Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Mar 18, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #1,021 of 1,833
I think from apart from slight quality control warranty issue I have had, I cannot fault them, but I can understand why people would be put off from the new tuning.
I also think alot of people take youtuber reviews from r gospel and forget that it's all subjective, the 3rd gen have not had the best reviews regarding YouTube anyway, looks like people are swerving this gen

There has always been mild QC issues with Beyer, they’re built well overall and imho make some of the best dynamic drivers out there but I would say that is one complaint I do have with them. Even on many new dynamics I still think they are worse than many Beyers. I’ve owned many headphones but always go back to Beyers due to their drivers, few sound right to me outside Beyers with long term ownership, my three main headphones are all Beyer flagships though one is a modified vintage. But I do think it’s about time for Beyer to offer a new driver tech, not only as a way to further push the sound envelope but also as something to help make them stand out more in the saturating and more competitive market.

The youtubers did hurt them and honestly I don’t agree with the popular YouTuber reviewers impressions or opinions much. People do need to learn not to take their impressions as gospel. Figuring out what you want in audio does take time and experience though, it’s just how these things work. There are some trends in this hobby in the last few years that are already causing problems and may cause more major problems later on and I worry some major growing pains are going to cause a lot of problems in the not too distant future. I do hope these headphones gain more fans over time as more people give them a chance. Some may dislike them, some may be neutral, and some may love them. But I think these will carve out their own niche in time.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 5:51 AM Post #1,022 of 1,833
Could somebody describe this 'new tuning' please?

I'm interested from a T1.2 perspective. I use headphone amps with my T1.2's and they sound extremely good. However, they are a little bright and bass-light for me. I never use any EQ in any part of my audio chain as I like bit-perfect replay.

Much more bass impact/presence, more lower mids, less upper mids, and toned down treble. Lots of body and meat to the sound. More spacious sound than the T1.2. More dynamic sounding whereas the T1.2 is softer sounding. Slightly more physically open than the T1.2 and considered an open headphone by Beyer whereas the T1.2 is a semi-open. I find this does address the slight resonance of the gen 2 and helps make the gen 3 a little more transparent than the gen 2. The front fabric on the gen 3 makes it harder to tell it’s more open but it is a bit more open than the gen 2. Take out the foam and the physical openness becomes more noticeable.

The T1.3 is a bit more like the DT 1990 w/ balanced pads in terms of dynamic character but more bass and notably darker in the upper mids and treble. It has been a long time since I heard the DT 1990 and haven’t heard them side by side.

The T1.2 sounds a lot like the Amiron Home but the T1.2 is warmer in the mids and less bassy and the Amiron Home has a cleaner slightly-sharper sound with more sub-bass. Both the T1.2 and Amiron Home are on the soft sounding side with the T1.2 a little softer sounding.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 7:08 AM Post #1,023 of 1,833
T1.3 stay the same beyer tune, velvet-like mid and softer , longer decay, the problem is the bass part, in some idea case, T1.3's bass would be richness and surround-like , its not the kind of hard-hit bass ,but dramatic lower the impedance makes total thing a mess.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #1,025 of 1,833
Much more bass impact/presence, more lower mids, less upper mids, and toned down treble. Lots of body and meat to the sound. More spacious sound than the T1.2. More dynamic sounding whereas the T1.2 is softer sounding. Slightly more physically open than the T1.2 and considered an open headphone by Beyer whereas the T1.2 is a semi-open. I find this does address the slight resonance of the gen 2 and helps make the gen 3 a little more transparent than the gen 2. The front fabric on the gen 3 makes it harder to tell it’s more open but it is a bit more open than the gen 2. Take out the foam and the physical openness becomes more noticeable.

The T1.3 is a bit more like the DT 1990 w/ balanced pads in terms of dynamic character but more bass and notably darker in the upper mids and treble. It has been a long time since I heard the DT 1990 and haven’t heard them side by side.

The T1.2 sounds a lot like the Amiron Home but the T1.2 is warmer in the mids and less bassy and the Amiron Home has a cleaner slightly-sharper sound with more sub-bass. Both the T1.2 and Amiron Home are on the soft sounding side with the T1.2 a little softer sounding.

