Beyerdynamic DT 770 80Ω sounds...eh. Amp noobie
Aug 16, 2012 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hiccups

New Head-Fier

First off, you guys all rule; being extremely dedicated to what you love and giving back to the community. I look forward to being on this a very long time.

I am very new to audio and everything is exciting and like a whole new world I am discovering.
I currently own a pair of the DT 770 pro 80Ω, as well as the Klipsch S4 earbuds.
My two main sources of audio all the time are my Macbook Pro and an iPod Classic 6th gen.

With the Beyers...I am not sure what I might be doing wrong, but there is some static from my laptop for like real bassy parts of songs; and my with my ipod I have to go almost max with the volume to get some good sound through my Beyers. 

Could I get some guidance on this? How can I rid myself of this static and "properly" drive the speakers?

Aug 16, 2012 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 7
Quote:

First off, you guys all rule; being extremely dedicated to what you love and giving back to the community. I look forward to being on this a very long time.

I am very new to audio and everything is exciting and like a whole new world I am discovering.
I currently own a pair of the DT 770 pro 80Ω, as well as the Klipsch S4 earbuds.
My two main sources of audio all the time are my Macbook Pro and an iPod Classic 6th gen.

With the Beyers...I am not sure what I might be doing wrong, but there is some static from my laptop for like real bassy parts of songs; and my with my iPod I have to go almost max with the volume to get some good sound through my Beyers. 

Could I get some guidance on this? How can I rid myself of this static and "properly" drive the speakers?

Fiio E11 headphone amplifier, $65
Dac Destroyer, USB DAC, sells on eBay for $50-$60, only for use with Macbook Pro, not iPod.
The cheapest DAC to work with the iPod (and other portable apple products) is the HRT iStreamer, $150.

Aug 16, 2012 at 7:52 PM Post #4 of 7
AudioTrak Prodigy Cube is another good choice for a External Dac amp, it cost  $99 on ebay, or from Audiotrak webstore.

Aug 21, 2012 at 1:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Awesome guys. It all looks legit.

Thing is, I am very new to the amp scene and I don't understand what DAC is, having separate amps and such.

PurpleAngel said:

Dac Destroyer, USB DAC, sells on eBay for $50-$60, only for use with Macbook Pro, not iPod.
The cheapest DAC to work with the iPod (and other portable apple products) is the HRT iStreamer, $150.

Does this mean I should buy many (division of labor) or one "amp" (cheaper)? 

Aug 21, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Awesome guys. It all looks legit.

Thing is, I am very new to the amp scene and I don't understand what DAC is, having separate amps and such.

PurpleAngel said:

Does this mean I should buy many (division of labor) or one "amp" (cheaper)? 

Heya,

I would get a DAC/AMP all-in-one unit for your needs. You're using a laptop and an ipod. Both of these already have internal DAC's (digital to analog conversion). Both are already decent quality. What you need however is an amplifier for your Beyers. You actually don't even need a new DAC. However, if you want one to increase odds of quality and perhaps get off the potentially noisy analog jack of the laptop, a DAC/AMP combo unit that works via USB and also functions as a portable amplifier (for use with your ipod) would likely be ideal for you. So I would again suggest getting a single device that can do all of that. The Fiio E7 is a well price good start. The E17 is likely to be more recommended, but it costs nearly as much as your headphones. Alternative option: the iBasso D-ZERO

Very best,

Aug 23, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 7
Wow. I'm using the E7 with my computer right now with my beyer's, and it is really sweet. I can hear...everything. Like new stuff I haven't heard before as well. Truly a quality compact product, I am really impressed with how the soundstage has sort of "widened." Everything is spread out and in harmony, like a live band. Thanks a bunch, all 3 of you!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back