beyerdynamic T51p & T51i impressions thread
Apr 5, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #181 of 191
All this talk of failing cables is scaring me. I got out of IEMs due to earwax issues and have been loving my T51s for a few months now. If they break what portable on-ears am I gonna be able to fall back on? Feels like this is not a booming market.

Apr 5, 2019 at 7:41 AM Post #182 of 191
All this talk of failing cables is scaring me. I got out of IEMs due to earwax issues and have been loving my T51s for a few months now. If they break what portable on-ears am I gonna be able to fall back on? Feels like this is not a booming market.
This is pretty ridiculous at this price point. I have used phones for 30 years, and even the cheapest never gave me trouble like these things have.
Just be bloody careful with them.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2019 at 8:04 AM Post #183 of 191
Beyer always seem to pinch pennies when it comes to cables.

Apr 5, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #184 of 191
Are you saying you had exactly my issue and found it was the cable?: low volume with absolutely no apparent cable crackle/cut-out when wiggling the cable anywhere?

Yes, in one pair. It was either the cable itself or the remote (I have T51i). The other had a driver problem (lower volume) and a cable problem (intermittent sound).

Recable the T51. Either yourself, or pay someone to do it.

Beyer always seem to pinch pennies when it comes to cables.

Not all headphones. Dt770/880/990 have decent cables, not great but better than average. Chinese Beyers, COP, T51 - terrible cables.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #187 of 191
Yesterday I replaced the pads on my T51p. My set is a very early one, and the pads were becoming rather flat.

The new pads are quite different: whereas the old ones are open at the back, and are glued both at the periphery and around the centre of the baffle ring, the new ones are sealed, attaching around the edge of the cup with a self-adhesive ring. They are made of a softer material and isolate rather better.

The sound has also changed. There is now a soundstage worth speaking of, and the balance is more neutral. The price is a slight loss of immediacy (presumably as the drivers are now further from the ears).

On the whole it is worth doing. There remains a slight resonance, audible on well-recorded solo piano. Presumably this is due to the sub-optimal cup volume. At the end of the day, “there ain’t no substitute for cubic inches”... :smile_phones:

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #188 of 191
I highly recommend recabling the headphone. The stock cable is terrible. Kiss the sound goodbye after a snag or two, it's ridiculous.

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #189 of 191
Yesterday I replaced the pads on my T51p. My set is a very early one, and the pads were becoming rather flat.

The new pads are quite different: whereas the old ones are open at the back, and are glued both at the periphery and around the centre of the baffle ring, the new ones are sealed, attaching around the edge of the cup with a self-adhesive ring. They are made of a softer material and isolate rather better.

The sound has also changed. There is now a soundstage worth speaking of, and the balance is more neutral. The price is a slight loss of immediacy (presumably as the drivers are now further from the ears).

On the whole it is worth doing. There remains a slight resonance, audible on well-recorded solo piano. Presumably this is due to the sub-optimal cup volume. At the end of the day, “there ain’t no substitute for cubic inches”... :smile_phones:

Hi
May I ask which pads you bought and where did you get them from?
Also considering re cabling mine. What cable did you use?
Thank you

Apr 23, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #190 of 191
Pads are the current official T51p replacement ones from Beyerdynamic (ordered from Amazon.de), and recabling was carried out by Forza Audio Works (Claire Hybrid with Viablue plug).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back