Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #571 of 738
I just took this screenshot on the beyerdynamic.de page for the contents of the T5 package:
A554BF3E-196A-401E-AB3D-69B2DCF54146.jpeg
That case looks like the one in your photos, doesn't it? Or do I get something wrong?
Ha! Well I never checked the actual Beyerdynamic website lol... The youtube vids were possibly from US or other countries, but I never thought to check the website lol [facepalm]. Cheers for clearing this up so promptly, you have made my day

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #572 of 738
Ha! Well I never checked the actual Beyerdynamic website lol... The youtube vids were possibly from US or other countries, but I never thought to check the website lol [facepalm]. Cheers for clearing this up so promptly, you have made my day
Glad I could clear this up. I was a bit astonished because the case looked just as I'd have expected...
Yes, its probably different in different regions or over time, currently the US site shows the same case. Thinking about this I seem to remember a darker case with a different outer sheeting... maybe they switched that after some time.

Long story short, it looks fine and I think you can enjoy your new T5 without regrets :)

Apr 26, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #573 of 738
Glad I could clear this up. I was a bit astonished because the case looked just as I'd have expected...
Yes, its probably different in different regions or over time, currently the US site shows the same case. Thinking about this I seem to remember a darker case with a different outer sheeting... maybe they switched that after some time.

Long story short, it looks fine and I think you can enjoy your new T5 without regrets :)
Yup, cheers so much!!

Apr 26, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #575 of 738

Earlier made T1/T5’s have the case of the T1.2. Which is a black velour material. My T1.3 and T1.2 had the same black velour case with different plaques. Newer ones have a more denim look to them.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 9:44 PM Post #577 of 738
It's also worth noting that such high-end headphones are less likely to be fake like happening to Airpods.

Apr 27, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #578 of 738
Hi guys, bit of an emergency here. I bought some 'new other' T5's for best part of £600 from ebay. Trouble is the outser casing doesn't match those that I have seen online and on youtube unboxings, the luxury velour type outer casing isn't there on mine. It's a definite material casing. The earphones look (and sound) decent enough, though being my first set of 'decent' cans, I'm not sure I would tell the difference going by sound, having never auditioned these in a shop. The earphones, serial etc match and are identical but this case makes me have doubts. Do any of you owners, new and old, have this case? Perhaps the case is a UK/EU version that's different to the US (I'm in UK)? Apologies for the huge images, just wanted to give as much detail as poss.

Panicking massively here they could be fake... Please let me know ASAP
PXL_20220426_185945263.jpgPXL_20220426_185957936.jpgPXL_20220426_190006191.jpgPXL_20220426_190043749.jpgPXL_20220426_190050157.jpg
I have the same case from Norway, so no worries.

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #581 of 738
I’ll have an opportunity to listen to them at last: I decided to attend High End fair in Munich this year. Looking forward to get them into my hands :)
I am looking forward to hear what you think of them since you have a long time Beyerdynamic experience.

Apr 27, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #582 of 738
Just received a new pair and thankfully they are not as dark/veiled as the T1 Gen3. Bass is quite prominent but not too much.
Case is good quality although I miss a handle or similar. To my ears a considerable improvement to Gen 1 and 2. Actually, totally different!

May 29, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #583 of 738
Just received a new pair and thankfully they are not as dark/veiled as the T1 Gen3. Bass is quite prominent but not too much.
Case is good quality although I miss a handle or similar. To my ears a considerable improvement to Gen 1 and 2. Actually, totally different!
3rd gen drivers are really insane in their capability. I'm thinking about getting T5's. I loved T1.3 for that impactful low end and insanely enjoyable and overwhelming tonality but as top mids and highs were stunning for some tracks, they were killing as many others from my library. Is T5 better in this regard (e.g. male vocals were to recessed on T1.3 for me)?

May 31, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #584 of 738
3rd gen drivers are really insane in their capability. I'm thinking about getting T5's. I loved T1.3 for that impactful low end and insanely enjoyable and overwhelming tonality but as top mids and highs were stunning for some tracks, they were killing as many others from my library. Is T5 better in this regard (e.g. male vocals were to recessed on T1.3 for me)?
Can’t really tell you as I sold T1Gen3 rather quickly. They never opened up for me.

