Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #166 of 464
I'm still new to the game, but I just joined the club, 2 hours ago. Previously using Sony XBA-2 IEMs (I wasn't a fan of headphones).

My setups:

Galaxy S4 (Poweramp) --> USB OTG --> Fiio E17 (+6 gain)
Sansa Clip+ (Rockbox) --> Fiio E17

- It's not as comfortable as people claimed. Feels like someone's squeezing my head.
- Had to tame the bass a little, too boomy.

Bought it refurbished for $130. I love it overall. Will let it break-in and do the tissue mod.

Aug 14, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #167 of 464
I just purchased these, got them in yesterday. They are very impressive sounding, and I am not even using an amp yet. (Building the m3 right now, and waiting on my o2 amp.)

I listen to some quite heavy and technical music, such as Amon Amarth and Rings of Saturn....

I was looking for headphones that had accurate tight bass without muddy sound or added color, but legitimate highs and mids. My ears are quite shot from being an avionics maintainer and not using proper ear protection when working on powered-on aircraft, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. I can say though, with bad ears, the bass for these headphones are spot on, maybe sometimes not enough.... but the highs and mids are as clean as a mountain river. They're great. They have a lot of room to sound better, and that's why I'm building too different amps.

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #168 of 464
I hope you're not as short as you look in that photo!!

I really like the sound of the dt770 a great deal. It sounds almost as though there is a subwoofer inside and the treble is very clean. For some, the top can be a bit too much and for others, the bass!!

The 990 is similar but slightly less in the bass and also slightly less in the top. For me, the DT990 has a rosy bloom, whereas the DT770 has a hard hitting bass and is a little 'cooler' in the top.

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:40 PM Post #169 of 464
It is quite unfortunate being short.

Anyway, that's exactly how I feel with the 770's ... the highs are what I notice more. Either way, amazing headphones, will keep my eye out on other deals for other amazing headphones. I'm starting a collection.

Also, maybe the AP2670 will darken the sound. Would sound amazing.

Aug 17, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #171 of 464
Always 80-ohm version for soundcards.

Aug 17, 2014 at 6:37 AM Post #174 of 464
I'm using built in audio from my crappy laptop... and I can drive these alright. Seriously, just get a pocket amplifier if you want something concealed, but if you're spending money on a sound card, build something external.

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #175 of 464
  I spent a few hours tonight with my DT770 Pro 250 ohm paired with my Racoon SG300 tube amp dac combo. I really wanted to get these two puppies sounding right together. After several tests and EQ tweaks in Foobar2000, I have the sound just about right to my ears now. I finally settled on the following.

55 hz at -2
77 hz at -1
110 hz at -1
1.8 kHz at +1
2.5 kHz at +1
3.5 kHz at +1
7 kHz at -1
10 kHz at -2
14 kHz at -2
20 kHz at -2

To my ears, this gives these headphones a much better sound. The sound is far less boomy, and much smoother overall. It took a few hours to get it just right, but this EQ set causes these headphones to become very flat and neutral sounding. I have to say that I am quite impressed now. The headphones just sound so much more enjoyable to me now after making these adjustments. I was thinking of picking up a pair of AKG K612 Pro soon, but I may wait a couple months to do that now. I think I will be happy with this for a good while.

Well, this is just an update to my previous post. After several months of use with the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, I can honestly say that the sound has changed a bit. The bass has become a little less boomy in the 50 to 80 hz range. The mids have remained a bit recessed, and unchanged. The treble, especially in the 12 to 16 kHz area has really toned itself down. With that being said, I now have another EQ set that is once again very good to my ears.

55 hz at -1
77 hz at -1
110 hz at -1
1.8 kHz at +1
2.5 kHz at +1
3.5 kHz at +1
7 kHz at -1
10 kHz at -1
14 kHz at -1
20 kHz at -1

Anyone else who is trying to get these headphones to sound "just right" should give this EQ set in foobar2000 a try. I think you will like it.

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:31 AM Post #176 of 464
  Well, this is just an update to my previous post. After several months of use with the DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, I can honestly say that the sound has changed a bit. The bass has become a little less boomy in the 50 to 80 hz range. The mids have remained a bit recessed, and unchanged. The treble, especially in the 12 to 16 kHz area has really toned itself down. With that being said, I now have another EQ set that is once again very good to my ears.

55 hz at -1
77 hz at -1
110 hz at -1
1.8 kHz at +1
2.5 kHz at +1
3.5 kHz at +1
7 kHz at -1
10 kHz at -1
14 kHz at -1
20 kHz at -1

Anyone else who is trying to get these headphones to sound "just right" should give this EQ set in foobar2000 a try. I think you will like it.

This is what I use for DT770pro-250 once in a while, the 80-ohm version has more treble boost and plenty more midbass so a bit more attenuation will be needed where the yellow curve is.  This setting needs work in the bass, and I never feel like bothering with it in the 250-ohm version as it is fine to me; but in the 80-ohm version, sometimes the bass is just too much for bassy albums and they end up sounding distorted due to the balance being thrown so far off.

Sep 10, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #177 of 464
I've been having so much fun with these dt770 250 ohms. I build AMB's M3 ...waoooooooo so fun. What other recommendations do ya'll have for fun headphones like the dt 770 pro 250 ohms? (While maintaining quality)

Sep 11, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #178 of 464
DT990-600 (yeah, 600 ohm, the 250 and 32 versions sound awful) and T90 are immensely fun.
Beware that T90 is a treble monster, so tread with caution, but the quality will not disappoint you.  I love it myself.  ATH-W1000X must be a lot of fun, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet.  It has a lot in common sonically with A2000X according to what a few W1kX owners told me, so with copious bass and woody flavoring, it must surely be quite, quite fun, and the quality will not disappoint you in the least.

Sep 12, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #180 of 464
The moment I started listening to my favorite tunes with this pair of headphones I fell in love with the sound. I especially loved hearing the crisp acoustics and deep bass, but good sound separation this headphone sauntered. Not to mention, the ear pad are tremendously comfortable. 

In comparison I found the HD 650 lacking in depth, but with this headphone the sound was rich and full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back