Beyerdynamic MMX 2 Gaming Headset
Sep 17, 2008 at 10:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jmb

100+ Head-Fier
I just put an order in for these babies. They are basically a pair of 235s with an integrated boom microphone and a small usb soundcard/adapter.

The only review I have seen on these is here:
Macworld | Game Room | Review: Beyerdynamic MMX 2

I have been looking for a gaming headset, but I did not want to drop a bunch of coin on the Sennheiser PC350's or the Beyerdynamic MMX300's. So, these puppies seemed perfect.

I will post my comments here once I have a chance to run it through it's paces. I will use it for computer gaming, but for the main use will be gaming on the Xbox 360 through the A40 Mixamp.

Has anyone been using these for gaming? Your thoughts.

Sep 17, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcus' renowned straight forward honest opinion @ headphones.com.au
Technically this headset is NO DIFFERENT from the DT234pro or MMX1 other than the connection options.

He also states that the DT234Pro is just a DT231 with a boom mic so.....

X-fi Prelude + AD700's + (clip-on mic if you need it) for gaming = Jesus Christ good it's not funny.

Sep 18, 2008 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah...it comes from a reputable line of portable headphones. I have high hopes for this headset. I like a good pair of headphones, but I hate spending a crap ton of cash on them. I am hoping these are the quintessential bang-for-buck model. I would love the MMX 300's, but $400 is way too much.

It just nice to see headphone companies making headsets out of their headphones.

I get them tomorrow, so I will see how they work in Gears of War. Will try COD4, TF2, and Bioshock over the weekend if I have time. Will probably try them through the iPod during the week.

Will run them through a Xin mini with the crossfeed on, then the A40 mixamp when I get it next month.

Oct 17, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Review

After running this headset through its paces I am more than satisfied with the sound quality for the $100 price tag.

For a closed headset is has a decent soundstage that helps with positional audio through a straight stereo feed. Using Dolby Headphone opened it up significantly. Pinpointing sound became easy, but it did not do well with vertical positioning. Other players, no matter where they were, always sounded like they are on the same plane.

The USB mini soundcard that comes with it works great. It is not silent, but at a normal listening volume I cannot hear any case/mobo noise through it, despite having a loud and noisy gaming PC. For a chep looking little dongle I was surprised.

The Mic is outstanding. My voice comes through crystal clear. I can talk at a normal volume and the mic picks it up without a problem and you do not have to put it right up to your mouth either. I love the mic.

Music sounds amazing over these headphones. I don't think it is on par with my HD555's, but it is every bit as good as my PX100's. In fact, they do a better job with music than game audio, but they are still competent gaming headphones.

Overall I think they perform very well as budget gaming headset. If you do not want to spend a lot of money on a headset, but are willing to spend a little extra, these are a great bang for buck purchase.

I give them a B-

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 7
I've just got my MMX 2s - I agree completely with jmb. I've had Plantronics DSP 400 (sound OK, but folding was annoying), Plantronics Audio 310 (good for Skype but mono, not for music) and Plantronics Audio 650 (huge disappointment. Muddy sound, crap microphone, complaints from everyone I talked to).

The MMX 2s are good for music - not $500 level, but very good - and they have the clearest microphone of any headset I have used. They are light. Earpieces could be a little larger but I'm happy with this purchase.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 7

Has anyone used the MMX2 with a speech recognition software such as Dragon NaturallySpeaking? The feedback below is encouraging but it comes from a gaming perspective.

Quote:
The Mic is outstanding. My voice comes through crystal clear. I can talk at a normal volume and the mic picks it up without a problem and you do not have to put it right up to your mouth either. I love the mic.

Quote:
The MMX 2s are good for music - not $500 level, but very good - and they have the clearest microphone of any headset I have used.

One concern, I have relatively large ears and wonder whether earpieces could be too uncomfortable for for prolonged use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back