Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 80ohm first impressions
Jan 7, 2013 at 11:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

bachatum

Head-Fier
So I finally got to test these bad boys out and I'm surprised, not in a good way. Those who said these are excessively heavy on bass were absolutely correct. I'm surprised these get recommended as often as they do. The sound that is they present on the high end and mids are OK but they get overpowered by the bass. Simply put, they feel imbalanced and this is very apparent when you have music that may be a little bit heavy on bass but also carries various other elements (for example Dance music with vocals). I would have thought that it would make bass heavy music sound better but no, it just makes everything muddy.

Keep in mind I am coming off of Sony MDR-7506's which I've owned for about 10 yrs. I know the Sony's are sharp but the DT-770s sound very muddy in comparison. In fact, not even comparing to the Sony's, I took a break all together, listened straight ahead to the DT-770s with fresh ears and once again, they just simply feel imbalanced and EQ'd. Its as if someone took the 100-250mhz and bumped it up a couple of notches. Only if, they wouldn't had done that and balanced the bass out with the mids and treble..hmm.

Anyway, I will give them a couple more goes before giving up on them.

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #2 of 28
Here's my favorite impression of the DT770-80:

Quote:
If anything, the DT770/80 is the muddy one.

Here is my sophisticated and well-thought description of its sound:

[size=x-large]THUMP[/size][size=x-large] THUMP THUMP[/size][size=xx-small]splashy splash [/size][size=x-large]THUMP THUMP THUMP[/size]

All mid-bass with some splashy somewhat-sibilant treble mixed in.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 28
I agree that the DT770-80 pro are very heavy on the low end, although it isn't really the bass (which I find is actually somewhat lacking), rather it is the mid-bass that threatens to overshadow everything. 

I have also found that they have improved immensely with time.  I've had my pair since 2007, and when I first got them was quite disappointed with the sound, finding that they were mid-bass heavy, and sibilant, with an overall muddy feel.  Needless to say, I was not impressed, however I was unable to return them because I was busy moving from place to place, so I kept them and put many, many hours on them. 

After having used my DT770s for five and a half years now, the sound has improved tremendously.  Although they still suffer from a mid-bass hump, it is greatly diminished, the sibilance that I used to hear frequently is a vague memory, and they sound (fairly) open and clear to my ears now.  I don't believe that this is entirely due to a change in the sound signature of the headphones themselves (although other people who had heard them early on in their life, and again later have commented on the improvement as well), I am sure that it is also partly a shift in the sound signature that my ears are accustomed to.

All of this is to say that although you may not be overly fond of the DT770 now, they can definitely grow on you, especially once your ears become more accustomed to their sound signature than that of the Sony which are known for being bass light.  That said, if the DT770 aren't for you (which is the case for many people) there are many other options out there that can suit you better without needing to put as many listening hours on them first. 

Good luck to you in your quest to find the right headphones! 

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #4 of 28
For me it was always the upper bass-lower midrange recession 300~900Hz that I never could get used to.  It made guitar cabinets sound very thin and poorly mic'd.  Singers noted for having a deep, resonant voice sounded way off.  I recabled them with canare starquad, but it didn't make much difference at all.  Sold them off long ago.  The bass was fun though... IMHO.

Jan 8, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #5 of 28
Additionally to the sound character I don't like is how wide the sound is, I don't mind it for the mid and higher frequencies but wide bass doesn't sound well as i'm always used to bass being more centered. I realize that the bass in these seems partially artificial as in boomy base effect from a wooden speaker box or sound chamber.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:08 PM Post #6 of 28
I love mine, but I'm a basshead. Are you using an amp with them? Ive always used mine umamped and yes they do get a bit muddy, but for me its never an issue. I always figured amping them could clean them up a bit and make them really shine. I have no proof to back that up though.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:
So I finally got to test these bad boys out and I'm surprised, not in a good way. Those who said these are excessively heavy on bass were absolutely correct. I'm surprised these get recommended as often as they do. The sound that is they present on the high end and mids are OK but they get overpowered by the bass. Simply put, they feel imbalanced and this is

What is your source/headphone amp?

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #9 of 28
I think I just go used to the 7506 monitors which are more true to the source _ if the music was bass heavy your hear it, if not you don't.

One thing I do like about the 770s is the comfort and the mids/highs are non fatiguing.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:25 PM Post #10 of 28
Would I be best looking into the dt 880s or is there a better balanced closed headphones in the same price range from beyer? They don't have to.be completely sealed, I don't mind the fit of the 7506s.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 28
Ill tell you I went from AD700s to the DT770s. Your ears take a bit to get "used" to the headphones. Even now I cant go back to my AD700s without them sounding like crap for a while or visa versa. I know you said you took a break even but who knows. If I listen to the AD700s for a while and go back to the DT770s they sound like total mud until I get used to them again. 

The 770s are probably the most comfortable headphones Ive ever worn. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 28
I couldn't find specs about that creative card.. But before making final judgment about the DT770's, I would try driving them from a known low impedance source, to be sure it's not coloring the headphones sound.

Jan 8, 2013 at 3:33 PM Post #13 of 28
I find both the AD700 and DT770s to be comfortable headphones. I also agree that switching between the two cans throw off your ears. From my knowledge, if you look into the dt880s, you are going to need an amp (unless you are referring to the premium version).

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:
I find both the AD700 and DT770s to be comfortable headphones. I also agree that switching between the two cans throw off your ears. From my knowledge, if you look into the dt880s, you are going to need an amp (unless you are referring to the premium version).

The premium version will need an amp too.  The problem with the DT880s is that they are a semi-open can, meaning that they are going to leak (both ways) just like an open can would. 

Jan 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #15 of 28
I returned my DT 770 pro 80's for the same reason. They are very comfortable but just too much punch of bass. I ended up getting ATH M50's for $80 and found them to sound much better in my opinion but they lack comfort by far. I am also in the same boat trying to find another alternative to the 770's. I was thinking of the DT 880 pro 250 or AKG K701 even though they aren't closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back