beyerdynamic T51p & T51i impressions thread
Jan 5, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #91 of 191
From your description, I think the T51p would be an excellent choice. They provide good sound isolation, and I think "lively but not piercing" fits them very well. They are easy to drive, I listen to them on an iPhone 6 as well as a USB-powered DAC (AudioEngine D1.)

I listen to them mostly on trains and buses, and they're great for that. When I listen to them in a quiet room, though, I really appreciate what an excellent pair of headphones they are.

But rather than go on and on, you should read Ken Rockwell's review of these headphones: http://www.kenrockwell.com/audio/beyer/t51i.htm. (The T51i includes an iPhone compatible mic, but the headphones are the same as the T51p.)

Hope this helps.

Jan 6, 2016 at 12:38 AM Post #92 of 191
Its a good one!  Definetly unique in its sound style compared to other headphones I own.  Comfy and stylish as well!
I got one for sale if anyones interested!  Lemme know!

Jan 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #97 of 191
Got mine in the store today, and I have mixed feelings. Fit and comfort just awesome, but sound has so much bass! And treble are little bit subdued... will sound become less bassy after burn in? I like clarity and dimensional sound, and overall signature is fun. All except EQ...

Jan 8, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #98 of 191
I don't judge any headphone before at least 20 or so hours of burn in. Being mechanical devices, speakers and headphones often require that much or more before they settle in to their final sound. Different headphones (or speakers) require different lengths of time. 

I recall the T51 didn't require that much burn in (I think I said so in an earlier comment), but I'd still give them some time. Also, if you have other HP amps (even a smartphone), you might try listening through them to get a broader perspective.

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:07 AM Post #100 of 191

I recall the T51 didn't require that much burn in (I think I said so in an earlier comment), but I'd still give them some time. Also, if you have other HP amps (even a smartphone), you might try listening through them to get a broader perspective.

I tried them also with my work PC, home laptop, and my smartphone. On PC\Laptop they sound even more bassy - I had to tune down bass frequencies and bring up treble more. Especially with MP3 tracks or lower quality online-audio, FLACs and APE files are a lot better.
With my Cowon C2 I like them on the street/public transport due to common bass leakage (so bass is a lot less prominent), but for PC I prefer my iGrado by a large margin.  

Jan 10, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #101 of 191
  I'm having trouble getting used to their sound as well. For some reason the PX 100-II sounds much better to me. 

My wife had PX-100-ii until they became broken last month, I find Sennheisers even more short on treble and more veiled. Maybe it is common "German sound" signature, with a lot lows and cut trebles..

Jan 14, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #102 of 191
For far, my impressions after week of use.

I had headphones to "burn-in" about for 20-25 hours of different music, it opened sound a little bit, and tamed down bass. But I still set bass frequencies to -1 and upper treble on +2 in Cowon C2 EQ. But with PC they are still kinda veiled and bassy... things getting worse, if recording is "dark" by itself. 
They sound great with Cowon on neutral or bright recordings, but on dark ones (like "Metropolis" by Dream Theater) - just dull and uninspiring. Narrow soundstage also not helps... on dark tracks I hear bass boom-boom, prevailing over treble and mids.

I think, if I should have  gone with Audio-Technica's instead (they are twice cheaper, and maybe brighter).
t51p is kinda overpriced for sound they have.

Jan 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #103 of 191
Thanks for your feedback, SirPalomid. Can't comment on the AT headphones, but my experience with the T51's doesn't match yours. I don't find the bass to be excessive, although as you mention, Beyer may have tuned these headphones to compensate for a certain amount of low-frequency ambient ("commuter") noise.

Not sure you can blame the headphones for bad recordings, if anything a headphone that brings out bad recording quality is actually doing its job!

Jan 31, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #104 of 191
Just found this thread, would have saved me a bunch of research.
I got a pair of T51i's a while back, and I've wrote up a review I post the link here when I complete posting it on head-fi.

But a quick spoiler, they are one nice set of cans
wink_face.gif

Good listening.

Feb 13, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #105 of 191
I just bought these. 

Yesterday, 

I accidentally applied firm pressure with both my thumbs on the inner lining of each ear pad, just over the drivers.

I felt them give a little, and I'm worried i may have damaged something.

Is this possible ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back