Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
Sep 12, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #181 of 464
Hi, recently purchased a pair of these to pair with my Bottlehead Crack and Sex amp as the misses was complaining about the leakage from my T1's if listening in bed.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the DT770's build quality and sonic abilities so far especially for the price and have just read they might benefit from some burning in I suspected they might and it would help with firming up of the bass which is a bit loose and woolly straight out of the box that and a little toning down in the treble is just what I felt was needed and hoped would be the case.

Cheers

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #182 of 464
  Hi, recently purchased a pair of these to pair with my Bottlehead Crack and Sex amp as the misses was complaining about the leakage from my T1's if listening in bed.

I have been pleasantly surprised by the DT770's build quality and sonic abilities so far especially for the price and have just read they might benefit from some burning in I suspected they might and it would help with firming up of the bass which is a bit loose and woolly straight out of the box that and a little toning down in the treble is just what I felt was needed and hoped would be the case.

Cheers

Beyers tend to have loose bass out of the box , my 770's bass became as tight as the 650-600s after 20 hours or so ....they'll become better !  

Sep 16, 2014 at 11:38 PM Post #183 of 464
Well, I have now sold my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm. Now, don't get me wrong, they are a nice pair of headphones. I am definitely going to miss those extremely comfortable velour pads.
frown.gif
 Unfortunately, the sound was just not completely to my liking. The bass was a tad too boomy, and the mids a little too recessed. I am looking for something with a more refined midrange, more open soundstage, and more controlled bass. I am currently looking at buying the AKG K612 Pro. I am hoping they will be to my liking. I am glad to see so many people here are happy with the DT770 Pro. Cheers to everyone here. I will be sure to report back in the forum with whatever I end up purchasing.

Sep 19, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #184 of 464
  Well, I have now sold my DT770 Pro 250 Ohm. Now, don't get me wrong, they are a nice pair of headphones. I am definitely going to miss those extremely comfortable velour pads.
frown.gif
 Unfortunately, the sound was just not completely to my liking. The bass was a tad too boomy, and the mids a little too recessed. I am looking for something with a more refined midrange, more open soundstage, and more controlled bass. I am currently looking at buying the AKG K612 Pro. I am hoping they will be to my liking. I am glad to see so many people here are happy with the DT770 Pro. Cheers to everyone here. I will be sure to report back in the forum with whatever I end up purchasing.

Have you listen  DT880? 250or600 Ohm
I read good review and has lot of fans in this forum

~ron~

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #185 of 464

Have you listen  DT880? 250or600 Ohm
I read good review and has lot of fans in this forum

~ron~

I have heard the DT880 Pro 250 ohm. I like the sound of it better than the DT770 Pro 250 ohm. That being said though, I ended up buying a pair of AKG K612 Pro today. It should be here in a few days. I am going to put up a review comparing the two headphones with my Racoon SG300 USB DAC/AMP combo after I burn the K612 Pro in for 20 hours or so.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #186 of 464
frown.gif

I find your description of the 770s on the 612 appreciation page interesting 
BOOM . BOOM , BOOM Mid-Bass and upper-bass is boomy bass , the 770s do not have a boomy bass.

Sep 19, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #187 of 464
  I find your description of the 770s on the 612 appreciation page interesting 
BOOM . BOOM , BOOM Mid-Bass and upper-bass is boomy bass , the 770s do not have a boomy bass.

It is well known that there is some considerable driver variance with the DT770 Pro. I can say that with my pair, and to my ears, they were boomy in the sub bass, and mid bass region. I used to use this EQ set in foobar2000 to attempt to get a more neutral sound.

55 hz at -2
77 hz at -1
110 hz at -1
1.8 kHz at +1
2.5 kHz at +1
3.5 kHz at +1
7 kHz at -1
10 kHz at -2
14 kHz at -2
20 kHz at -2

After several months of use, the sound did change slightly, and I ended up using this EQ set instead.

55 hz at -1
77 hz at -1
110 hz at -1
1.8 kHz at +1
2.5 kHz at +1
3.5 kHz at +1
7 kHz at -1
10 kHz at -1
14 kHz at -1
20 kHz at -1

After heavy burn in, the bass and treble did become a tad more tolerable. However, the sibilance in the 10 kHz to 16 kHz remained, and the boomy low end was still there. It is a very nice headphone, but I was just not completely happy with its sound signature. They are also the most comfortable headphone I have ever used to date.

Sep 19, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #188 of 464
A brief follow up on the DT770pro 250ohm and how they compared to my T1 using the Bottlehead Crack amp

For the £109 for a new pair of the net I have been pleasantly surprised as to the build quality and sonics of these closed back cans. Straight out of the box they sounded very treble accentuated and the bass was loose and bloomy.  After approximately 20-40hrs the treble has toned down considerably and the bass has tightened up they are now giving a more even presentation.

