Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO THOUGHTS
Oct 1, 2011 at 10:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

kirr45

New Head-Fier
Who here likes these headphones? Are they good for deep bass songs as well as jazz and classical where the details are important? Does the lack of a detachable cord turn you off? Do they need an amp? How is the long term comfort? (I usually use my headphones on cross-atlantic 14hrs+ flights)

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 11
I'm confused. Everybody says they're good. But reviews are different than people that actually own them. Reviews are just quick summaries of how they are. THey usually only use them less than a day I would assume. It's so hard looking for a closed-back headphone that is good for detailed music like jazz. 

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #4 of 11
Are you talking about the Pro 80 ohm or 250 ohm?
the 80 ohm version is a rather bassy can. they do need some juice to get that bass out of them. out of just my phone or portable player they sound thin and lacking in the bass department. maybe not lacking but unbalanced down there. My ears think they have great detail and clarity in the bass and sub bass department. better than any other headphone i've spent a lot of time with.

that said they don't have much in the upper-midrange and lower-highs areas

they are kinda my guilty pleasure when i just want skull rattling bass or want to hear some very detailed drums or bass guitar

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #5 of 11
I'm confused. Everybody says they're good. But reviews are different than people that actually own them. Reviews are just quick summaries of how they are. THey usually only use them less than a day I would assume. It's so hard looking for a closed-back headphone that is good for detailed music like jazz. 

People that do reviews have them for weeks, if not months or years. What's your budget?

Oct 2, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #6 of 11

Quote:

A review is the most detailed evaluation of a headphone you are going to find, and I figure is probably from someone who has used them extensively but maybe I'm just crazy.

Why don't you try looking at comparisons with other headphones. The main competitors for the the DT770s are probably going to be Denons and Ultrasones. But for jazz, AKG/Sennheiser/Grados seems to be top recommendations. Look into the DT880s or 990s. DT770s is more for dance, hip hop, electronica, etc. 

I'm the least qualified to help you with jazz, unless you mean smooth jazz, which is a big difference. 

Here is a thread to get you started, there are more......

http://www.head-fi.org/t/486856/blues-jazz-best-headphones/30

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 11

What's the difference in sound with regard to the different impedences? 80, 250 and 320 am I right?
Quote:
Are you talking about the Pro 80 ohm or 250 ohm?
the 80 ohm version is a rather bassy can. they do need some juice to get that bass out of them. out of just my phone or portable player they sound thin and lacking in the bass department. maybe not lacking but unbalanced down there. My ears think they have great detail and clarity in the bass and sub bass department. better than any other headphone i've spent a lot of time with.
that said they don't have much in the upper-midrange and lower-highs areas
they are kinda my guilty pleasure when i just want skull rattling bass or want to hear some very detailed drums or bass guitar

Oct 2, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 11
I have had my dt770/80 for a few weeks now and I love them. The bass is at its max potential with an amp, I get pretty good low frequencies from my E9 but I don't listen to enough jazz/classical to answer your question though. Comfort is really good because of such large ear cups, there is plenty of room inside. As far as sound isolation, they are okay. I wouldn't recommend them flights if you rely on something to counter engine noise.

Oct 2, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #9 of 11
What's the difference in sound with regard to the different impedences? 80, 250 and 320 am I right?

the pro comes in 80 and 250
the premium comes in 32 250 and 600

the 250 pro sounds more like the premiums. less bass than the 80 but a little more boom than the premiums.

Feb 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 11
I have these and they are perfect for EDM music and Trance/Hard dance.

pretty decent with symphonic metal with the few tracks I've played.

The bass is nice, complex, and not boomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back