Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro vs. Beyerdynamic DT 990 2005 Edition
Feb 14, 2008 at 1:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

cactus_farmer

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Not sure which of these to get. Are there any appreciable differences in sound quality between the two? And if there are, is it worth paying almost twice as much for the updated version (over the Pro's) for them?

Also, I'm pretty confused as to the whole Beyerdynamic timeline - did the old DT 880's used to be the flagship headphone over the DT 990 Pro's, but now with the updated (2005) versions of both, the DT 990 is the top of the line model?

Thanks for any help...

Feb 17, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #5 of 11
This has been covered several times. Older DT990 and DT990 Pro and DT990 2005 have same drivers. While they all have similar sound, prominent highs and bass, the sound is bit different due to different cups and dampening, but which is better depends on listener. Pro version has coiled cable, and tighter clamping force which also affects the sound, but you can bend it looser to have normal DT990 sound.

Note, I have heard only DT990 '05, so I cant give any insights which I keep better. Many like '05 over older, but then again Headphonesguru website likes older one better saying that it has more natural sound. Be it this way or that way, I think older version is one helluva deal nowadays because its so cheap.

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 11
I own the Beyerdynamic DT 900 Pro from 2 weeks and never experienced that fidelity and exceptional sound quality in my life, balanced sound, no boost for Bass, but take care as these headphones hurt your ears if you boost it and hear it loud. They are Hand made headphones, robust construction, Made in Germany, very reasonable price on Amazon , for more details, checkout

http://best-amazon-headphone-reviews.com/beyerdynamic-dt-990-pro/

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #8 of 11
Heya,

I have the latest DT990 600ohm (premium, not pro) and it's paired with a Little Dot MK III. I do not experience piercing treble at all. Everything is actually quite clear and rounds off nicely. Great bass, but it's not overwhelming. Vocals are hauntingly nice. It's my main for movies/games and most music. Sound stage is enormous and positioning is great. You simply cannot go wrong with the headphone. I can't recommend it enough to anyone looking for a bassy headphone that is open-air that is really comfortable and snazzy looking. Just remember to pair these kinds of headphones with nice DACs. Don't let 600ohm make you think you need a powerful amplifier. You don't really need much power, they're not hard to drive. But a good DAC goes a long way.

Very best,

Aug 19, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #9 of 11
I can't speak for the DT 990 05 edition, but I can honestly say that the DT 990 Pro is awesome value for the money. Best blend I've seen yet of build, comfort and quality.  

If you like bass, detail and a wide soundstage you cannot go wrong with the Beyer DT 990 line in my opinion.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
...comfort and quality...

OMG all of you say they are comfy, so my head must be enormous because after two hours I think that I wear vice 
duggehsmile.png
 trying to squeeze my brain.

Feb 22, 2020 at 7:04 AM Post #11 of 11
I own one DT990 (2015 original purchase date, laid in the box - so pretty new over ally "not even burned in") the 250 ohm version since today and i really love it!
There is a lot of bass i don't know what others are complaining about.
I'm coming from a pair of "disintegrated" Sony MDR-V700DJ headphones and i truly loved its sound but this DT990 is another universe :gs1000smile:

Yeah & they are easily the most comfortable over the ear headphones I’ve ever used

Have a nice time

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back