Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Jun 19, 2022 at 11:55 PM Post #601 of 727
The 700 and 900 pro sound quite different than the Tesla variants, at least the 2nd and 3rd gen variants I have (T1.2, 5.2p, 1770/1990/Amiron, T1.3, 5.3). I would say the variation from the 'Beyer sound' is less however. The Tesla generation tended to have pretty warm lower mids boosted up from the bass, certainly exemplified by the T1.3. The proX don't have this at all, their mids are flat, even the 700 pushes its V boost entirely to the bass side of its 250 Hz null. In this respect they sound much more like the Rapid Reflex gen, (770,880,990). Across the board there's a reduction in treble that makes the pro X sound more intimate and upfront detail but also smaller. I could certainly imagine that the driver could be tuned for more treble in other future home variants, but for their application the current tuning makes a lot sense.

What makes them sound Beyer to me is their lightning fast transients, flat phase response and deep extended bass. The latter is likely due to the common design priority of high magnetic flex density (like the 'Teslas' the Stellar are packing 1+ Tesla magnetic field strength).

It's not just the sound... every strand of these headphones' DNA announces it as a Beyer Pro headphone. Despite the entirely new pad design, if you showed me the 900's grey round velour pads on their own there would simply be no other possibility than that they are Beyerbuilt. Hel, just give me the headband strap and I would feel a strange evocation of the classic Beyer Rapid Reflex units... Beyer are masters of design and they are true to themselves here as always.

Don't get me wrong, I love the T5.3 too... they're sitting right next to the 700, 900 and T1.3 on my desk right now. They are just different beasts, perhaps best enjoyed as a stable.

That is true about the Tesla headphones having warm lower mids, but that's what I love about the T1.3. Oh okay so they're more akin to the rapid reflex line but less trebly. I'll probably like them quite a bit as my main problem with the rapid reflex drivers was related to the treble.

Oh okay good to hear they keep the Beyer traits, that's what I was hoping for, I'll have to listen to a pair sometime. I'll eventually get one of those headphones but I may wait for a future release. I currently just own two Beyers, the T1.3 and a modified DT 480.

Do hope to try out the T5.3 more in the future and hope to get some time with one of the new Stellar.45 driver headphones to see how I feel about them. Not very familiar with Tesla Gen 1 or the DT 100, etc. drivers. I believe there are different variations on the rapid reflex driver as some older Beyers had different magnet/airflow designs to them.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #602 of 727
Thanks guys for the help, I had an opportunity and bought an open box deal from audio46 for a very good price 🙂

Lets hope this makes me happy, I like edm music a lot but according some feedbacks the t5 is not as fast for edm? Will see how the synergy paires with a more neutral analytical dx320 maybe it have a good contre balance and things will align perfectly.

I also need comfort and lightweight as well best isolation. I once had the z7m2 and wasn’t impressed by it much, it felt like it wanted to suck my eardrums inside out 😅

The meze liric seems like a good option maybe too. I do like lcd 2c sound signature but darn that dumbbells weight on your head is quite nuts.

By any chance have any one heard Bowers and Wilkins pi7 or px7? Seems like the T5 ressembles the sound signature of those hmmm. I also do like that kind of tuning a lot 😇
So how do you like the T5?

Jul 11, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #603 of 727
Do you think these would be a good upgrade from the Audioquest NightOwl? My NightOwls are at the point of falling apart where I really can't use them anymore. Looking for a closed-back headphone with a similar sound (i.e. warmer), though obviously it can't be exactly the same.

Also looking at the Focal Radiance, but don't know if I will be able to find those anywhere.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2022 at 11:56 PM Post #604 of 727
Do you think these would be a good upgrade from the Audioquest NightOwl? My NightOwls are at the point of falling apart where I really can't use them anymore. Looking for a closed-back headphone with a similar sound (i.e. warmer), though obviously it can't be exactly the same.

Also looking at the Focal Radiance, but don't know if I will be able to find those anywhere.
Someone mentioned in the Radiance thread that headphones.com have bought the remaining stock from Focal. BTW I own both the T5.3 and Radiance and find the latter more comfortable.

Jul 12, 2022 at 12:06 AM Post #605 of 727
Someone mentioned in the Radiance thread that headphones.com have bought the remaining stock from Focal. BTW I own both the T5.3 and Radiance and find the latter more comfortable.
Would you mind writing a brief sound comparison?

Jul 14, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #609 of 727
I kinda hunt for either of these. Can't really decides which i want more. If you could keep just one of them which would it be?
It would be the Radiance because of the comfort. I find the T5.3 difficult to listen to for more than an album.

Jul 14, 2022 at 10:35 PM Post #611 of 727
The 700 and 900 pro sound quite different than the Tesla variants, at least the 2nd and 3rd gen variants I have (T1.2, 5.2p, 1770/1990/Amiron, T1.3, 5.3).

Hi Bret, is the 5.2 still worth getting? I can see a "heavily" discounted price at the local audio store. (around $500USD price difference in local currency)

Thanks!

Jul 14, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #612 of 727
Hi Bret, is the 5.2 still worth getting? I can see a "heavily" discounted price at the local audio store. (around $500USD price difference in local currency)

Thanks!

Absolutely, the T5.2 is still well worth a listen, particularly at a nice price like that.

They have lower distortion stock than the gen 3s, and a bit more forward tuning. They're also gorgeous, one of my favorite cans to look at...

20200417_233149~2.jpg

Jul 16, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #613 of 727
Absolutely, the T5.2 is still well worth a listen, particularly at a nice price like that.

They have lower distortion stock than the gen 3s, and a bit more forward tuning. They're also gorgeous, one of my favorite cans to look at...

Hi Brad, is the ear pads (external and internal diameter) the same size as T1s and the newer T5? They seemed smaller from videos/pics compared to something like 1990/900. Thanks again

Edit: I saw 1 review says the cups are bordering on being on-ear.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #614 of 727
Hi Brad, is the ear pads (external and internal diameter) the same size as T1s and the newer T5? They seemed smaller from videos/pics compared to something like 1990/900. Thanks again

Edit: I saw 1 review says the cups are bordering on being on-ear.

I have not measured them, but from feel I would agree that the Teslas (with maybe the exception of the T1.2) are a bit smaller diameter pads compared to the 1990/990. The newer 900/700 pads are smaller still but taper outward inside the cup (the pad encompasses your ear).

I have a big head and my ears are proportional. I max extend pretty much all the headbands on my Beyers (think I have a notch or two to spare on the 1990/1770 but you get the gist). I find the round beyer pads (not just the Teslas) tuck my ears in a bit if I dig around check with my fingers. It's not at all uncomfortable for me size wise, and I would in no way describe them as on ear. The bigger issue on the T5 comfort wise for me is that they don't use the typical Beyerdynamic velour, which I do really prefer, but that is the cost for that bass... and that bass :)

Good luck and keep in mind that comfort is particularly subjective with headphones, YMMV. What's the return policy on your T5.2 offer if you don't like them? If I can't wear a headphone due to discomfort or can't get a seal I'll just return them...

Jul 17, 2022 at 7:15 AM Post #615 of 727
I have not measured them, but from feel I would agree that the Teslas (with maybe the exception of the T1.2) are a bit smaller diameter pads compared to the 1990/990. The newer 900/700 pads are smaller still but taper outward inside the cup (the pad encompasses your ear).

if you were comparing the size of the pads of the T5.2 with another beyer (new or old), which one is of similar size?

I'd had a DT880 many years ago (only lost it as our office got broken into!) and I found the size of those pads and ear opening sufficient for my ears. Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back