Beyerdynamic DT 880 vs Sennheiser HD 650
Jun 19, 2004 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DanielHill

New Head-Fier
I just want to know peoples opinion on how these cans stack up to eachother.

Jun 19, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #2 of 16
Howdy Daniel (I introduced him to this site, and quite possibly will lead to his bankrupcy), check out the comparison between the two in the featured full headphone reviews. From very briefly hearing the DT 880, I felt that it was slightly more forward, slightly more bassy, but not quite as tight in the bass and high end dept. Wish I could offer more, but I only got the 880 for 2 minutes or so.

Jun 19, 2004 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 16
Beyers have a wider soundstage but not as deep or full sounding as the senns. Almost thin in comparison. The DT880 is more forward but not by much. The treble is cleaner and nicer sounding on the senns, and the mids, hands down the senns win. The Bass is also a no contest the senns much more powerful and I don't know if it go's deeper but as deep, and like I said, much more powerful sounding through the senns. Both are comfy, but out of the box the beyers win. The 650 are fairly tight when you get them and take a while for the pads to loosen up. After that almost even with the Beyers a slight edge. IMO the Beyers are good phones but the senns are better. the beyers can sound a little sterile. The 650's are more sensative and can be driven to higher volume with the level at the same place for both phones.(even though the senns have a higher rated imp.) Both can only really exceed with a good amp. I also think the hd650 is easier to match because I have heard the Beyers sound a little harsh in treble at times. These are my impressions after owning both pr.(beyers twice)

Jun 19, 2004 at 11:15 PM Post #4 of 16
I got my Beyer DT880 last week, and from all the descriptions I've read it would seem that equalizers haven't been invented yet.
rolleyes.gif
By producing an EQ curve that is an upside down version of the Headroom measurements, I've greatly improved their sound. It has eliminated the treble peak that causes that "treble forwardness". I don't know how they would stack up against the HD 650, but the improvement from the EQ was quite obvious even with a crappy computer sound-card. A dedicated headphone amp with a high quality DAC is the next step for me.

FET

Jun 20, 2004 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 16
I never had the chance to compare these phones side by side on adequate equipment and so I can´t say anything about their differencies in sound, but I found the DT880 much more comfortable than the HD650. Maybe the clamping force reduces a bit in the course of time, but I really doubt that it will make them considerably more comfortable. Of course this is just the way it feels on my head. I just want to advise you to try them on before buying either. Even the best sounding headphone on this earth will be worth nothing if it´s not comfortable enough to wear it for a longer listening session.

Jun 20, 2004 at 1:19 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphos
I never had the chance to compare these phones side by side on adequate equipment and so I can´t say anything about their differencies in sound, but I found the DT880 much more comfortable than the HD650. Maybe the clamping force reduces a bit in the course of time, but I really doubt that it will make them considerably more comfortable. Of course this is just the way it feels on my head. I just want to advise you to try them on before buying either. Even the best sounding headphone on this earth will be worth nothing if it´s not comfortable enough to wear it for a longer listening session.

The clamping force go's away as the pads soften. They are tighter than the 600's I got were. But the end result will be the same. They get very comfy after the pads soften with time. it doesn't take that very long at all. If you want to speed it up just stretch out the band. But it's not a must do.
600smile.gif

Jun 20, 2004 at 1:38 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Your wrong. The clamping force go's away as the pads soften. They are tighter than the 600's I got were. But the end result will be the same. They get very comfy after the pads soften with time. it doesn't take that very long at all. If you want to speed it up just stretch out the band. But it's not a must do.
600smile.gif

If only the cushions will soften it will not be enough for me, cause I found the whole clamp too tight. But do you mean that the clamp itself will become softer? If yes, I might have to reconsider the HD600/650.

Jun 20, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sisyphos
If only the cushions will soften it will not be enough for me, cause I found the whole clamp too tight. But do you mean that the clamp itself will become softer? If yes, I might have to reconsider the HD600/650.

yes the band gets looser and the pads get softer. the phones become very comfortable.

Jun 20, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 16
On the comfort issue, I went from A900 (blisffully comfortable) to the Senns, and have no complaints.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 16
I find the dt 880 to be very comfortable. As far as sound goes: I have the 600ohm. flac to foobar to v-dac to little dot MK111 to phones. I possess many a gear but every time I plug this setup in I am blown away. ( not to airy, perfect balance of highs to lows) Any kind of music.
I have to admit that without the dac and amp I probably would think they were junk.
o2smile.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 5:13 AM Post #11 of 16
Wow! this thread is very old! You just revived it! Still, my choice is getting the Sennheiser HD650's. Mids and lows are perfect.

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:47 AM Post #13 of 16
Why must Junior Head-fiers always bump historic threads lol? Remember, every thread you visit, ALWAYS check the date of at least the first comment...
tongue.gif

Mar 21, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #15 of 16
The two headphone at very close league, i personally prefer DT990 to HD650.

Highs : Both are very good, HD650 do better in extend, but 990 do better in "solidity", or lesser "compass feeling" .

Mid : Both are very clean and natural, IMO,990 wins in tone accurate and transparency, just slight.

Bass : HD650 wins,although DT990 has more bass amount than 650, but HD650
definitively has more natural and clean "texture".

Sound-field : the two are more different than which is better. HD650 can make a solidity and vivid "stage" , 990 can make a boundless and huge "scape"

Dynamic : DT990 wins in dynamic range, HD650 wins in micro- dynamic.

Transient :Seems 990 doing slight better than 650, i don't know if this "judgment" is just treble relation. both are the fastest headphone i ever heard , but 990 catches more "airiness" in recording.

p.s. HD650 is the "black silk foam" ver., DT990 is 250ohm ver. .

p.s.s. The black silk foam ver. HD650 easily make low treble too "laid-back", or unnatural "black"background , this is the major problem when driver HD650, just as DT990's "sizzy"
Those problem can been solve by proper amp , not headphone it shelf's essential character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back