BeyerDynamic DT770 vs. BeyerDynamic DT880 vs. Denon D2000 - Can't Decide Please Help!!
Jul 3, 2012 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

rushy

New Head-Fier
Hello again
I'm sorry for starting a new thread but after reading the comments on my last thread my opinions changed big time
so as I said before I'm about to buy a new pair of cans, my first pair of full sized headsets actually,so these are the cans that I found fitting my needs : BeyerDynamic DT770 , BeyerDynamic DT880 , Denon D2000

it's really getting hard for me to decide from them because honestly each one is perfect in their own way in my opinion,so hopefully you guys can help me decide.The most important factors that I'm looking for in a pair of cans are listed bellow (from the most important factor to the least important).hopefully you guys can help me decide based on these factors.

The Factors ( From Most Important to Least Important)

1.Comfort/size: I Listen to music alot probably more than 5 hours a day,so having a comfortable headphone is a must

2.Isolation: I want to be listening to music in the middle of the library...yes i listen to music when i study...i'm kind of used to it so i need cans that don't leak out any sound

3.Bass: I listen to alot of R&B,pop,hip hop and Rap so good bass is kind of an important factor to me.I like my bass to give me that concert feel, a solid bass response...i don't want the bass to be lacking; or too strong to make my ears hurt after listening to music for a long time ....i want to feel it in my head ..i don't want a bass that annoys me...this is one of the things that makes me kind of afraid of purchasing a dt770,because everyone says it's over-emphasized on bass ... i mean i love bass but since these are my first pair of cans,is the bass going to be annoying my ears?

4.Soundstage: I like the sound to be real and i like instrument separation. The most genres of music that i listen to are R&B,Pop,Hip Hop,Classic,Rap,some Rock...So what are some of your opinions on what i should get based on these things?

P.S.1: what is the main difference between dt770/880 250ohm and 660ohm?! I don't understand what difference the ohms make in the sound :s...suppose we have 2 headsets exactly alike buy one of them is 100ohm and the other one 250ohm...what is the difference?!

P.S.2: The DT770 and DT880 are available in both 250ohm and 660ohm...which one is better?
Sorry for my bad English and my nooby questions

Many Thanks in Advance

Jul 3, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 28
Quote:
Hello again
I'm sorry for starting a new thread but after reading the comments on my last thread my opinions changed big time
so as I said before I'm about to buy a new pair of cans, my first pair of full sized headsets actually,so these are the cans that I found fitting my needs : BeyerDynamic DT770 , BeyerDynamic DT880 , Denon D2000

it's really getting hard for me to decide from them because honestly each one is perfect in their own way in my opinion,so hopefully you guys can help me decide.The most important factors that I'm looking for in a pair of cans are listed bellow (from the most important factor to the least important).hopefully you guys can help me decide based on these factors.

1.Comfort/size: I Listen to music alot probably more than 5 hours a day,so having a comfortable headphone is a must

2.Isolation: I want to be listening to music in the middle of the library...yes i listen to music when i study...i'm kind of used to it so i need cans that don't leak out any sound

3.Bass: I listen to alot of R&B,pop,hip hop and Rap so good bass is kind of an important factor to me.I like my bass to give me that concert feel, a solid bass response...i don't want the bass to be lacking; or too strong to make my ears hurt after listening to music for a long time ....i want to feel it in my head ..i don't want a bass that annoys me...this is one of the things that makes me kind of afraid of purchasing a dt770,because everyone says it's over-emphasized on bass ... i mean i love bass but since these are my first pair of cans,is the bass going to be annoying my ears?

4.Soundstage: I like the sound to be real and i like instrument separation. The most genres of music that i listen to are R&B,Pop,Hip Hop,Classic,Rap,some Rock...So what are some of your opinions on what i should get based on these things?

P.S.1: what is the main difference between dt770/880 250ohm and 660ohm?! I don't understand what difference the ohms make in the sound :s...suppose we have 2 headsets exactly alike buy one of them is 100ohm and the other one 250ohm...what is the difference?!