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #585 of 738
Just heard the T5 3rd gen yesterday and holy moly!! They sounded amazing! 😍

I have had a love hate relationship with Beyer headphones. Over the years I've owned and then eventually sold off a number of beyers (DT990 Pro, DT880 600Ohm, DT1770, T90, T51i, T5p). I can't say that there was ever a beyer that came without problems. In general, Beyers do somethings exceptionally well and others horribly wrong. One of the things that beyer never got correct with any of it's headphone was the tuning. Something was always off (esp the low end).

I think Beyerdynamic has finally struck gold with the T5 Gen3. This is by far the best beyer I have tried. Period. I'd go as far as to say that the T5 is probably one of the best deals in a closed back you can get right now.

I got to listen to the T1 3rd Gen last year and had somewhat similar mixed feelings. The tuning was definitely new with no sibilance and peaks but again it sounded a bit "wonky". The mids were just not right. Anyway, I shrugged them off as "another beyer" and never bothered with the T5. Wrong decision.

The T5 is the most properly tuned beyer I have heard in a while. The overall sound is relatively flat with an emphasis on the low end (soooo tastefully done.....oh ma gawd!!!). The signature is slightly dark but not veiled or constricted. Highs are tame and very nimble. Mids are lush and warm with great texture and resolution. The king is obviously the bass here. Damn! This thing goes low! And not only that, it does this with amazing clarity and definition. It's almost like there's a very high end sub in there somewhere😅. Having said this, I don't think it's a "bass-head" headphone at all. Not by a mile. I think this is a very natural sounding set with a lush sound (borderline warm).

The tuning is so good here that I was actually flabbergasted. In a blind audition I would never have guessed that this is a beyer headphone. The only thing that might make someone think that it's a beyer is the detail level. It's on par or better than most upper tier dynamic headsets out there.

I'm really impressed. However I'm also at a loss to find something to compare this to. The Fostex TH900 Mk2 that I own and love is quite different from this. It veers towards an analytical tone: favouring quality over quantity (both ends of the spectrum). The beyer on the other hand is more balanced serving both in equal measure.

I'm still burning in my newly acquired MDR-Z1R (got an awseome deal). I would reserve my views on this comparsion coz I'm still trying to get the hang of the sony's sound.

(Comparing from memory):

The HD820 is another closed back from Deutschland but shares no similarities with the Beyer (except the detail levels maybe). The 820 is highly resolving, anaylitical and techincally proficient with great upper end coverage but sounds a bit dry and thin. The T5 is more lively and natural with better lower end extension. The 820 also had this annoying hardess in the upper mids IIRC , which made it a bit difficult to listen to for longer periods of time. Not so with the T5. It has a very inoffensive tuning.

The closest headphone of a similar tuning I can remember would be the ZMF Eikon. Both headphones have this warmth and lushness that can't be put to words and can only be felt when you hear them. The ZMF and the T5 are completely different in almost everything (build, tech, etc), but surprisingly sound quite similar. However differences would be evident if someone heard them side by side. The ZMF is more of a vinatge sound with a decidedly bassy character and (slightly) hot treble. It's fun and lively (Jazz on the eikon is to die for). The T5 on the other hand is a more mature and modern sounding can with an emphasis on detail and quality of the bass and highs. T5 is more verstaile of the two especially given that the Eikon needs good amping for sure (which is fair considering that the both are targeted towards a completely different audience).

ZMF Verite Closed and Kennerton Rognir could also be valid comparisons since they have similar TOTL pedigree but again the tuning is very different in each headphone and the they are on completely different price tiers.

I don't know if many would share my view but I've gotten used to having a difference in opinion especially when it comes to closed back headphones. Closed backs are very sensitive to fit, seal and pinna size and can sound really different to two individuals depending on the above factors. I had a similar finding with the Neumann NDH20 (everyone hates them; I bought em for the full retail price: yes they're that good), Fostex TH900 and Audioquest Night Owl (not to say that the night owl did not have problems but it wasn't bad sounding as people usually say they are).

For me the T5 has to be the find of the year. I'll see how things go with my Z1R but if it doesn't work I'm sure of what to replace it with😊😊😊

Hi mate I know it been a while but would you be able to give some impressions on the t5 3 after all this time owing them? I am also very interested to know how do you describe the ndh20 vs t5 and if there is any other closed back you think could be a better option? For me also best isolation is very important.

Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back