Beyerdynamic DT880 = Wow!
Aug 2, 2008 at 7:00 PM Post #181 of 237
I agree. First step for me though: Millett MAX. Whether it be a MAXed or miniMAX, I know not, but it will be one of them.

Aug 2, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #182 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My thoughts exactly ... before I acquired one. I was not thrilled with 250Ohm version in my system, with GS-1 and GLite they were the least bassy phones in my collection, highs were a bit on too bright side and mids were dry and slightly recessed. Boring and too analytical. W5000 providing even better details were managing to deliver a better bass and add that missing juice and meat around notes, making them much more pleasant and musical.
I was very skeptical myself that 600 Ohm could change that much, but too my surprise the difference turned out to be much bigger than what I've read here.
Number one - totally awesome bass, quantity and quality wise. Step up from W5000.
Number two - response is smooth and even throughout the whole band, no dips in the mids or spikes in highs.
Number three - highs lost their shrill and overall signature became warmer, gaining that musicality I missed with 250 Ohm version.
At this point they sound more balanced than W5000, although W5000 still holds "the most detailed" title but the gap between two is rather small.
GLite is more than capable to drive those never going past 12 o'clock volume position. Same goes for GS-1, mine is unity gain and most of the times low gain is enough for them. Pico in high gain with almost maxed out volume is struggling to drive them properly.
600Ohm version is like hidden Beyer's secret weapon, other manufactures must thank Beyer that it didn't make them more widely available.
dt880smile.png

darn... you just sealed my wallet's fate
frown.gif
so 600ohm version my 880s will be!
biggrin.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #183 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by storm028 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
darn... you just sealed my wallet's fate
frown.gif
so 600ohm version my 880s will be!
biggrin.gif

Sorry guys, didn't mean to sound too ecstatic about them but in all seriousnesses they definitely deserved better attention here. To my ears they sound like ideally balanced headphones that have everything in the right proportion, details, bass, mids, extended and smooth high, just like a pretty child of HD650 and W5000 that inherited the best out of both parents.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:10 AM Post #184 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry guys, didn't mean to sound too ecstatic about them but in all seriousnesses they definitely deserved better attention here. To my ears they sound like ideally balanced headphones that have everything in the right proportion, details, bass, mids, extended and smooth high, just like a pretty child of HD650 and W5000 that inherited the best out of both parents.

Are they still dark in the midrange as the 250 ohm? (compared to ATs/Grados/Alessandros/Sennheisers/AKGs)

Aug 3, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #185 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by Henmyr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they still dark in the midrange as the 250 ohm? (compared to ATs/Grados/Alessandros/Sennheisers/AKGs)

Nope, as I can tell. I read your post in AD2000 thread and right away started A/B-ing too. As much as I like AD2000, they really sound flat after DT880, but DT880 never sound dark in the midrange after AT. Midrange almost as forward and bright as on AD2000 with the hint of warmth. On 250Ohm version, as I remember, mids were always subdued and rather distant, if that's what you mean by "dark".

May 30, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #186 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, and I believe that's part of the appeal (was for me). They're very neutral and detailed but at the same time smooooth with totally non-fatiguing highs.

What would you liken the highlight rendition to if comparing the treble and midtone and bass rendition to if comparing with a black and white photograph's rendition? Sorry if this is a confusing request, Its just that I kinda "imagine" music as a luminance map with bass as the blacks, treble as the highlights, and mids the grey tones comprising a high-, neutral-, or low-key "image". OH, and don't forget to mention which OHM version you're referring to, if amped/unamped, blahblah...

Grados, for instance the SR60, which I own, sound soft and neutral-key to me, with lots of grey, like a #2 filter grade on variable contrast black and white photo paper. Dull and disappointing. No punch. Too soft, feathery. No sparkle. But then I had for my first high-fi IEM the etymotic ER*4-S...

My top IEM is the Victor HP-FX500 which is really smooth, rounded, and range-ey... full of bass as well, and well layered.

