Beyerdynamic T1 3rd Gen out now
Apr 28, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #1,051 of 1,824
I finally got me a set of these. Initial impressions are these are tonally fantastic sounding. More to come.
Nice. I am looking forward to hear more.
What headphones are you currently using the most? I think you are the first one who I have read about, who liked them right from the beginning. I needed to spend some time with them before I could appreciate their tonality.

Apr 28, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #1,052 of 1,824
What headphones are you currently using the most? I think you are the first one who I have read about, who liked them right from the beginning. I needed to spend some time with them before I could appreciate their tonality.
I liked the immediately myself, did find them different but I never disliked them or had trouble listening to them. Many people seem to be taken aback by them at first. I’ve always loved their tonality and they sound natural in ways most headphones don’t. I’m curious about his impressions as well.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #1,053 of 1,824
I have a lot of high resolution headphones and these seem to fit right in. They aren't the best in my collection at delivering a highly resolute, spacious sound, but I would rank them above the previous generation of T1's. The tuning of the T1.3's has changed and I like it. The T1.3's don't seem to be lacking in any frequency. What's great, is the treble is not nearly as rolled off as thought it would be after reading what other people thought of them. It could my they have good synergy with my Formula S/Powerman with the Hugo 2 as the DAC or they could be well broken in. I did buy these used. Whatever the case, I'm finding the T1.3's to sound really balanced with a nice tone and timbre.

I'll group T1.3's in with my Pioneer SE-Master1's and Sony MDR-Z1R's. They are all very musical, with excellent dynamics, and very good overall clarity. What's better is the T1.3's is cheaper than both headphones, but the sound quality is on par with them. I need to spend more time with them to really get a feel for their sound, but the T1.3's are really good.

Apr 28, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #1,054 of 1,824
I have a lot of high resolution headphones and these seem to fit right in. They aren't the best in my collection at delivering a highly resolute, spacious sound, but I would rank them above the previous generation of T1's. The tuning of the T1.3's has changed and I like it. The T1.3's don't seem to be lacking in any frequency. What's great, is the treble is not nearly as rolled off as thought it would be after reading what other people thought of them. It could my they have good synergy with my Formula S/Powerman with the Hugo 2 as the DAC or they could be well broken in. I did buy these used. Whatever the case, I'm finding the T1.3's to sound really balanced with a nice tone and timbre.

I'll group T1.3's in with my Pioneer SE-Master1's and Sony MDR-Z1R's. They are all very musical, with excellent dynamics, and very good overall clarity. What's better is the T1.3's is cheaper than both headphones, but the sound quality is on par with them. I need to spend more time with them to really get a feel for their sound, but the T1.3's are really good.
I think some of the complaints stem from people seeing the measurements and how they measure in the upper mids. I never found their treble lacking or even the upper mids despite their measurements. I think these were unfairly bashed early on. They are better overall headphones than the previous generation. I keep my gen 2 around for it's different sound signature but it's not quite in the same league in terms of overall resolution.

I'm still wanting to hear the T5 Gen 3, especially compared to the Z1R (which I haven't heard in a long time but loved when I did).

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,055 of 1,824
Headband clamp force is much heavier than traditional T1.1/T1.2/AKT1P. I reshaped the top of the headband to fit better. On large heads the pressure around the ears is quite notable.
Jesus Christ. I've owned my T1.2 for nearly two years and still can't wear them for more than an hour or two. If the T1.3 has even more clamping force it's a torture device for people with wider heads.

May 1, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,056 of 1,824
Jesus Christ. I've owned my T1.2 for nearly two years and still can't wear them for more than an hour or two. If the T1.3 has even more clamping force it's a torture device for people with wider heads.
I have a head on the wider side and I find my T1.2 almost too loose after a lot of break in. It clamps the least of any headphone I own. The T1.3 is still clampy after owning it since it came out.

May 22, 2021 at 1:32 AM Post #1,057 of 1,824
Got my T1 3rd Gen about a week ago, and I've been going through the burn in process. This headphone sounded like a hot bassy mess out of the box. Just awful. 45 hours of burn in later, and oh my god... night and day difference. The pairing with my Dragonfly Cobalt is spectacularly good: wide, lifelike imaging, some dang punchy bass, and tons of detail, but smooth enough to still be pleasant. The fact that my phone, with a tiny little usb stick dac, can sound this good blows me away. The T13's warmth and the Dragonfly Cobalt's coolness just seem to complete each other, while harmoniously combining their soundstaging powers. I cannot fathom portable audio sounding better than this, I feel like I reached the pinnacle. I wouldn't whip this setup out in a noisy public place, but it does isolate some treble noise, like crickets at night or wind, so it's good for quiet outside settings.

