Beyerdynamic T5 (3rd Generation)
Aug 16, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #634 of 765
Managed to get a set of these. Quite enjoying them so far. lol after everything I’d read I was expecting more bass and a very dark sound. They actually sound quite well balanced. Interesting. I’ll keep going with them

Aug 18, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #635 of 765
They sound really good with the beyerdynamic t5 3rd Gen. The headphones are quite dark but the hugo pushes out loads of detail. They compliment each other

Aug 19, 2022 at 3:48 AM Post #637 of 765
They are strange/different but I really like them. They are bassy but weirdly sound balanced too. Loads of detail

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:43 AM Post #638 of 765
I wouldn't call these dark, but they're definitely on the warmer side (which is perfect for me). Sadly, though I've enjoyed getting to test them for the past couple of days, I don't think I'll be buying a pair for myself, due to the small ear cups. A couple times I suddenly noticed I was hearing too much background noise and realized I was not getting a good seal. I had to adjust them around several times before I could find a fit that worked. And having to do that multiple times in a day was a deal-breaker for me. :frowning2: I need headphones that go completely over my ears every time. The sound signature is just about my ideal though.

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #639 of 765
I love how same page posts contradict each other. One user says I was surprised how these aren't very dark, then another says these are quite dark lol. This is why we must listen for ourselves.
I think this may have to do with what kind of music you are listening to. If you listen mostly to classical music (like I do), you will find them dark, even too dark. But those who are into bass heavy music may find them not dark enough.

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #640 of 765
They are a very non fatiguing headphone. They definitely have a space in my headphone collection. I’m not sure if I would recommend them as a one and only headphone though

Aug 19, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #641 of 765
Aug 19, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #642 of 765
So, I found a need for good closed headphones. Headphones that i can put on and enjoy my music in rather small environment so isolation is crucial. Having experience with open back HP I used to love spacious, detailed but overwhelming experience where a bit of boosted bass... never hurt nobody :)

T5 3rd gen. I had them for an over the week - I don't know if Beyer changes anything comparing to early models (this was 104XXX with grey case), but i really expected something completely off knowing how T1.3 sounds (early one). To my surprise, they were great out of the box, a bit laid back vocals but still present. Overall kinda balanced with a little bass boost which is absolutely fine - this are for enjoyment not production.
As T1s- tesla drivers (despite being only 32ohms) need power, the more, the better. I used IEMagni with Modi 3+ on high gain.

Few more evenings with this to get used to the sound and I found that i really enjoy them but i wish vocals and guitar strings were a bit more forward, bit more sparky.
I begin to test if i can and how i can tweak them. I roll few different Dekoni pads - nothing that i had beats OEM pleather (here i would love to check genuine leather or hybrids which unfortunately i didn't have) and i checked how absorber disk affects sound, and yea, it affects very much. With T1.3 you could get it out and get really close to T1.2. With this, they become absolutely useless for music listening. Absolutely, don't bother taking it out, just don't.

Then - for the first time for me i tried to EQ headphones. I'm complete amateur in this and i didn't even bother to learn about all this settings in APO. I went with Oratory1990 preset, left only high frequency settings and tweak them to my liking. What i can say; This are the best Beyers that I listen to. I absolutely love them. (Others were: DT990, DT177X, DT1990, T1.2, T1.3, Xelentos)

With EQ, vocals moved a bit forward, strings etc. become more present, everything else, remained the same. I know I need to adjust it more (i feel that it is even to much) but i just put it down here so you can comment on this as well.
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 2262 Hz Gain -1.42 dB Q 4.77
Filter 2: ON HSC 1.75 dB Fc 2567 Hz Gain 1.29 dB
Filter 3: ON LSC 2.24 dB Fc 4494 Hz Gain 1.14 dB
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 16711 Hz Gain 0.93 dB Q 0.29

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 2:14 AM Post #643 of 765
So, I found a need for good closed headphones. Headphones that i can put on and enjoy my music in rather small environment so isolation is crucial. Having experience with open back HP I used to love spacious, detailed but overwhelming experience where a bit of boosted bass... never hurt nobody :)

T5 3rd gen. I had them for an over the week - I don't know if Beyer changes anything comparing to early models (this was 104XXX with grey case), but i really expected something completely off knowing how T1.3 sounds (early one). To my surprise, they were great out of the box, a bit laid back vocals but still present. Overall kinda balanced with a little bass boost which is absolutely fine - this are for enjoyment not production.
As T1s- tesla drivers (despite being only 32ohms) need power, the more, the better. I used IEMagni with Modi 3+ on high gain.

Few more evenings with this to get used to the sound and I found that i really enjoy them but i wish vocals and guitar strings were a bit more forward, bit more sparky.
I begin to test if i can and how i can tweak them. I roll few different Dekoni pads - nothing that i had beats OEM pleather (here i would love to check genuine leather or hybrids which unfortunately i didn't have) and i checked how absorber disk affects sound, and yea, it affects very much. With T1.3 you could get it out and get really close to T1.2. With this, they become absolutely useless for music listening. Absolutely, don't bother taking it out, just don't.

Then - for the first time for me i tried to EQ headphones. I'm complete amateur in this and i didn't even bother to learn about all this settings in APO. I went with Oratory1990 preset, left only high frequency settings and tweak them to my liking. What i can say; This are the best Beyers that I listen to. I absolutely love them. (Others were: DT990, DT177X, DT1990, T1.2, T1.3, Xelentos)

With EQ, vocals moved a bit forward, strings etc. become more present, everything else, remained the same. I know I need to adjust it more (i feel that it is even to much) but i just put it down here so you can comment on this as well.
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 2262 Hz Gain -1.42 dB Q 4.77
Filter 2: ON HSC 1.75 dB Fc 2567 Hz Gain 1.29 dB
Filter 3: ON LSC 2.24 dB Fc 4494 Hz Gain 1.14 dB
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 16711 Hz Gain 0.93 dB Q 0.29

Same here for me, with a tiny bit of EQ they become really great, rather than good.

Good to use oratory as a starting point, and the adjustments can be quite small!

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #644 of 765
Hi there! So this T5 has been intriguing me for a long time but I still had the T5p.2 and I had to sell it it because of the shrill treble.
I didn't liked it how the vocals were, they sounded loud, elevated is the correct term? Vocals are one of the uppermids? Anyway, I really loved the T5p.2 design but it was a better idea to find its new owner who can enjoy it. So this T5, is it better than the 2nd? Or anyone who owns/owned both can share experiences?

Jan 23, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #645 of 765
Hi there! So this T5 has been intriguing me for a long time but I still had the T5p.2 and I had to sell it it because of the shrill treble.
I didn't liked it how the vocals were, they sounded loud, elevated is the correct term? Vocals are one of the uppermids? Anyway, I really loved the T5p.2 design but it was a better idea to find its new owner who can enjoy it. So this T5, is it better than the 2nd? Or anyone who owns/owned both can share experiences?
I have T5p.2 and treble is spot on for me, way more balanced then most of Beyers that i heard (warm/balance). Don't know if it is my cans or my hearing :smile: Overall they sound very very close to each other, 3rd gen drivers are tiny bit more capable then 2nd imo but the tuning is achieved through front dampening of the driver. Because of that It has its typical characteristics which you might take in account. Highs - vocals are a bit less pronounce and a bit more laid back as far as I remember but again, difference is not that huge. I would say its very margin. From what you are saying , 3rd gen might be a good direction. Design and build is superior to 2nd gen. Get yourself 3rd on Amazon and decide by yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back