beyerdynamic T5p: Photos and first impressions.
Jun 26, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #35 of 1,963
I am not interrested in this for portable use unless it weighs half of what the T1 does. Of course the cable is thinner and that helps a lot. But very interresting thing Beyerdynamic is on to now. T1, T5p T50p... what could be in the pipeline?

Jun 26, 2010 at 3:35 AM Post #37 of 1,963
It's still a model that perplexes me. US$1K, large, portable (?) and conservative styling ... but we'll see what isolation and SQ are. 32ohms impedance doesn't make it immediately easy to drive, but if it was a studio upgrade for the DT770, then they would have made it 250-600ohms, so there's gotta be a reason why they made it 32ohms...

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #38 of 1,963

Quote:
I'd wish they put a thicker cable on them, but not quite as thick as stock T1 cable. Maybe 24-27 awg conductors without braid shielding.

Nah, leave something for the recablers.

Quote:
Beautiful Herring bone design and typical Beyer quality.  Can't wait to plug them into my Clip+ and go running.

LOL

Quote:
I am not interrested in this for portable use unless it weighs half of what the T1 does. Of course the cable is thinner and that helps a lot. But very interresting thing Beyerdynamic is on to now. T1, T5p T50p... what could be in the pipeline?

If it weighs half of what the T-1 does and sounds almost the same, I'm in.  880 comfort is what I'm looking for.

USG
(edit to remove large empty space at bottom of post)

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:27 AM Post #39 of 1,963
I pulled this pic off another site.
They are quite big for portable use.

Jun 26, 2010 at 5:53 AM Post #40 of 1,963
If looks don't deceive me, there's no cup variation with the T5p? If that's true then it's dorktastic for actually portable use. The only major engineering concession to portable use (apart from the cable) seems to be moving the Tesla logoing further down so that the earcup supports aren't compromised by the cutout as on the T1.

The timing is odd though... I was thinking, rather than messing around with trialling yet more legions of low-priced closed phones I might as well just step up to the E8 as a winter portable. Then this comes out. Funny that. I'm sure Audio-Technica must be readying the ESW9999.9999 as well
tongue.gif

Jun 26, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #43 of 1,963

Quote:
I wonder when AKG will come to the party with a new flagship. All other manufacturers are very busy nowaday with launching flagships.

My guess is that since Harman Group acquired AKG they are more into mainstream consumer products than the love of High End products and the [costly] pursuit of great sound.

Jun 26, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #44 of 1,963
They don't have to. If they think there's no money in it because the high-end space is too crowded, they shouldn't. They do have to worry about brand equity though.

Jun 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #45 of 1,963

Quote:
My guess is that since Harman Group acquired AKG they are more into mainstream consumer products than the love of High End products and the [costly] pursuit of great sound.

I dunno about that.  Harmon has some pretty high-end brands too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back