beyerdynamic dt880 vs denon d2000
Apr 28, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 22
My MS2i beats my DT880 for unamped rock listening. My guesss is that even SR225, MS1 and SR80 beat the DT880 for unamped rock listening.

Apr 28, 2008 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by alitomr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everybody's crazy about the denons!!
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/aga...-300-a-320103/

That was (excuse me) a rather dumb poll, where the OP insisted that nobody could possibly think a Grado was best, and hence omitted it from the poll. That's not a poll, that's ... well, not how we do polls in democratic countries, at least.

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #5 of 22
Perhaps the OP just wanted to have a poll of those two cans only, as they are maybe the only ones the OP is interested in right now.
Every poll should be taken at face value for what it is -- all are not meant to be generalized and/or all-inclusive.

Also -- the 880's are hard to drive without an amp, unless you have a powerful source.

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:44 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps the OP just wanted to have a poll of those two cans only, as they are maybe the only ones the OP is interested in right now.
Every poll should be taken at face value for what it is -- all are not meant to be generalized and/or all-inclusive.

Also -- the 880's are hard to drive without an amp, unless you have a powerful source.

It might be that way. In that case, I unvote for DT880, but since I've not heard D2000, I can't put my vote for it either.

EDIT: The reason that I would not vote for DT880 is like others have stated in this thread, they are defenitely not rockers while unamped. They will be almost bassless with a bright treble.

Apr 28, 2008 at 10:57 AM Post #7 of 22
The D2000 is much easier to drive than the 880, and is more suitable for un-amped (or weak) source, if that is the case here.

Apr 28, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #9 of 22
Isn't the D2000 25 Ohm vs. the 880 being at 250 or 600 ohm? The D2000 "unamped" would certainly win.

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:29 PM Post #11 of 22
the dt880 does get mad with bass with a powerful amp but overall, it sounds wonderful even from an ipod or meizu m6 or cowon d2. it even sounds good from gen 2 shuffle!

amp does not automatically make the thing sound better. you had better be prepared for placeobo for many amps or be into really paying good money for the amp to get a big improvement or at least noticeable.

none of my portables or any portable i ever heard made the dt880 sound any different from the amp in a portable already but my heed canamp made the dt880 spring to bass life. however, i still preferred not being completely tethered to my home unit all the time.

d2000 conversely are a little more uncontrolled without an amp that can properly separate the stereo signal well. it does get loud if that is your benchmark but it does not get separation as well as it needs from portables whereas the dt880 does.

bass performance, unamped, amped the dt880 will be smacked around with a fish. however, it does what it does phenomenally. i prefer it to the d2000 in every area but, that is only my opinion.

easier to drive is up to what you consider the phone sounding good to be. for me, the d2000 needs an amp more than the dt880 to sound properly listenable.

Apr 28, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 22
I have not heard the DT880, but being a math major and studying elctrical current in college, I would have to imagine that it would be far easier to drive the Denon's then the Beyer's. The Denon's get my vote for unamped:

Denon D2000

Apr 29, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #13 of 22
I have both, and also had the MS-2's. I the d2000s are better for rock unamped, the DT880s are just lifeless unamped, but when both are amped properly it really depends on your taste. IMO the overpowering bass on the d2000's become fatiguing after a while. However with the DT880s I can listen for ages and ages. But IMO the MS-2 Trumps both for rock.

just my 2c.

Apr 29, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 22
You'd probably be better off getting neither if you aren't going to amp them.

It's kinda like hooking up a horse to a Ferrari, sure it works but you're holding back the performance by not firing up the engine (getting an amp) and unleashing its full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back