Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80: Good for Gaming and Electronic music?
Oct 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

codemanj94

New Head-Fier
I am looking at buying a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro-80 Closed Studio Headphones, and the JDS Labs O2+ODAC Combo AMP.
Now, I am still new to the whole high end audio thing, but I've heard great things about both of these from the forums.
However, I'm more concerned with the headphones, and them not being good for gaming.
While I love tons of bass for music, it's also essential to hear all the little details in an FPS game. You guys refer to that as the "soundstage" I believe.
Other members recommended the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 for gaming
I currently own the Audio-Technica ATH-M50S. While these are good for "all round" use as everyone says, they don't have a great soundstage I guess?
Which is why I am turning to buying the DT770s, plus an amp for all my headphones.
I really don't want to spend more than $200 on another pair of headphones. So don't go trying to recommend Audeze or Sennheiser.

Sorry for the long story, yadda yadda.
tl'dr Should I get DT770 for gaming or another pair?

Oct 30, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #2 of 10
The DT770 Pro 250-Ohm are a little more balanced (little less bass).
Sennheiser HD558s ($130) might be a better choice, open and not as bassy as the DT770s.

Oct 31, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 10
  Would you say the sound stage is good for the DT770s? The 80s and 250s.

The 250-Ohm might be a little better for sound stage, as it's slightly lighter bass would interfere slightly less with the surround sound.

Nov 2, 2013 at 9:35 AM Post #5 of 10
Alright I'll stay in the same thread here
And I know the site is more towards headphones than microphones, but I am also in the market for a better preamp
During my search I found http://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberg_ur22.htm Which would power my condenser mic AND headphones?
How does that amp compare to the JDS Labs one?

EDIT: Was looking at this one too http://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_saffire_6_usb.htm. But I noticed it's only 24bit/96khz compared to the Steinberg one which is 24bit/192khz

Nov 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 10
  Alright I'll stay in the same thread here
And I know the site is more towards headphones than microphones, but I am also in the market for a better preamp
During my search I found http://www.thomann.de/gb/steinberg_ur22.htm Which would power my condenser mic AND headphones?
How does that amp compare to the JDS Labs one?

EDIT: Was looking at this one too http://www.thomann.de/gb/focusrite_saffire_6_usb.htm. But I noticed it's only 24bit/96khz compared to the Steinberg one which is 24bit/192khz

I really doubt you would notice any audio quality improvement going with 24/192 over 24/96.

Nov 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #7 of 10
  I really doubt you would notice any audio quality improvement going with 24/192 over 24/96.

Alright so I looked it up and apparently humans can't hear over 60khz anyway. So indeed it wouldn't matter...

But in regards to my other question: Would getting a two in one type amp like this be... not necessarily "better", but more cost efficient and still have very good results, compared to separate amps for mic and headphones?

Nov 2, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #8 of 10
  Alright so I looked it up and apparently humans can't hear over 60khz anyway. So indeed it wouldn't matter...

But in regards to my other question: Would getting a two in one type amp like this be... not necessarily "better", but more cost efficient and still have very good results, compared to separate amps for mic and headphones?

As your into gaming.
Get the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z (SB1500), $100.
Comes with a decent headphone amplifier and a nice DAC chip (CS4398).
Then spend the rest of your budget on headphones.

Nov 3, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #10 of 10
  Haha okay, but that still doesn't help with my microphone then. I need a new preamp for it. Which is why I asked if this preamp was good. It also has an input for headphones,

I know very little about those types of devices, I'm assuming your referring to the Midi input, for input with a microphone?
The SB-Z comes with a Mic input (3.5mm).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back