beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jan 5, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #512 of 1,963
Jan 5, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #515 of 1,963
LOL I didn't notice girls in the picture wearing T5p and T1, and match their robes to their headphones. nice touch.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM Post #516 of 1,963
I have been searching for a guide showing how to open up a T5p in order to change the cable. Does anyone have a link or just a clue? 
Do I need to unscrew the cups from the clams first?

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #517 of 1,963
Quote:
I have been searching for a guide showing how to open up a T5p in order to change the cable. Does anyone have a link or just a clue? 
Do I need to unscrew the cups from the clams first?

Not hard. Taking off the cups are optional but will make the process much easier. Remove the pads, remove the holding frame, remove the driver, cut the cable, remove the metal band holding the cable. I bet you know the rest. Beyerdynamic has some of the most sensible design in the market, I prefer fixed cable than swappable design. Much.

Kindly use occ cable of 18awg or thicker.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #518 of 1,963
Quote:
Not hard. Taking off the cups are optional but will make the process much easier. Remove the pads, remove the holding frame, remove the driver, cut the cable, remove the metal band holding the cable. I bet you know the rest. Beyerdynamic has some of the most sensible design in the market, I prefer fixed cable than swappable design. Much.

Hmm... I tried removing the cushion and then the holding frame. But the driver is still completely fastened to the cup. It is totally different than the Youtube video from Zombie_X where he disassembles the T1 and T70. It looks easy on his videos but my T5p has a different construction... 

I am considering some silver(+occ) cables to make them brighter and faster.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #519 of 1,963
Quote:
Hmm... I tried removing the cushion and then the holding frame. But the driver is still completely fastened to the cup. It is totally different than the Youtube video from Zombie_X where he disassembles the T1 and T70. It looks easy on his videos but my T5p has a different construction... 

I am considering some silver(+occ) cables to make them brighter and faster.

Ah yes, the T5p has a much, much tighter attachment to the cup than the other models. Grab some tools to pick it out, but you gonna make some cosmetic scratch even with the best of care. You would also like to check on the diameter of your replacement cable and the original cable holder inner diameter (the triangle thing outside to hold your cable tight). If your replacement is too large, you will need to order a pair of the large cable holder. I have some stock in hand but seems that we are a bit too faraway form each other.

Would not recommend silver on T5p, using multi-stranding occ copper is more than enough. The original stock cable had acted as a damping factor which; once removed, the T5p would sound brighter already. While silver can make the sound fast and bright, the lower frequencies doesn't follow up as good and the result is kinda mixed.

Jan 6, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #520 of 1,963
Sorry, the wallpaper is more interesting than I realised, distracted by the headphones.

I always thought of cable replacement before, I like the change in sound but I am reluctant to change the cable because I expect Beyerdynamic know what they are doing when they make a cable.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #521 of 1,963
Quote:
Ah yes, the T5p has a much, much tighter attachment to the cup than the other models. Grab some tools to pick it out, but you gonna make some cosmetic scratch even with the best of care. You would also like to check on the diameter of your replacement cable and the original cable holder inner diameter (the triangle thing outside to hold your cable tight). If your replacement is too large, you will need to order a pair of the large cable holder. I have some stock in hand but seems that we are a bit too faraway form each other.

Would not recommend silver on T5p, using multi-stranding occ copper is more than enough. The original stock cable had acted as a damping factor which; once removed, the T5p would sound brighter already. While silver can make the sound fast and bright, the lower frequencies doesn't follow up as good and the result is kinda mixed.

OK thanks. So it is possible and I only have to apply a bit more force. I will try that. 

Yes - I prefer bright analytical sounding headphones. If I by using a copper+silver cable can get some of the same effect it gave to my HD650 I hope the T5p can open a bit more and come closer to the T70's sound they would be perfect!

Jan 6, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #522 of 1,963
Quote:
Sorry, the wallpaper is more interesting than I realised, distracted by the headphones.

I always thought of cable replacement before, I like the change in sound but I am reluctant to change the cable because I expect Beyerdynamic know what they are doing when they make a cable.

In fact, the cost of manufacturing an OCC cable can surpass the material cost of the driver unit. You pay for the R&D and tech cost for the headphone driver. While I really really like Beyer headphones, I can't compliment on the cable quality. It is known that the manufacturers really know what would it be sounded like with the stock cable... but that never mean that the driver is not limited by it.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #524 of 1,963
Quote:
Hi, the T5p has been using a replacement headband awaiting restoration, while both got recabled to 18awg occ cable. Was expecting some attention to the wallpaper tho!

T5p have a different plastic part where the metal gimbal enters the headband, I assume that's part of the temporary headband. My T5p are like the T1's in your photograph. 

I think I will recable my T5p myself in the future. I'm not sure how difficult that will be, or whether I can order cable alone.

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:08 AM Post #525 of 1,963
Quote:

Quote:

I was considering the ALO SXC 22awg. But this is thinner than 18awg and it has silver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back