Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Feb 23, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #3,841 of 4,801
I probably wouldn’t be constantly changing pads myself really, that’s why I’m just wondering if imaging quality goes down with those, I might just stick to analytical pads then if it’s major tbh.
beyerdynamic imaging is top tier for the price at lower levels, from experimenting with pads it doesn't effect it that much to use plushy leather pads I imagine pleather are similar but tradeoffs are always to be had so just try it for yourself is the real answer unless your lucky enough someone with first had experience can add something

wish you luck

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #3,842 of 4,801
How do the dekoni elite velours impact imaging quality? I’m going to be using this for comp gaming as well as music, so I wouldn’t want to make it worse. I just saw 2 people on Reddit talking about this, how you should change to analytical pads when gaming, and the other said that there’s less imaging and detail but everything else was a plus
Imaging still works great with elite velours i play cs with it and i can hear exactly the moment when opponents will step out the corner so i can pre fire

I like it more then analytic pads they sound too grainy for me

But keep in mind I'm a person that listens for the kick bass in steps not for the clap

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 12:21 PM Post #3,843 of 4,801
Imaging still works great with elite velours i play cs with it and i can hear exactly the moment when opponents will step out the corner so i can pre fire

I like it more then analytic pads they sound too grainy for me

But i keep in mind I'm a person that listens for the kick bass in steps not for the clap
Gotcha gotcha, but you wouldn’t say it’s worse at all than the A pads, or they’re the same maybe? Also another question with the foam mod everyone’s been doing, I install those onto my earcups (dekoni elite velour I’m planning on getting) or the actual headphones itself? I haven’t done any pad swaps ever, so I’m not sure where the foam placement is lol. Appreciate the reply !

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #3,844 of 4,801
Gotcha gotcha, but you wouldn’t say it’s worse at all than the A pads, or they’re the same maybe? Also another question with the foam mod everyone’s been doing, I install those onto my earcups (dekoni elite velour I’m planning on getting) or the actual headphones itself? I haven’t done any pad swaps ever, so I’m not sure where the foam placement is lol. Appreciate the reply !
No its not worse then the a pads for me at all

You install the foam disc on the headphone it self for me the amiron wireless foam disc have better imaging and a sense of space like the stock one and beyer intended it that way

I think i have to do a tutorial on the foam disc swap a lot of people aks me how to do it

Feb 23, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #3,845 of 4,801
By the way i have cheap beyerdynamic pads from aliexpress incoming angled ones as well maybe i can find some unknown diamonds

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:01 PM Post #3,846 of 4,801
No its not worse then the a pads for me at all

You install the foam disc on the headphone it self for me the amiron wireless foam disc have better imaging and a sense of space like the stock one and beyer intended it that way

I think i have to do a tutorial on the foam disc swap a lot of people aks me how to do it
Fs a tutorial would be a sweet, and 100% would help out a ton of people. Gonna see if I can pick them up soon. Was also wondering if you have the dt1990 balanced modded by chance ?

Feb 23, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #3,847 of 4,801
Fs a tutorial would be a sweet, and 100% would help out a ton of people. Gonna see if I can pick them up soon. Was also wondering if you have the dt1990 balanced modded by chance ?
No i didnt have them balanced but i moded my dt 770 and 990 to balanced

I ordered the rme adi 2 fs together with my dt 1990 and its a single ended dac amp so i dont benefit from a balanced mod.

Feb 23, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #3,848 of 4,801
Feb 23, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #3,849 of 4,801
@spookyshan The Dekoni pads do not affect the imaging at all, and is very good for position and direction. What makes a much bigger deal is what you are using for your HRTF encoding. Is this for PC or console? If PC, I welcome you to read this:

https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/chastitys-review-of-virtual-surround-solutions.436597/

The Dekoni pads also improve comfort a great deal, which is a plus for long gaming sessions.
I’m on pc, I already have a Valhalla 2 and modius with T.1 2nd Gen, but am making the switch the these I think. Also am possibly thinking of switching out Valhalla 2 with Jotunheim 2🤔

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #3,851 of 4,801
Could I ask why u went with that amp/dac for the dt1990?
Because it measure very clean has a good amount of single ended power and its tweakability i have different setting for music movies and games with different eq settings volume and crossfeed that i can switch with just a button

It also has a very small footprint compared to other high end dac amps looks sleek and has a nice analyzer display

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #3,852 of 4,801
20210224_111051.jpg
20210224_111040.jpg
i got the cheap ali express pads today they don't look that bad they are very soft not firm like the dekonis didn't tried them till now i will do it on the weekend im curious about the angled one

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #3,853 of 4,801
How do the dekoni elite velours impact imaging quality? I’m going to be using this for comp gaming as well as music, so I wouldn’t want to make it worse. I just saw 2 people on Reddit talking about this, how you should change to analytical pads when gaming, and the other said that there’s less imaging and detail but everything else was a plus
I've not noticed any difference in imaging quality. There's a *slight* softness that balances the sound in a way that's been all around pleasing, and the comfort has been HUGELY improved by the Elite Velours. Haven't even thought of switching back once I put them on.

Feb 25, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #3,854 of 4,801
When you order the Amiron Wireless foams, the price is for 1 pad. In the US, that's $3.50 a pad, so $7 for two. I ordered 4, and cost me $14. And I <3 how they internally refer to UPS Ground shipping as "PIRATE SHIP" on the invoice. :beyersmile:
Thank you very much for the clarification. And no problem, @Cevisi, you helped me a lot.

Is the same for the rings? I'm planning to buy rings to make easier to change between different pads. If you buy one item, you get just one ring and have to buy two items for different pads (one for "L" and another for "R").

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #3,855 of 4,801
Thank you very much for the clarification. And no problem, @Cevisi, you helped me a lot.

Is the same for the rings? I'm planning to buy rings to make easier to change between different pads. If you buy one item, you get just one ring and have to buy two items for different pads (one for "L" and another for "R").
No need to buy extra rings, I can swap pads now under a minute easy. In fact the Dekoni pads are easier than stock. Just practice and you'll develop some tricks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back