Thanks for taking the time to provide these details. I used to have the Amiron Home and loved the dark nature of it with the elevated bass and sub-bass.

Mar 18, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #1,026 of 1,833
Most Mainstream headphone amp's low gain not low enough for T1 3rd, even worse with high output source (balance out) , and you would got so call "hard-hit bass" or "clubhouse sound" , this kind of bass maybe fun, but not right, and sometimes rattle horribly .

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #1,027 of 1,833
Thanks for taking the time to provide these details. I used to have the Amiron Home and loved the dark nature of it with the elevated bass and sub-bass.
No problem. I like both the T1.2 and T1.3 quite a bit, they offer different sound signatures and I can easily live with both. Also on some systems the T1.2 sounds better and some systems the T1.3 sounds better. The T1.2 is no slouch dynamically just more softer in tone. I find the T1.3 a little drier sounding than the more wet sounding T1.2. I'm very fond of the Amiron Home myself, I do miss it some, because the T1.2 while somewhat similar doesn't have that midrange clarity or the sub-bass of the Amiron Home. The Amiron is a bit leaner sounding in the mids and I do find it a tad brighter in the upper treble than the T1.2 but not much.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #1,028 of 1,833
Most Mainstream headphone amp's low gain not low enough for T1 3rd, even worse with high output source (balance out) , and you would got so call "hard-hit bass" or "clubhouse sound" , this kind of bass maybe fun, but not right, and sometimes rattle horribly .
I have to say I did not have any of those experiences with T1.3. All my amps had no problems on low gain and I also did not perceive the sound as "clubhouse sound" and did not hear any sorts of rattling.

Mar 19, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #1,030 of 1,833
I have to say I did not have any of those experiences with T1.3. All my amps had no problems on low gain and I also did not perceive the sound as "clubhouse sound" and did not hear any sorts of rattling.
Haven't experienced rattling on any amp or even on portable devices, if it's rattling may be a defective driver. I haven't been able to get this headphone to distort. I personally really like this on the Asgard 3 with the multibit module. I like it better on the Asgard 3 with Multibit than the much more expensive Lyr 3/Bifrost 2 combo.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #1,031 of 1,833
I’ve been keeping an eye on the prices of the T1.3 here in the U.K. It’s pretty much full price everywhere if you want a sealed new one. This is curious as I purchased my Xelentos, T1.2, T5P 2nd Gen and Aventho Wired at greatly discounted prices of up to 35% off whilst they were still the current models.

I’m holding out for a little longer to see if the price does come down from U.K. suppliers.
From where do you purchase? Getting that much discount is a crime 😂😂 ..

Mar 22, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #1,032 of 1,833
As the owner of the original MK1 I’m very hesitant about the new tuning. Didn’t even love the Mk2 as they sounded different to what I remember the Beyer house sound to be.
Personal preference and that aside, it almost seems they tried to adjust it what they thought the consumer wanted. Except at this level, there are so many options.

Mar 25, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #1,034 of 1,833
I have a pair of Fostex TH-X00 from when they were released. The only pair of headphones I've bought since then were the Sony XM4's for their noise cancellation, and I want an upgrade from the X00. I have an Arcam ir-dac ii and a AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt for more portable use. I want fun headphones like the X00, but improved in nearly every way. I want good bass without being muddy or too boomy, I want concise non-screetchy treble and vocals, I want an excellent soundstage and overall clarity. I was considering the DT1990 Pro for a while but I think these may fit my needs having more bass than the 1990 while having less screetchy but still defined treble. I'll listen to jazz, rap, and alternative rock on a daily basis. I'm beyond excited for the new Hiatus Kaiyote album and I want a headphone upgrade to really (attempt to) blow me away by the time it comes out.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #1,035 of 1,833
I will post this in some Beyer threads...

If any of you (people in general of the forum) from Europe is going to buy something from Beyerdynamic Germany (the web shop), could you contact with me via PM before make the order, please?

I have a problem with my order from their website and maybe you can help me, thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back