Beyerdynamic DT990 Different ear pads?
Apr 13, 2012 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Adexus

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. just bought a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros and while I do really like the sound I find them quite uncomfortable, mainly because my ear scrapes along the foam inside the ear cup and it can become really irritating and the way they clamp to my head so I'm trying to stretch them out a bit which will hopefully work! But I was just wondering if there are any different ear pads I could buy, ones with a bit more depth to avoid my ears touching the foam? I do like the soft feel of the velour but the foam inside the ear cups is terrible, it really doesn't have a smooth feel to it at all and I've got really small ears so I thought I would be fine but I guess not...

Any help you could give me would be awesome, thanks!

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #2 of 9
There is a thread here where skylab auditions and compares many different Beyer pads including jmoney pads. Try search

Apr 13, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 9
That's weird. My dt990 are the most comfy pair that I've owned...ever! If you bought them used the pads could be "flat" and need to be replaced. The would account for the closeness of the driver to your ears. If you bought new, I don't really know what to say.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 9
Bought them new :frowning2: The Jmoney pads are stupidly expensive so I think I'll just try to fill them out with some cloth underneath but yeah as I said I have small ears so I wasn't expecting this issue to be honest, maybe they're a bit too tight so it's squashing down the pads more? I am stretching them out currently because I wore them for a few hours yesterday and it gave me a cracking headache later on... or maybe I was just listening to them a bit too loud... :p

Apr 14, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:
maybe they're a bit too tight so it's squashing down the pads more?

That is likely, the ear pads are quite soft and are flattened by the high clamping force. The DT770, with its stiffer pads but similarly tight clamp, is less prone to the problem. Stretching or even bending the headband (it is steel) is not a bad idea.

Apr 14, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #9 of 9
I stretched them a lot yesterday and they have relieved a lot of tension but I think they've already been flattened down a bit so I think I'll try putting some cloth underneath on both sides to raise the pads up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back