Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro for classical music
May 30, 2012 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sakosako

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've never owned high-end headphones before and I am looking at getting the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro.

1) Will this be a good choice for listening to mostly classical music (80% classical, 20% vocals)? I listened to them at a shop, and was blown away by - specially - the soundstage.

2) I know that there are many threads about the 250ohms vs 80ohms, but I really want to know if there's a difference in the quality of sound between the two (please excuse the ignorant question). I am mainly looking at using the headphones with my portable (I do have a proper home amplifyer and may connect the headphones to it when I feel like it, but not often though). I don't also mind buying the Fiio E17 down the track if I have to - I am dying to listen to pure/beautiful music whatever it takes (with a reasonable budget)

3) Yes, I am set on getting closed headphones (well... 95% certain), as I will be doing most of the listening at work at my desk.

Thanks very much.

May 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:
I've never owned high-end headphones before and I am looking at getting the Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro.
1) Will this be a good choice for listening to mostly classical music (80% classical, 20% vocals)? I listened to them at a shop, and was blown away by - specially - the sound stage.
2) I know that there are many threads about the 250ohms vs 80ohms, but I really want to know if there's a difference in the quality of sound between the two (please excuse the ignorant question). I am mainly looking at using the headphones with my portable (I do have a proper home amplifier and may connect the headphones to it when I feel like it, but not often though). I don't also mind buying the Fiio E17 down the track if I have to - I am dying to listen to pure/beautiful music whatever it takes (with a reasonable budget)
3) Yes, I am set on getting closed headphones (well... 95% certain), as I will be doing most of the listening at work at my desk.

When I use my Essence STX to drive my DT770 Pro 80-Ohm and DT770 Pro 250-Ohm, it is very hard to tell the difference.
In general the 250-Ohm will have a little more clarity then the 80-Ohm.
But, if you can get an 80-Ohm for way cheaper, get the 80.

May 31, 2012 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks for that PurpleAngel.
Will either be appropriate for listening classical? I am of the opinion that both will require an amp anyway... is that correct?
Also, just wondering if there's any other input out there.
Thanks again.

May 31, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #4 of 9
I have the Pro-80's, and I think they are good with classical.
I have better cans that I now use for that genre, but without comparing them to other headphones, the Pro-80's do a good job with classical.

The 80 ohm version are said to be bassier than the 250 ohm version (from what I've read), but the bass is only booming when it's in the music, and less apparent with bass light tracks.
My ipod can drive the 80's to loud levels at about 85% max volume, but the 250's might not get as loud.
If you will be getting the E17, all should be fine.
I'd suggest trying both versions with your own mp3 player and music and seeing for yourself. Or ordering from a store with a good return policy.

May 31, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #6 of 9
Usually you can't hook up an external DAC to portable audio players.
So with the Fiio E17, chances are you can not use it's DAC with portables.
So save a few dollars and get the Fiio E11.

May 31, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Usually you can't hook up an external DAC to portable audio players.
So with the Fiio E17, chances are you can not use it's DAC with portables.
So save a few dollars and get the Fiio E11.

+1

Quote:
Thanks for that... all very good tips. Curious to know what are the better cans you're referring to?

I listen to classical on my Sennheiser HD 600's, and anything with strings on my Denon AH D7000's .... but both of those are pricier than the Beyers.
If you use the search engine on here, there are threads recommending different cans for classical.
But the DT 770's are a good choice, I still love those headphones, and they are super comfortable.

May 31, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Thanks for that... I'll have a look around in the search to see what else is there beside the Beyer 770 Pro for classical (though I need it to be closed... I know that's not optimum for classical, but I will be doing most of the listening in the office and I don't want to start creating enemies for creating any sound polution :)

Jul 3, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 9
Hi, as it turned out, I ended up getting the Beyer 770 Pro 250ohm - brilliant and beautiful AND very comfortable... I am in love :) but I can see how it can benefit from an amp.

Question again please re Fiio E17 vs E11.

I use a simple/cheap portable CD player at home to feed my Rotel Amp which in turn drives my beautiful AR speakers - sound is ok but not super great (due to the CD player I am 99.9% sure).

Excuse the silly question, but if I get the Fiio E17, and beside using it as a headphone amp, will it benefit my home setup - can it be connected to the CD player for example to make the sound sound better (I know this may be a dumb question)?

Or as PurpleAngel is saying, I should save a few $ and just get the E11?

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back