Beyerdynamic DT770 pro/80 or 250 vs. Denon D2000
Dec 18, 2010 at 11:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rainBRO

Head-Fier
I started a Google search with trying to figure out if I should get the Beyer 770 pro 80 ohm or 250 ohm until I bumped into several  forums with a lot of people comparing the Beyers and Denons. Surprisingly to me, most like the Denons over the Beyers, primarily for its larger sound stage, very wide dynamic range (5hz-45khz) & sibilant highs. Basically they claim it beats the DT770s in every way except noise isolation. Many also say the beyers middle and upper mids are too recessed? Someone also put the Denons fit into classical/jazz and Beyers with pop/rock and that the Denons had unnatural separation from the bass and mids and that its bass was kind of slow and untight sounding and with alot of reviews saying after 100 hour break in the bass can be normalized? Any input would be appreciated. (Why you think which one is better and what music is type of music is better which set?)

I'm finally making my choice before tomorrow so I can enjoy them over break. I would be getting the FiiO E7&9 combo (I've been told it should run it fine) to power them. From what I hear it is the best in the $200 price range.

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainBRO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Surprisingly to me, most like the Denons over the Beyers, primarily for its larger sound stage, very wide dynamic range (5hz-45khz) & sibilant highs. Basically they claim it beats the DT770s in every way except noise isolation. Many also say the beyers middle and upper mids are too recessed? Someone also put the Denons fit into classical/jazz and Beyers with pop/rock and that the Denons had unnatural separation from the bass and mids and that its bass was kind of slow and untight sounding and with alot of reviews saying after 100 hour break in the bass can be normalized? Any input would be appreciated. (Why you think which one is better and what music is type of music is better which set?)

I also share many of those opinions. I preferred the Denons much more than the DT770/80, which I feel is one of the worst cans I've heard so far. The bass on them was terribly overpowered and muddy and the mids were extremely recessed (a good deal more than the Denons). In all fairness they did make a decent gaming and movie can but I felt the Denons did better on both counts.

To try to quantify it, for bass quantity the DT770s would get a 9/10 (with 5 being roughly neutral) and the D2000s would get a 7/10 while for quantity the DT770s get a 5/10 or less (10 being the best) and the D2000s receive a 7/10). YMMV.

I would say get the DT770s if you want moar bass for rap, hip-hop, pop, etc. Although I personally liked the Denons more than the Beyers for almost every genre including those listed above. The D2000s have a laid back sound which worked very well for jazz but still managed to sound good with rock and electronic. The Denons are a bit slow and did have somewhat bloated bass but that was alleviated considerably when properly amped. When amped the bass wasn't what I'd call tight but I would exactly call it boomy or bloated either. They can also be damped (partial or fully MarkL modded) to help decrease the bass bloat and help the mids a little. Of course these are just my opinions and yours may very well be different.

Oh and a dynamic range or frequency that extreme doesn't mean anything unless you're a dog or elephant. 
wink.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:10 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks, that helps. And I don't think I would ever mod my headphones. Would you say the FiiO E7 alone could power the Denon's for when I use them through my iPod on the go? Should I even get the E9 or is that more than necessary?

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
Thanks, that helps. And I don't think I would ever mod my headphones. Would you say the FiiO E7 alone could power the Denon's for when I use them through my iPod on the go? Should I even get the E9 or is that more than necessary?

I wouldn't advise using them as portables as they leak some sound and don't isolate very well not to mention they are kind of big and cumbersome. Sorry, I wish I was more familiar with the E7 or E9 but I haven't read the first thing on it (much less heard it) so I can't be of much help there. Perhaps someone who has heard the combo can be answer that question.

Dec 21, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 11
for me, run through a desktop amp, DT770/80 beat D2000 indeed.

I hate midbass at D2000, it disturb the mid, while bass at 770/80 is monster and not the "tight" type, but the bass is deep and not disturbing mid.

Also I found that treble at 770/80 is smooth yet detailed.

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #10 of 11
This issue is driving me crazy also.

DT770 Pro 80: Spent a lot of time with a friend's pair. HATE them.
DT770 250ohm: Like 'em a lot! More balanced, less harsh, less bloated. I would NEVER take the 80 over this.
DT770 600ohm: Never heard them but would like to and would be good w/ Crack amp I am building.
D2000: Never heard them but love the look and some people love them. I would only have a CMOY-TREAD to power them, as the Crack is made for high impedance.

So for me the issue is DT770 600ohm vs D2000. But if you get the Beyers, I can't stress enough how much the 250ohm sounds better than the Pro 80 to me. I thought the 80s were OK til I heard the 250 - I could never go back. Just opinion, but any of my friends who have compared them feel the same way.

Dec 4, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 11
This issue is driving me crazy also.

DT770 Pro 80: Spent a lot of time with a friend's pair. HATE them.
DT770 250ohm: Like 'em a lot! More balanced, less harsh, less bloated. I would NEVER take the 80 over this.
DT770 600ohm: Never heard them but would like to and would be good w/ Crack amp I am building.
D2000: Never heard them but love the look and some people love them. I would only have a CMOY-TREAD to power them, as the Crack is made for high impedance.

So for me the issue is DT770 600ohm vs D2000. But if you get the Beyers, I can't stress enough how much the 250ohm sounds better than the Pro 80 to me. I thought the 80s were OK til I heard the 250 - I could never go back. Just opinion, but any of my friends who have compared them feel the same way.
You serious brah, dt 770/250 less harsh ? Do your research first

Users who are viewing this thread

Back