Beyerdynamic DT 990 32 ohm *Help*
Jul 26, 2011 at 11:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Fadious

New Head-Fier
Hello headfi-ers!

I have $400 and i'm planning to buy:

- Beyerdynamic DT 990 32 ohm ($300)
- Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Processor ($70) 
- Turtle Beach Audio Advantage Micro II USB Analog & Digital Audio Adapter ($25)
- Digital Audio Toslik Cable ($5)

From Amazon (i can only buy from Amazon)

I want the DT 990 because of its great thumping Bass and great sound stage, and because i want something for music, gaming & movies.

I need the DSS 7.1 for having surround sound for games and movies, and i can't buy a multi channel sound card because i'm using a laptop.

From what i understand the DSS also works as an amplifier of some sort & i'll be using it most of the time.

The Toslik cable and the Micro II USB are because i don't have an optical input in my laptop.

THE QUESTION:

Can i get a 250 ohm DT 990 if i use the amplification on the DSS? and is it better if i do?

Also if you have any remarks and suggestions i would be GRATEFUL  ^_^

Thanks  

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 32
Wait for a used-like new offer on amazon then.  It's what I would honestly do.  Or even a Pro variant of the DT990 for even less money, and use the extra for an external dac with an output level that isn't too high.  If the output level of the external dac is high enough (like the HRT Music Streamer) Then it will clip the Mixamp.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 32
Wow the DT 990 Pro 250 ohm is $170! That's $130 less than the DT 990 
blink.gif

But isn't the DT 990 much better than the DT 990 Pro version? 

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:36 PM Post #6 of 32
Not "much" better. It's all based on preference.

The pro series have a stronger clamp, more bass quantity. and a smaller soundstage.

In my opinion, you should get the 600ohm version which is commonly preferred here on headfi. It has the largest soundstage, best mids, least amount of aggressive treble, and best quality bass out of the whole DT 990 series.

I just scored one yesterday "Like New" on amazon for $243.

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 32

Quote:
Not "much" better. It's all based on preference.

The pro series have a stronger clamp, more bass quantity. and a smaller soundstage.

In my opinion, you should get the 600ohm version which is commonly preferred here on headfi. It has the largest soundstage, best mids, least amount of aggressive treble, and best quality bass out of the whole DT 990 series.

I just scored one yesterday "Like New" on amazon for $243.

Ok cool i found one for $243.99 as well, or is it the one you ordered :p
Did you receive it already, because i'm a bit hesitant about (Used - Like New) is there a flaw in it?
And i don't think i can get an amp to power it for $55 right?

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 32

Quote:
Did you receive it already, because i'm a bit hesitant about (Used - Like New) is there a flaw in it?
And i don't think i can get an amp to power it for $55 right?

Amazon has a 30 day return policy on Amazon Warehouse deals.
If you can't afford an amp, don't bother buying the DT-990 600ohms.

You are better off with the less expensive DT770s

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #9 of 32
My used-like new arrived in perfect condition, even with box.  The DT990 600Ω tends to sound good no matter what you put it in (my experiences) but sounds better with a powerful amp-- preferably tube amp with warm tubes to add meat to the mids and subdue the highs.

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #10 of 32

Quote:
My used-like new arrived in perfect condition, even with box.  The DT990 600Ω tends to sound good no matter what you put it in (my experiences) but sounds better with a powerful amp-- preferably tube amp with warm tubes to add meat to the mids and subdue the highs.

Hey, seeing how you have both the AD700 and DT 990s

How do they compare for competitive gaming with the astro mixamp?

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 32
I wouldn't recommend the DT-990/600 as it requires quite an amp.  I have had the 250s and the 600s and there really isn't much of a difference.  Those DT-990 250 pros are an INCREDIBLE steal at $130.  You can throw in a Mixamp, which is 10x better than the Turtle beach.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 32
Not if you get your own external dac.  I'm guessing that's kinda what the turtle beach card is, but there's better stuff out there to be had than the noisy products turtle beach makes.

Athadamll:

I haven't A/B'd them enough to get a firm conclusion.  I have tested both on the single player of games, and even only being amped by the Mixamp, I like thee the DT990 better than the AD700.  AD700 still supported a wider soundstage, but the DT990 seemed less busy and more clear, with more bass to boot.  I will eventually do a thorough comparison on FPS games-- particularly battlefield (I'm not much on cod)

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #14 of 32

[size=medium]
Correct me if i'm wrong please

The DT 990 is better than DT 770 for gaming due to it's greater sound stage
The DT 770 is better for bass heavy music genres like Dub Step, however the bass detail on the DT 990 is higher

[/size]

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #15 of 32

Quote:

i got a pair  or 990s as well in used like new condition from ebay.  Perfect condition and at a hell of a good price.  don't worry about the used part so much so long as they describe it being in like new or perfect condition.  ebay especially will always back up the buyer

just incase anybody in this thread is interested theres these:  880 premium 250 ohm NEW for 209$ free shipping : http://cgi.ebay.com/BEYERDYNAMIC-DT-880-PREMIUM-HEADPHONES-BRAND-NEW-/280712547559?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415bc58ce7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back