Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Apr 13, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #2,491 of 4,801
Sonarworks sounds interesting, especially with the free trial. Worth a look.

To be clear, I certainly did not complain of "muddy" bass.

muddy Ill-defined, congested.

I said that bass with the Balanced pads was plummy:

plummy (British) Fat, rich, lush-sounding.

I do not hear sibilance with the A pads, only with the B pads.

Sorry, didn't mean to project my thoughts onto you. Looking back, muddy was probably a poor choice of words. I had thought the balanced pad's mid-bass was 'muddy' in the sense that it dominates the sound and make other frequencies less distinct, completely changing the tone of some songs. I suspect that's why you prefer analytical pads, because that mid-bass region is pretty much flat on the analytical pads.

I personally think the 'sibilance' on the b pads is just too much treble quantity, which can be fixed with EQ. Compared to balanced pads, I'd say the analytical pads are relatively more veiled. But because this is due to the design of the earpads itself, this can't be fixed with EQ.

Apr 14, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #2,492 of 4,801
Im not talking about wolume. There is no dynamics, punch, bass with hugo 2 amp.
Beyerdynamic amps sound a lot better.
I disagree.
I’ve used the 1990’s with both a Hugo, and a Hugo TT, and there’s plenty of punch and bass with both.
But everyone to their own I suppose!

Apr 21, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #2,493 of 4,801
@audiobomber, Thanks for the quick reply and good details.

I don't think you listened to an LCD-3 or LCD-3f since they have never been offered on MassDrop IIRC and would have been the most expensive of the bunch ($1500+). Agree that they are large, clunky and heavy.

The HE350 is a MassDrop variant but its not a planar driver but the ear pads are about the same size as the Sundara so I can see the opening in the ear pad being a bit on the smaller side for some.

I can see some not liking the bass of the HD6XX but I've found that it takes a decent amp (most like OTL amps) to bring the bass of the HD6XX/HD650 under control so for those that don't want to invest in a decent amp for the HD6XX/HD650 I usually suggest the HD660S or the HD58X (just got a pair) since they are fairly close in sound but don't need an amp to drive them and sound quite good with SS or even phones/DAPs.

Hi DavidA. Clearly you have a lot of expertise with headphones. I am a long term audiophile, but have had little interest in headphones until recently. First of all, let me apologize for claiming that I had heard Audeze headphones. The headphones I was loaned were in fact Monoprice Monolith M1060's. In my defence, my friend called, and still calls, his headphones Audeze, even though we recently discussed the fact that they were Monoprice, not Audeze. In the same vein, my friend told me his HE-350's have planar drivers. You are of course correct, they are dynamic drivers.

Regarding the HD 6XX, I had a chance to hear them with a Bottlehead Crack and I am impressed. I see now why people like them. I would be quite happy to live with this combo.

May 20, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #2,494 of 4,801
Just felt like bumping up the thread. Listening to some Allman Brothers tonight and loving how the 1990 handles it. Was going with some Fostex earlier, and it's really like a different world with the Beyers. So much clarity, love being able to pick out the two drummers jamming out. I have really thinned out my collection over the past year, but these are never going out the door.

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:14 AM Post #2,498 of 4,801
Fantastic headphone and one of the end game headphones !

Pair it with a high quality amp with a high quality recording and you’re in heaven !
Absolutely agree.
IMO they’re better (and much more versatile) than Beyer’s T1.2, and are my ‘go to’ cans for almost all genres.
They are only bested by HD800’s for classical. But for almost everything else, the 1990’s ROCK!

Jun 22, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #2,499 of 4,801
Absolutely agree.
IMO they’re better (and much more versatile) than Beyer’s T1.2, and are my ‘go to’ cans for almost all genres.
They are only bested by HD800’s for classical. But for almost everything else, the 1990’s ROCK!
They certainly do, and also lots of different amps, I have two tube amps, Feliks Audio Elise and Euforia plus a recently bought Schiit Jotunheim, which it also pairs very well with :beyersmile:.
20190529_143600[2300].jpg

Jun 22, 2019 at 5:08 PM Post #2,501 of 4,801
How you cope with Analytical pads? Sound was super crystal clear with them but treble was too much, id say it was even more to my ears than stock HD800 treble.

Swapped to balanced pads and it really took the worst edge off and now these work well for me and sound is "balanced" as pads were named.

Jun 22, 2019 at 9:17 PM Post #2,502 of 4,801
How you cope with Analytical pads? Sound was super crystal clear with them but treble was too much, id say it was even more to my ears than stock HD800 treble.

Swapped to balanced pads and it really took the worst edge off and now these work well for me and sound is "balanced" as pads were named.
Not to sound like a jerk, but you answered your own question. I too feel the analytical pads are too much, and have been using the balanced almost from the very beginning. I only swapped back & forth when I first bought them.

Jun 23, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #2,504 of 4,801
I am very close to pulling the trigger.
I do have some preservations in that the treble seems to be so divisive - even among reviewers I have come to trust.
I’ve written it off several times before simply by looking at the frequency response that displays the usual upper mids dip right before the infamous peak Beyer.
Yet folks I know to be rather sensitive to these things claim that it’s the least treble happy of the Beyers they’ve tried. On the other hand I’ve come across the exact opposite just as many times:p

Oh well even if I have changed my preferences for the slightly warmer, I still dig listening to the likes of Q701 and the HD700. My guess is that the more even and linear bass response of the Beyer will make it more balanced sounding, when I’m in the mood for a brilliantly recorded album and a headphone to match it’s detail.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back