Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #212 of 464
Yeah. These phones are awesome
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #213 of 464
Picked up used pair at a pawn shop in great condition for $70 last week. Really loving these things, best closed cans I've owned to date.

Great Deal. Welcome to the club!

Dec 26, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #214 of 464
Just ordered mine! Using them for music and movies at night after my wife goes to bed. Can't wait.

I've been using Sennheiser 490's for about 12 years now, and the foam finally turned to dust and they are killing my ears. Plus, the sound isn't very good.

Thanks for all the info in the forum.

Dec 26, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #215 of 464
Welcome! You are going to be pleasantly surprised!

Dec 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #216 of 464
I'm glad I'm not the only one who likes these cans. I got them a few months ago and I was shocked at how good they were, and how much better they are than the  80 ohm version. I've  written about it in the Zombies thread where he compares all the Beyers. 

I have T1's, and out of my current setup, which is Musical Fidelity M1DAC --> Schiit Asgard 2 or Musical Fidelity M1HPAP  -->  T1 / DT770's,  they're very close to each other. I would have never believed this is if someone else told me, but they actually sound 90% identical. I mean...like, in terms of detail, resolution, soundstage, balance, everything. The only differences are  that the mid-bass on DT770's is bit tighter and punchier, but has less presence (T1's mid-bass seems softer but stronger), DT770's have a tiny bit more  sub-bass, DT770's mids aren't quite as lush and smooth, and the imaging on the T1's is every so slightly more defined. DT770's sound pretty much as opened and spacious, and grand in scale, as the T1's do, and they're as detailed (I can't hear anything on T1's that I can't also hear on DT770's, in fact, sometimes I feel DT770's throw details at me more clearly). The biggest difference is that T1's sound smoother overall, in order to notice that, I have to listen for a longer period of time. Whereas T1's never ever make me feel tired or fatigued, DT770's sound does that a little bit after 2-2,5 hours  of listening, which means that they're ultimately not as smooth. But otherwise, I would be perfectly happy to keep the DT770's as the only headphone until  the rest of my life. It's truly amazing that I can listen to T1's for hours, and then take them off, put the DT770's on, and feel like I have headphones on my head that are not inferior, just very slightly different in the way they present sound. Having owned every Beyer in 770, 880 and 990 line ups, I'd say DT770 Pro 250's are overall probably the 2nd best headphone a Beyerdynamic fan needs to own at the moment (after T1's), and the 1st in terms of value for money. They just do everything right, build quality is amazing, sound isolation is amazing, they're very comfortable (especially if you stretch out the headband), they're not too hard to drive, and they sound amazing with all types of music. In fact, with most music, A-B comparing both headphones, I prefer the DT770's over T1's, because they sound more fun, vivid and engaging. T1's are more precise in audiophile terms, but DT770's are more fun. The only music I prefer the T1's with is some jazz, some classical and some vocal and instrumental tracks, but with rock, metal, pop, hip hop, electronic, dance, some jazz, instrumental and classical, I prefer the DT770's.

T1's can probably scale higher if you go for really high end amplifiers and sources, so ultimately, they'd get the lead over the DT770's, but if you don't plan to invest more than $1000 on an amplifier and about the same on a DAC, they're neck a neck most of the time.

Dec 27, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #217 of 464
Yeah. I liked the T1's a lot too. But it is a toss up between the T1's and the DT-770's. Like you say they are damn close in sonic signature. That's what makes these an amazing value imho.

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #218 of 464
  Yeah. I liked the T1's a lot too. But it is a toss up between the T1's and the DT-770's. Like you say they are damn close in sonic signature. That's what makes these an amazing value imho.

I will +1 this as well. Although I can not speak of the T 1 having never listened to them, I will say I too find this with my T 70 and DT 770 Pro. Sure, one can chalk this up to the beyerdynamic 'house sound', but I tend to think it is because of just how damn good the DT line of drivers are, and how they have been refined over the years. What the T 70 lacks in sub bass it makes up for it in treble, and what the DT 770 Pro lacks in treble, it makes up for in sub-bass. Messing around with the EQ I can make the two headphones sound virtually identical with the T 70 showing more 'refinement'. Makes senses since the Tesla line replaced the Dynamic Transducer line.

T1's can probably scale higher if you go for really high end amplifiers and sources, so ultimately, they'd get the lead over the DT770's, but if you don't plan to invest more than $1000 on an amplifier and about the same on a DAC, they're neck a neck most of the time.

Surprisingly moving on up the line of DACs and amplifiers the DT 770 Pro scales quite nicely, better than I expected. What the Tesla line has over the DT series is power handling. DT 100mW vs T 200mW.

beerchug.gif

Dec 27, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #219 of 464
What I like about these is that they are easy to drive compared to the T1's. I can go straight out of my laptop with these no problem.

If I had the money I would have the T1's for the house with a tube amp. And have the DT-770's for everything else.....

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #220 of 464
If I had the money I would have the T1's for the house with a tube amp. And have the DT-770's for everything else.....

Thats pretty much what I do now, use the Dt770s for everything, and T1s only on special occasions. I was acually thinking about selling T1s, but those last few percentages of performance make them special enough to keep them.

Dec 27, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #221 of 464
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

As some one who also has both T1's and DT770 I have felt like screaming whilst reading the last few posts!

The only answer can be that either source or amplification or both are acting as bottlenecks restricting their performance.

I will agree the DT770 offer performance way above what their price would suggest and I enjoy listening with them as well but for me the T1's totally out class them.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:33 AM Post #222 of 464
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

As some one who also has both T1's and DT770 I have felt like screaming whilst reading the last few posts!

The only answer can be that either source or amplification or both are acting as bottlenecks restricting their performance.

I will agree the DT770 offer performance way above what their price would suggest and I enjoy listening with them as well but for me the T1's totally out class them.

I dont think Musical Fidelity M1 stack is a bottleneck.

Do you have the newest version of the 770s? My old 80 version sounds nowhere near as good.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying DT770's are as good, they're just very very close. But that small difference is what gives the T1's their magic. DT770's sound like really good headphones, but T1's sound like high end headphones. With a lot of music I prefer the DT770's, simply because they sound more exciting, but there's no doubt that T1's are higher up on the audiophile charts.

Dec 27, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #223 of 464
How old is your 80-ohm version?

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:06 AM Post #224 of 464
I will concede that soundstaging is better with the T1's. But In everything else I prefer the 770's.

Dec 27, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #225 of 464
  How old is your 80-ohm version?

Mine is about 3 years old.  250 version is 2 and a half months old, it's the newest version that comes in that new box style, with a pouch, etc. I don't have old ones to compare, but I know I was never as amazed by old 250's, but then again, I never heard them out of a setup  anywhere near the level of my current one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back