1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by xero1, Jul 19, 2016.
First

Back
157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166
168 169 170 171 172 173 174
Next

Last
  1. WildStyle-R11
    Oppo HA-1 Can drive the DT1990 to clinical annoyance. Regardless of pads.

2. willham
    Sorry, didn't mean to project my thoughts onto you. Looking back, muddy was probably a poor choice of words. I had thought the balanced pad's mid-bass was 'muddy' in the sense that it dominates the sound and make other frequencies less distinct, completely changing the tone of some songs. I suspect that's why you prefer analytical pads, because that mid-bass region is pretty much flat on the analytical pads.

I personally think the 'sibilance' on the b pads is just too much treble quantity, which can be fixed with EQ. Compared to balanced pads, I'd say the analytical pads are relatively more veiled. But because this is due to the design of the earpads itself, this can't be fixed with EQ.

3. kelly200269
    I disagree.
    I’ve used the 1990’s with both a Hugo, and a Hugo TT, and there’s plenty of punch and bass with both.
    But everyone to their own I suppose!

4. audiobomber
    Hi DavidA. Clearly you have a lot of expertise with headphones. I am a long term audiophile, but have had little interest in headphones until recently. First of all, let me apologize for claiming that I had heard Audeze headphones. The headphones I was loaned were in fact Monoprice Monolith M1060's. In my defence, my friend called, and still calls, his headphones Audeze, even though we recently discussed the fact that they were Monoprice, not Audeze. In the same vein, my friend told me his HE-350's have planar drivers. You are of course correct, they are dynamic drivers.

Regarding the HD 6XX, I had a chance to hear them with a Bottlehead Crack and I am impressed. I see now why people like them. I would be quite happy to live with this combo.

DavidA likes this.
  5. George Taylor
    Just felt like bumping up the thread. Listening to some Allman Brothers tonight and loving how the 1990 handles it. Was going with some Fostex earlier, and it's really like a different world with the Beyers. So much clarity, love being able to pick out the two drummers jamming out. I have really thinned out my collection over the past year, but these are never going out the door.

kelly200269, Scutey and cardeli22 like this.
  6. Spareribs
    Fantastic headphone and one of the end game headphones !

Pair it with a high quality amp with a high quality recording and you’re in heaven !

7. Scutey
    You're absolutely right, I use mine with a Feliks Elise and Euforia tube amps, and they sound spectacular.

cardeli22 likes this.
  8. kith86
    I just bought this from my local retailer, the warranty is only 1 year, but on beyer website, it's said 2 year, which one true ?

9. kelly200269
    Absolutely agree.
    IMO they’re better (and much more versatile) than Beyer’s T1.2, and are my ‘go to’ cans for almost all genres.
    They are only bested by HD800’s for classical. But for almost everything else, the 1990’s ROCK!

cardeli22 and Scutey like this.
  10. Scutey
    They certainly do, and also lots of different amps, I have two tube amps, Feliks Audio Elise and Euforia plus a recently bought Schiit Jotunheim, which it also pairs very well with :beyersmile:.
    20190529_143600[2300].jpg

kelly200269 and cardeli22 like this.
  11. CycleMotion
    My absolute endgame even after 1 year, nothing is so exciting and prettier.

kelly200269, Hyp0xia and cardeli22 like this.
  12. r343
    How you cope with Analytical pads? Sound was super crystal clear with them but treble was too much, id say it was even more to my ears than stock HD800 treble.

Swapped to balanced pads and it really took the worst edge off and now these work well for me and sound is "balanced" as pads were named.

13. George Taylor
    Not to sound like a jerk, but you answered your own question. I too feel the analytical pads are too much, and have been using the balanced almost from the very beginning. I only swapped back & forth when I first bought them.

14. natalieann
    I agree. I have been in this game for sometime and to my ears these have the most perfect presentation. I sold multiple pairs of twice the price point and just roll with these

CycleMotion and Hyp0xia like this.
  15. Kammerat Rebekka
    I am very close to pulling the trigger.
    I do have some preservations in that the treble seems to be so divisive - even among reviewers I have come to trust.
    I’ve written it off several times before simply by looking at the frequency response that displays the usual upper mids dip right before the infamous peak Beyer.
    Yet folks I know to be rather sensitive to these things claim that it’s the least treble happy of the Beyers they’ve tried. On the other hand I’ve come across the exact opposite just as many times:p

Oh well even if I have changed my preferences for the slightly warmer, I still dig listening to the likes of Q701 and the HD700. My guess is that the more even and linear bass response of the Beyer will make it more balanced sounding, when I’m in the mood for a brilliantly recorded album and a headphone to match it’s detail.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
First

Back
157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166
168 169 170 171 172 173 174
Next

Last