Attachments

• IMG_20210518_185541752.jpg
    IMG_20210518_185541752.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
May 25, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #1,058 of 1,824
To me, the Beyer T1.3 is such a well-judged headphone. A balance of virtues. I love when I put on a headphone from my collection, get listening, and temporarily forget what headphone I'm using. That's a good thing. It just gets out of the way and gives you the music. I have only a few headphones like that, where I'm not always very conscious of which one I'm listening with. The T1.3 is one of them. Yes, it still has its own distinctive character-- it's not characterless--but more than not I think it has the virtue of not trying to draw attention to itself, and instead serves the music. Love it for that. Now playing some symphonies of the composer (and astronomer!) William Herschel, and it's sounding fine...

May 25, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #1,059 of 1,824
It's very strange feeling, If by FR measure, T1.3 would be rather bassy headphone, but as much times as i use it, I found that its bass is not bassy or hard hitting as imaging, but gentle, natural and airy, yeah, I even don't know why i chose the term "airy" to describe the bass presence.

Last edited:
May 25, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #1,060 of 1,824
It's very strange feeling, If by FR measure, T1.3 would be rather bassy headphone, but as much times as i use it, I found that its bass is not bassy or hard hitting as imaging, but gentle, natural and airy, yeah, I even don't know why i chose the term "airy" to describe the bass presence.
The bass I found is appropriate for the track, it’s not overwhelming and never feels out of place. It hits hard when called for, it’s soft when called for, etc. Instead it feels like the bass has something that most other headphones lack. I never found the upper mids lacking either despite the measurements.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #1,061 of 1,824
HI everyone

Just got my T1.3 today, bought them used "like new".
I have to say I am a bit shocked, the change in sound from my DT1990 and DT880 is quite significative and I struggle to find the "beyer sound" here.... I find my T1.3 to be very weak in the mids.
I initially plugged them to my Heed Dactilus DAC / Canalot AMP, but the result was awful. Bass was muddy and mids almost non existing. However, this may be an issue with the amp output impedance.
Moving to the 2nd system, Topping E30 DAC / Lake People G100W AMP improved things. Cleaner bass, better mids but still very recessed.
At this point, the best result is the one I am getting from my AK Kann Alpha DAP, which is returning the same clean and deep bass, with mids more present (even if still recessed) and open treble.

I think that maybe these headphones did not burn in yet... so question to this group : have you noticed any change with burn in ?
Thanks
Ale

Jun 7, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,062 of 1,824
HI everyone

I have to say I am a bit shocked, the change in sound from my DT1990 and DT880 is quite significative and I struggle to find the "beyer sound" here.... I find my T1.3 to be very weak in the mids.
I initially plugged them to my Heed Dactilus DAC / Canalot AMP, but the result was awful. Bass was muddy and mids almost non existing. However, this may be an issue with the amp output impedance.
Moving to the 2nd system, Topping E30 DAC / Lake People G100W AMP improved things. Cleaner bass, better mids but still very recessed.
At this point, the best result is the one I am getting from my AK Kann Alpha DAP, which is returning the same clean and deep bass, with mids more present (even if still recessed) and open treble.

I think that maybe these headphones did not burn in yet... so question to this group : have you noticed any change with burn in ?
Thanks
Ale
They are very different sounding than other Beyers in terms of tuning. There is some change with burn in. But I would say the best thing to do is simply listen to them for a bit and adjust to their unique sound signature and see if they work out or not.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #1,063 of 1,824
The biggest change will will be when you have adjusted your own ears to their sound signature. I was on the same journey when I had T1.3 for a couple of weeks for a review. I came from DT1770 Pro and I was chocked when I first listened to T1.3. I actually thought I had a defective unit to begin with. But over a couple of days I really started to appreciate their signature, so much that many other headphones sounded lifeless and boring and thin in comparison.

I can only say, GIVE THEM TIME!!! At least a week or two with much listening. Because they are so different from your DT1990 you will probably need to decide if you want to keep the DT1990 or part with the T1.3 - but give it some time first. I decided that I wanted to stay with DT1770 (+ ER4XR for portable) for now, because the difference between DT1770 and T1.3 is too big when using both from time to time. But I constantly ponder if that was the right choice. T1.3 gave me some listening experiences that I cannot forget about and I have been close to buying them several times since... some day I think I will.

Jun 8, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #1,065 of 1,824
HI everyone

Thanks
Ale
Althought I had comfort issues with the T 1.3, I loved them with some of my metal albums (Metallica - Black album and if I can remember properly: some Stratovarius and Nightwish albums), but other metal genres, like gothic, sounded like garbage with them (a lot better with the DT 1990 Pro). I also loved them with some OST albums and to play PC games, they have pin-point imaging for that. Like other stated: give them more time and try different genres after the initial burning (or mental burning if you prefer :relaxed:).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back