Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80ohm first impressions
Jan 8, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #17 of 28
Quote:
I couldn't find specs about that creative card.. But before making final judgment about the DT770's, I would try driving them from a known low impedance source, to be sure it's not coloring the headphones sound.

Ill be able to tell you for sure in about a week. I have a fiio e10 on the way. 

Quote:
always thought the piercing treble is the main problem of the dt770

Thats never been a problem with mine. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #18 of 28
I ended up getting ATH M50's for $80 and found them to sound much better in my opinion but they lack comfort by far. I am also in the same boat trying to find another alternative to the 770's. I was thinking of the DT 880 pro 250 or AKG K701 even though they aren't closed.

M50's for 80$? Used or new? That's a pretty good price. 

The premium version will need an amp too.  The problem with the DT880s is that they are a semi-open can, meaning that they are going to leak (both ways) just like an open can would. 

I would imagine 32 ohms would be easy to drive. Good to know I guess. 

Quote:

always thought the piercing treble is the main problem of the dt770

I agree with Loki on this, never the treble to be piercing. What do you find discomforting about the m50s? 

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #26 of 28
Quote:
I couldn't find specs about that creative card.. But before making final judgment about the DT770's, I would try driving them from a known low impedance source, to be sure it's not coloring the headphones sound.

Sorry I was posting from my cellphone when I replied earlier, its an audigy2 zs platinum ex... its featured in this review:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/creative-audigy2-zs.html

I can attest its a pretty good sound source, this comparing to some previous audio interfaces I've owned in the past. It colors the sound slightly but not in a negative way, not drastically to where the headphones will sound out of character. In fact, my Sony MDR-7506s sound better than ever with this sound card/audio interface.

I believe I may know what is also skewing my perception on the Beyerdynamic DT-770. The fit of the ear cups on the 770s are completely closed ear, where as the Sony's (again I have to make this comparison since I've used them the most for the past 10 yrs and its what I'm used to) , although are supposed to be a closed ear design, actually fit as a sort of a hybrid over ear/ semi closed ear due to the size of ear cup and distance of the driver to the ear. Although the Beyer's do a better job at sound isolation, it closes off air circulation completely and it feels almost as if I have a suction cup on my ears, giving a weird effect like being on an airplane at times when it starts elevating. Anyway, this sort of creates a nasal effect in a way, combined that with the boomy wide bass and it gives it this nasal sound. Most earphones I have tried in the past that claim to be closed ear never really fit entirely closed over the ears, most cups have laid partially on the ear, which always gives a bit of air and perhaps provide some benefit to the sound.   This person describes the symptom that the DT-770 suffers from pretty well in this review of the 770s and comparison with teh Shure 840s: http://randycoppinger.com/2012/03/08/shure-v-sony-hphones/

I think what I am looking for may be something along the likes of the MDR-7506, sound wise (character) but with improved, refined sound and improved sound stage. The downsides to the 7506s is the quality of the treble as it can be harsh and mechanical, sort of grainy at times, this leads to fatigue especially if you try to listen for more than an hour with raised volume. It can have a tinny type sound at times and the base could be improved although not that necessary, especially not at the cost of inserting artificial base. Comfort is not that big of a deal for me, at the end of the day, I want a great pair of sounding headphones... as long as they are not as uncomfortable as the Sennheiser HD-25s

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #27 of 28
After trying out different types of music, I can see these do best rap and rock (although a hit or miss depending on the style)... it does well with music  that is not too busy, not too many elements, nor a very fast tempo. I would say anything int he 90-116 bpm range. With rap, the bass has space in the mix to expand and extend (due to tempo) and doesn't get lost in the mix. With rock, especially some older stuff, the character of the headphones adds to the already nice warmth character of guitar distortion, with the drums as well, and the sound stage works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back