Beyerdynamic DT990 600ohm driver / customer service issues
Apr 29, 2011 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bencrest

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Absolutely loved my Beyerdynamic DT990 Manufaktur (600ohm) which I ordered a couple of months back. After one month, the right hand driver died, so I emailled Beyerdynamic in Germany (the contact details on the invoice I received) with no reply. I then used the 'contact us' form on the website - again, no reply. Pretty frustrating after paying £300 for a custom pair of headphones I could have bought off the shelf for £200. I assumed the extra £100 would go towards better service. Anyway, after another 5 days with no reply (5 days after the last email), I digged into some details and found that Polar Audio are the UK current service centre for Beyerdynamic.

I completed the online return form for Polar Audio, posted the headphones the following day. After hearing nothing for 2 weeks, I call and am told that 600ohm drivers are on order and should arrive within 2 further weeks. I call 2 weeks later and am told the drivers should arrive within days. To their credit, the headphones then arrived back with me 2 days later.

However - the right hand driver seems completely different to the left hand one now. Whereas I loved the brightness of the DT990 before, the right hand driver is missing a large amount of high frequency noise, and is boosting lower frequencies compared to the left driver.

To put it in simple terms, when listening to rock music, I get perfect sound from the left ear (cymbals, guitar, vocals, drums), but in the right driver it seems to miss the cymbals and emphasise the drums. It's got very good SQ (so I don't doubt the driver is damaged), but it definitely has a completely different presentation to the left hand one.

Now, I did notice on the repair invoice that a 'DT990 PRO 600OHM' driver was fitted. Is there a difference between pro and non-pro drivers? Is there a chance that maybe difference in batches of drivers (whether pro or non-pro) have different sounds (I notice some people have had other brands of headphones, and claimed they had 'bass-heavy' drivers, although normally top-range Sony cans!)? 

Cheers!

Ben

May 1, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #2 of 8
Anyone got any ideas? I've never had a driver replacement on any of my cans before. Is it possible the new driver needs burning in, or is there a difference between Pro / Non-Pro drivers?

I would ask Beyerdynamic but since they've not replied to any of my service emails, and their replies to my sales emails often took at least a week, I'd rather hear from someone else who might already know the answer :)

May 1, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 8
I can call Beyerdynamic Monday, if you want..

May 1, 2011 at 9:09 AM Post #4 of 8
Are you sure you wouldn't mind? That would be very generous of you, thanks!

May 1, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #5 of 8
Beyerdynamic already knows me ))))... So, no problem..

May 1, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 8
You are an absolute star, thanks :)

Just wondering, my DT990 is, what I believe is called, the 2010 edition (pretty sure they 'revised' the models in 2010, much like they did in 2005). I was wondering if I might have a driver from the previous range, but then again Polar Audio claimed the 1 month delay for the repair was because they were waiting for drivers to arrive from Beyerdynamic Germany, so I'd assume I would receive the new batch?

In any case, many thanks for your offer and I look forward to hearing back from them :)

May 1, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #7 of 8
No problem,

I know your issue and tomorrow I will be in the office and I think that Beyerdynamic already waits for me :) at least Ms Deza..

Btw: I will do a good action every day..even though I am atheist..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back