Below them, are the next tier of equal-level IEM to my Ear. For treble-oriented sound rendition: the Phonak Audeo PFE w/ grey filters & Shure Olive foam tips/sleeves. For mid-oriented sound rendition: the Sleek Audio SA-6 with the ++ treble tips, and a modified (cut open) bass + port. For bass-oriented sound rendition: the JVC HA-FX300R (modified with Speaker Diaphragm Fabric to replace the filter material). Those are all on the same quality and rendition "plane" to my Ear, however just "Different" in rendition. Amped and UnAmped.

I would put the Grado SR60 at the Bottom of MY barrel of "fish" (meaning headphones in my collection) The v-moda bass freq is a more effective at the style I think of when I hear people describe the "Grado Sound". Sorry if that bothers some folks, it IS my perception, and I am a recovering Speaker Whore. (I have listened to loudspeakers too close at concerts in the past) but I have exceptional hearing despite this.

With this in mind, I'm mostly curious about how you (and any of the other articulate readers) would describe the Beyerdynamic DT880 treble highs and mids in extensive, articulate detail...

I've had it suggested to look into the DT880 for myself as my first SERIOUS big can. I'm considering getting the Manufaktur custom build sent to Moon Audio for the Detachable Cable Mod recabling, and a set of the 'Dragons. I'm extremely "moody" with regard to my preference for rendition.

I find myself switching between my 3 portable headphone amps: the iBasso T4, the FiiO E5, and the *giggle* Boostaroo Revolution 4-channel (which isn't as terrible as I'd have expected) for different "sounds" and between the 2 interconnects I own, an iBasso CB01 Flat Silver Interconnect, and a Moon Audio Black Dragon Interconnect, and even running a pair or trio of amps in daisy chain to colour the sound of my IEMs.

I'm still developing my palette and Ear. However I know I've found what I'm looking for with IEMs, and sometimes am looking for a more relaxed type of listening (i.e. non-insertive, regular 'Can type of headphone listening) and I am also interested in hearing what 5 Hz to 35 kHz sounds like... especially the 5 Hz "floor" with a lot of layering and lots of presence in the mids with seperation galore, and well modeled "bass-ey" treble; if there is such a thing.

Here's the Permalink to the "Which Beyerdynamic 'Phone is right for ME thread"

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/im-...4/#post5720403

HAVE FUN! and thanks for reading / replying!!

May 30, 2009 at 7:01 AM Post #188 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by tdogzthmn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DT880 were good but I just felt the music was playing in a sterile white box. When I compared them to my HD580 I felt like I was surround in a dark void of music.

Me too.. Which makes no sense. I love my DT48 and they are even less musical? To end the argument, the DT48 is still considered Beyers flagship headphone. This probably means the consumer line as well.

May 30, 2009 at 7:17 AM Post #189 of 237
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me too.. Which makes no sense. I love my DT48 and they are even less musical? To end the argument, the DT48 is still considered Beyers flagship headphone. This probably means the consumer line as well.

How would you compare the DT48 against the DT880 for sound sig. I have been hesitant to try the DT48 because I felt it would be more clinical than the DT880. I also found my DT770 was too bright and shrill for my taste.

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 30, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #190 of 237
I thought Beyerdynamics were the Bassiest Full Sized Cans? Did I read something wrong? Are the different models just radically different, even though they tout the same 5 Hz - 35 kHz frequency response range??

May 30, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #193 of 237
love them for gaming, and like them for music.

May 30, 2009 at 12:54 PM Post #194 of 237
Got my 2nd hand Opera a few weeks earlier and been enjoying my setup ever since.
Just a huge satisfaction with what i'm hearing.
As a detail-freak i'm amazed at how detailed these cans can be (DT880).
Never heard more detail and resolution from any can (except K1000) as what I hear now.

May 30, 2009 at 2:11 PM Post #195 of 237
Hi everybody. just joined this thread. i am interesting in the beyers for some time. are they reminding the grados a little in their sound sig? i want to get myself a new sound that's good for rock/metal but that
different from the grado sound.

I also afraid the some of my low quality metal albums will sound auful on them...is this something to concern?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back