P.S.2: The DT770 and DT880 are available in both 250ohm and 660ohm...which one is better?

Many Thanks in Advance

Read this thread it will help :

http://www.head-fi.org/t/513393/guide-sonic-differences-between-dt770-dt990-models-more

DT-880 in my opinion will not really suit your tastes , but who knows ... , it's semi open it leak a lot and don't isolate very well , so not suitable in a library . 

D2000 would be better choice for your tastes but , it leaks a lot too despite being closed , and furthemore it's being discontinued .

DT-770 , 32-250-600 ohms "edition" are discontinued too only remain the Pro version in 80 and 250 ohms , and a limited edition this year in 32 ohms .

For impedance everything is explained on the thread listed above . Peraphs DT-770 80 ohms could suit you .

Also ask peraphs for another headphones like AT ATH M50 , or Shure SRH840 etc

Jul 3, 2012 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:
Hello again

1.Comfort/size: I Listen to music a lot probably more than 5 hours a day,so having a comfortable headphone is a must

4.Sound stage: I like the sound to be real and i like instrument separation. The most genres of music that i listen to are R&B,Pop,Hip Hop,Classic,Rap,some Rock...So what are some of your opinions on what i should get based on these things?

Might help to know what source(s) your plugging your headphones into?
Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 usually need a headphone amplifier to sound their best.
Where as the Denon AH-D2000 are only 25-Ohm and easy to drive off a portable audio player

Jul 4, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:
Might help to know what source(s) your plugging your headphones into?
Beyerdynamic DT770/880/990 usually need a headphone amplifier to sound their best.
Where as the Denon AH-D2000 are only 25-Ohm and easy to drive off a portable audio player

I usually listen to music with either PC or iPhone... I probably won't buy any amplifiers because of my budget
I've read in some topics that BeyerDynamic DT880 NEEDS an amplifier but DT770 will only sound a bit better with an amplifier
My biggest problem with Denon D2000 is its' sound leaking according to some topics but then again I've never actually tried one on.

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:48 AM Post #5 of 28
Quote:
I usually listen to music with either PC or iPhone... I probably won't buy any amplifiers because of my budget
I've read in some topics that BeyerDynamic DT880 NEEDS an amplifier but DT770 will only sound a bit better with an amplifier
My biggest problem with Denon D2000 is its' sound leaking according to some topics but then again I've never actually tried one on.

I would assume a DT880 250-Ohm and a DT770 250-Ohm would both need a decent headphone amplifier and improve roughly the same.
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm might need a little less juice to work well (best choice for unamped?).
DT770/DT880/DT990 in the 600-Ohm version would need a very decent amp. to sound good.
The 32-ohm versions are low Ohm, but still work better with an amplifier.

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:54 AM Post #6 of 28
I went to through the same questions/delima and same list of headphones...

- Did you try them all? I tried the Denon 2000 first, liked them a lot, and thought maybe a little too bulky.
- Then I tried the Beyer 770PRO 250 ohms a few weeks later... and I was in love immediately - I didn't have that hesistant/not sure feeling when I was trying the Denons on
- So so so comfortable... the 770PRO is close and isolates so well.
- One small (but not so important issue) is that it has a coiled cable, and that tends to stand in the way a little when I am at work at my desk.

But, I am still in love with them... I use my smartphone to drive them... not too bad, but could be better I am sure... so now I am in hte market for a portable amp. I spent around 2 months researching headphones and I knew nothing at the begining. I have no regrets at all with the 770PRO.

Good luck!
S

Jul 4, 2012 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:
I would assume a DT880 250-Ohm and a DT770 250-Ohm would both need a decent headphone amplifier and improve roughly the same.
The DT770 Pro 80-Ohm might need a little less juice to work well (best choice for unamped?).
DT770/DT880/DT990 in the 600-Ohm version would need a very decent amp. to sound good.
The 32-ohm versions are low Ohm, but still work better with an amplifier.

