Beyerdynamic DT 880 vs Sennheiser HD 650
Apr 3, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #16 of 16
Further to this thread. I own both the HD600 and HD650. And listen through a tube amp. Although I love the HD650's fullness of instruments and delicately detailed treble, I find the bass a bit excessive and overbearing on some tracks, and to have a slight bass hump on other tracks. But I still prefer listening with the HD650's over the 600's for the fullness and treble reasons. As well as the 650's instruments sounding more complete/full. If I'd never heard the 650's I probably would've never thought of using the words "slightly thin" to describe the HD600's. But that would also be a big difference, for me, between these two Senn models. But I have to say that there are times I crave the upfront and articulate sound HD600's. Some posters comment that the HD600's sound dark. However, becasue I perfer the HD650 sound, I really don't understand such a description of the HD600. But...

Many comments I've come across which compare the DT880 to the HD600's aren't really that clear. Many simply say the HD600 is better than the DT880's without really rationalizing why and how their choice relates to their own listening preferences. Also, many don't clarify whether it's the 600ohm dt880 they're refering to, or the 250ohm, or the 32ohm variants. Beyerdynamic really should've thought about deploying an ohm variant designation like a, b, or c. But anyway...

The HD650's have always been my mainstays and will likely remain so for a good while yet. But I am curious about the dt880 600ohm's sound. I know that the DT880's aren't likely to match the delicate treble or instrument fullness/completeness of 650's. But I'm curious what people think about the DT880 600oms in comarison to the HD600's. Because I suspect these two are closer in sound that an HD650-DT880-600ohm comparison.

Given their reasonable price I'll likely purchase the DT880 600ohms to satisfy my own curiosity. But it would've been helpful to find some reasonably articulate comments on comparisons involving the DT880 variants when doing the 'ol "x versus y" google searches. What I find most important is the other person's listening preferences and why they like model "X" headphone. Because one person's bright might be another person's sibilant, which could even be another's treble roll off... hey, ya never know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back