Beyerdynamic DT 235: better than Koss ProDJ100?
May 3, 2014 at 8:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

KlarkKentThe3rd

100+ Head-Fier
For about two weeks the Koss phones were on my wish list for portable use. And that's when (an hour ago) I found out about Beyerdynamic DT 235. From the looks of it, those just might be the model I was looking for, since BD seem to be one of the top manufacturers who KNOW THEIR S***.

But before I make the commitment and choose one of the two, I want some technical information. Are the earpads replaceable? Is the sound better than on ProDJ100? How long until the cable breaks (like with all the rest)?

May 7, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 7
I just picked up the DT235 while browsing a local shop with a headphone sale. It was never my intention to get an entry level headphone because I already have a Beyerdynamic T1.

I was hunting for a closed-back headphone for a while now and was looking at some usual suspects like the Alpha Dogs and Sennheiser Momentums. But I was not satisfied with both so I was still on the fence.

I was not aware of the existence of DT235 until I saw it on the headphone stand on sale. I was already trying several sub 100SGD phones on sale and I only need 10 seconds listening to those phone before I know there are not worth a penny.

But then when I tried the DT235, I can't believe a headphone sounding this good for it's retail price. Let alone on sale. I thought it was a mistake and had to ask the shop attendant to check. I didn't think twice I pick one up on 3 units left on sale and header to to cashier.

As for the earpads, yes it's replaceable it's easy to take off and I can see in Beyerdynamic's site the replacement pads.

I never heard of the Koss headphone. But for it's price and hifi-grade sound I think it's a steal.

May 7, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #5 of 7
The DT-235 is a really good headphone and sounds even better when modded.
Did you know that when you add HD-202 pads it actually is too bassy? You have to mod it further just to decrease it's bass.
You can convert it to being over-ear with HD-202/201 pads. I once even got some Memorex memory foam pads to fit.

I don't think it's better than the DJ100 or even close, but totally worth the $50. It's also easier to drive than the DJ100.

BTW I'm pretty sure it has the same driver as the old Sennheiser HD-497. That's also a bassy headphone since it's over-ear.

May 7, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #6 of 7
  The DT-235 is a really good headphone and sounds even better when modded.
Did you know that when you add HD-202 pads it actually is too bassy? You have to mod it further just to decrease it's bass.
You can convert it to being over-ear with HD-202/201 pads. I once even got some Memorex memory foam pads to fit.

I don't think it's better than the DJ100 or even close, but totally worth the $50. It's also easier to drive than the DJ100.

BTW I'm pretty sure it has the same driver as the old Sennheiser HD-497. That's also a bassy headphone since it's over-ear.

So, you can confirm that DJ100 sounds better? Are you absolutely sure?

May 7, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 7
I guess I'll just get DT-235, and when they break, buy something else. Maybe Koss or someone else will come up with a good neutral portable headphone with removable cord by that time.

Would that be a good strategy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back