Beyerdynamic dt990 32 ohm vs 250 ohm?
Feb 12, 2011 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

majorplates

New Head-Fier
Hey all, this is my first post :) 

Two days ago i ordered the Beryerdynamic dt 990 32 ohm headphones as my first pair of serious headphones, because i mainly planned to use them with my Ipod. I have done alot of research before deciding on those, i even read a few threads on here so i was certain i was buying the correct version for its intended use. HOWEVER today i received them and when i plugged them into my Ipod (4th gen) i was thoroughly disappointed! while the sound was OK (though i did hear things i havnt before), the volume was WAY low! I thought i was getting the right "ohm version" but i guess i was wrong. apparently i need an amp, which i was trying to avoid. But i see now i will need one regardless. So im just going return the 32 ohm version and get the 250, after all why not get better sound quality? But what is the  best portable and reasonably priced amp? i was looking into getting either the Little Dot MK 1 or MK 1+......are those good amps to get? do they get loud? i like my music loud but of course all the sound gets distorted with lower end headphones which shouldnt be the case with these so anything that will drive the headphones to be LOUD is a big plus :)

i am all ears and eager to learn. im still excited to hear what these cans can really do. i know they should be really amazing but i just need some guidance :)

thanks

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:00 PM Post #2 of 24
There are still a lot of myths around about impedance and amp requirements.

Impedance does make a difference in how the amp interacts with the headphones, but it doesn't make nearly the same level of impact as sensitivity.  The sensitivity is roughly the same for all versions of the DT990.

With the low impedance version, most portable amps should be able to deliver enough power to sound half decent, but portable amps won't likely deliver what those headphones are really capable of.  Sorry, I know that's probably not what you want to hear.

Feb 12, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 24
If you are going to return it, in my opinion it would make more sense to get the 600Ohms version instead, and i am willing to bet the majority will agree with me.

ps: Also first post here! :)

Feb 12, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 24
No.  The 32 ohm and 600 ohm need exactly the same amount of power, but many amps aren't able to feed as much power into a 600 ohm load than a 32 ohm load.  It all depends on your source.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:13 AM Post #7 of 24
well guys the thing is im a noob at this(clearly) and i dont have a clue about sound cards, amps and sources, till today i thought the last two were the same thing...? Id really like to have some kind of portable set up. i like to move around when i listen to music and i find sitting a desk to be somewhat confining. so i was asking about the 32's and 250's because they should work with a portable amp and i know that there is no way something like that could drive the 600 version. i also dont have a lot of money to spend. i was thinking about $150-$180 should be able to buy a decent portable amp. 

there has to be some kind of amp that will work for what i want. i plan on getting all the proper equipment to run a respectable system in the future but for right now, money is tight and just need more than what iv had so far. any suggestions as far as amps go?

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 24
You shouldn't need to spend that much for a portable amp anyways.

How about waiting until next month? Fiio is releasing the E11 which won't cost more than 60 or so, and is mentioned to handle 300ohm loads. I'm thinking of getting a 990/32ohm for when I'm at work and the E11. I had the 600ohm.

The sound differences between the different ohm versions are minor. I want the 32ohm because the blue yoke looks more appealing to me.

Feb 13, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #10 of 24
wow, that is a nice looking amp! i think you may have sold me on it :) when is the release date? also are you sure it will be about $60? whats the difference between that and the Little Dots?

you are right, i dont plan on sing them in public but i love to get up and dance around when i listen to my music-- helps me think. so being at a desk kinda eliminates that. one day i will have both but for now i would like a portable setup.

Feb 15, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 24
The E11 is coming out next month!

I cannot wait myself.  BTW, I think you may LOVE the DT-990s when you get some juice through their blood vessels.

beyersmile.png

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #12 of 24
I hate to ask a question on another persons thread like this but my predicament is almost the same, i own the ibasso d10 amp and i owned the DT990 600 ohm cans, they sounded amazing on my home receiver but sadly on my ibasso it couldnt crank out the juice to make them sound good.  i am selling them and i plan to get either the 32 ohm or the 250 ohm versions, my d10 can handle up to 300 ohms.  WHICH SHOULD I GET?

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #15 of 24
I've never come across anyone who thought the 250s sounded better than the 600s (properly amped), but they sound fine with a decent portable like the ibasso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back