I dont want the bass to be annoying or making my ears hurt after a while of listening to music...is DT770s bass like that? thats the most that keeps me from choosing the Dt770
also what amplifier do you suggest to get the mostout of it? if i go for dt770 i'm probably gonna get the 250ohm version...i need a cheap/middle-priced amplifier

Jul 4, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #8 of 28
Quote:
I went to through the same questions/delima and same list of headphones...

- Did you try them all? I tried the Denon 2000 first, liked them a lot, and thought maybe a little too bulky.
- Then I tried the Beyer 770PRO 250 ohms a few weeks later... and I was in love immediately - I didn't have that hesistant/not sure feeling when I was trying the Denons on
- So so so comfortable... the 770PRO is close and isolates so well.
- One small (but not so important issue) is that it has a coiled cable, and that tends to stand in the way a little when I am at work at my desk.

But, I am still in love with them... I use my smartphone to drive them... not too bad, but could be better I am sure... so now I am in hte market for a portable amp. I spent around 2 months researching headphones and I knew nothing at the begining. I have no regrets at all with the 770PRO.

Good luck!
S

is the bass on dt770 annoying? i want the bass to be strong but not annoying all the time
also what amplifier do you use with the dt770?!
and one more thing,do they annoy the ear for long time use since they are closed cans?! i mean comfort is my #1 priority
Thanks 

Jul 4, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:
I don't want the bass to be annoying or making my ears hurt after a while of listening to music...is DT770s bass like that? that's the most that keeps me from choosing the Dt770
also what amplifier do you suggest to get the most out of it? if i go for dt770 I'm probably gonna get the 250ohm version...i need a cheap/middle-priced amplifier

Got my DT770 Pro 250-Ohm on right now. I'm not seeing a problem with the bass, currently using my Fiio E11 amp. ($65).
Should get a nice full bass and any portable amp. will come with a volume control.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 28
the phones you mention are not portables and may not hold up well being tossed in a bag and carried around. there may a number of sturdier phones that are a better choice for your purposes, some of which were previously popular but get less attention these days, eg:  sennheiser hd25,  akg k181dj, equation audio rp21
and of course stuff that's been popular in more recent times such as: at m50, shure srh 840 and (some will find this shocking) srh 940.
there's also the oft overlooked pioneer se-a1000.

Jan 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM Post #11 of 28
I dont see the Shure srh940 being a suitable choice as far as bassy music goes.
D2000's are getting extremely expensive now and dont isolate all that well.
Beyerdynamic dt770's are designed for studio usage, and are probably the toughest set here, i would, and i have. gone for these.

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 28
Sorry to resurrect this semi-old thread but I have similar musical tastes as OP and I'm wondering about the dt770s vs the d2000s. I just bought ath-m50s but I'm afraid they are not much better or different than my shure srh750djs. If I could find the d2000s at a decent price I would probably just get them based on everything I've read but I haven't been able to. Are the dt770s a step up from the m50s? Should I try harder to find the d2000s?

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 28
Sorry to resurrect this semi-old thread but I have similar musical tastes as OP and I'm wondering about the dt770s vs the d2000s. I just bought ath-m50s but I'm afraid they are not much better or different than my share srh750djs. If I could find the d2000s at a decent price I would probably just get them based on everything I've read but I haven't been able to. Are the dt770s a step up from the m50s? Should I try harder to find the d2000s?

Jan 27, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:
Sorry to resurrect this semi-old thread but I have similar musical tastes as OP and I'm wondering about the dt770s vs the d2000s. I just bought ath-m50s but I'm afraid they are not much better or different than my shure srh750djs. If I could find the d2000s at a decent price I would probably just get them based on everything I've read but I haven't been able to. Are the dt770s a step up from the m50s? Should I try harder to find the d2000s?

You aren't going to find D2ks for under $300 anymore. The DT770s are very nice but I would lean towards the ATH-A900X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back