 weeks ago and still waiting..
Can you believe it and i live in Holland maybe 4 , 5 hours driving from Beyerdynamic in Germany hahha..
[...]

I live in Norway. I waited 2.5 months for my beyerdynamic T 1 and more than 2 months for my T 5 p. According to at least one Norwegian dealer, beyerdynamic doesn't have the necessary manufacturing capacity to meet demand, but can't for some reason expand at their current long time premises. Hence one may have to wait for quiet a while when stock is empty.

Wow 2.5 months that's ridiculous..
[...]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back