The DT770 and T1 do share a similar beyer house sound but will come as no real surprise the T1 significantly outclasses them in abilities.

These were the main differences with the T1 having,

A more even presentation and a more present and believable midrange.
A airier and more even handed presentation.
A smoother treble extension.
Much better resolution and separation (DT770 has some merging in its presentation.  The T1 can often clearly define backing singers as individuals with each singer given their own details ie a tambourine etc while with the DT770 the same singers tend to be more of a one).
Tighter faster and more controlled bass (but not as much actual bass impact as the DT770 which is fun with funk).
Much better sound staging.

All in all I am pretty happy with the DT770 they have filled the roll I required of them quiet admirably, they seal particularly well and while not as refined as the T1 I think offer really good value and are enjoyable to listen with much preferring them to a pair of AKG Q 701 owned earlier in the year.

Oct 12, 2014 at 5:02 AM Post #189 of 464
I just showed a friend what these headphones could do and they were really impressed. Having never heard proper Hi-End headphones before. It seemed to open their mind to new possibilities. Like a light switching on in their head.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #190 of 464
Hi Guys!

I own my DT770 PRO 250 about 2 years now. Got a few same price tag headphones as well. So far been pairing them with STX (2 LME49990 1 AD797BR) through RCA. I always like them for they spatial abilities - as that is what I enjoy mostly in my records. Now i upgraded STX to Yulong D200. Among all the headphones i have, DT770 showed the best progress in the matter of all the aspects of sound. One the DAC is superrior and two, the AMP (which was bypassed in STX) makes a huge difference in the musicality of these cans. I am aware that fellow headfiers are pairind the D200 with planar magnetics and such - but what i mostly wanted to say here is that - the DT770 are like a few steps ahead now comparing to the STX. So if You own them and are plugging them to something simmilar to STX or lower, and maybe with insufficient amping - You are not hearing them in full blast.

Oct 15, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #191 of 464
  Hi Guys!

I own my DT770 PRO 250 about 2 years now. Got a few same price tag headphones as well. So far been pairing them with STX (2 LME49990 1 AD797BR) through RCA. I always like them for they spatial abilities - as that is what I enjoy mostly in my records. Now i upgraded STX to Yulong D200. Among all the headphones i have, DT770 showed the best progress in the matter of all the aspects of sound. One the DAC is superrior and two, the AMP (which was bypassed in STX) makes a huge difference in the musicality of these cans. I am aware that fellow headfiers are pairind the D200 with planar magnetics and such - but what i mostly wanted to say here is that - the DT770 are like a few steps ahead now comparing to the STX. So if You own them and are plugging them to something simmilar to STX or lower, and maybe with insufficient amping - You are not hearing them in full blast.

The STX powers them just fine.
As far as scaling-up goes... its a high impedance system in the end.

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:32 PM Post #192 of 464
Okay. I will not agree with that. May power them them just fine - but there is a far distance from fine to being amped so good by a better amp. It's as always - something is fine/good untill there is something better - right :)? And DT770 between HFI780, ATH-A700X, K550 - are showing the biggest changes/improvements in sounding. I may not know the best sounding gear yet, but i know DT770 quite well paired with STX and now i am just blown with them.

Oct 15, 2014 at 9:44 PM Post #193 of 464
Lots of things can be powered "just fine", but there is quite a difference when it is powered "right".
"Just fine" tends to suck and pretty much makes the headphone a waste of your money versus a cheaper or similarly priced, more efficient headphone, while powering it "right" gets your money's worth out of it and then some.  After that, sure, you may find better amplifiers, but the difference is generally marginal from that point on.

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #194 of 464
  Okay. I will not agree with that. May power them them just fine - but there is a far distance from fine to being amped so good by a better amp. It's as always - something is fine/good untill there is something better - right :)? And DT770 between HFI780, ATH-A700X, K550 - are showing the biggest changes/improvements in sounding. I may not know the best sounding gear yet, but i know DT770 quite well paired with STX and now i am just blown with them.

Where is proof Yulong is 'better' amp than stx? Just seems to me is your subjective point of view. Maybe it's true for you, but no guarantee at all for other people. I would surely be careful, because I know personally STX is excellent transparent amp (beside 10 ohm impedance, which is not issue for high impedance dt770).

Oct 15, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #195 of 464
  Lots of things can be powered "just fine", but there is quite a difference when it is powered "right".
"Just fine" tends to suck and pretty much makes the headphone a waste of your money versus a cheaper or similarly priced, more efficient headphone, while powering it "right" gets your money's worth out of it and then some.  After that, sure, you may find better amplifiers, but the difference is generally marginal from that point on.

Not sure you can power dt770 more right than with transparent amp. Maybe make a small difference with tube distortion if you like that, other than this STX will be good.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back