Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #2,461 of 4,782
The Amiron Home is a better upgrade to the DT 990 than the DT 1990 imho. The DT 990 and DT 1990 sound quite different, especially in the midrange, it's more upfront on the DT 1990, though with the analytical pads I would say they become more similar. The Amiron Homes more laid-back midrange presentation is more akin to that of the DT 990, it's a bit warmer and darker but definitely higher fidelity, the treble on Teslas is a nice improvement, the sharpness is reduced, it has less grain, and the imaging is more precise and they resolve more detail, I also find them notably less fatiguing. I also find there is a musicality to the DT 1990 and Amiron Home I don't get with the DT 990 or DT 880. The mids are more present and dynamic on both the Amiron Home and DT 1990.
Oh damn..see I've been looking at upgrading from a DT880 to a DT1990 and for some reason I just assumed the Amiron Home was some sort of gaming headset or soemthing so I haven't even looked at product info on one...But now that I am I'm very intrigued. How are the two models different? Are they both tesla drivers? The product page on Amazon has it listed as 40ohm up top but then down deeper into the product info it has it listed at 250ohm..which is it?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #2,462 of 4,782
Oh damn..see I've been looking at upgrading from a DT880 to a DT1990 and for some reason I just assumed the Amirson Home was some sort of gaming headset or soemthing so I haven't even looked at product info on one...But now that I am I'm very intrigued. How are the two models different? Are they both tesla drivers?

The Amiron Home is a more audiophile oriented model, it uses Tesla 2.0 drivers just like the DT 1990 and DT 1770. The drivers look identical even and can be swapped, but they are tuned different so I wouldn't say exactly the same drivers. The physical differences is that the Amiron Home has a dual-entry cable like the T1.2 and it's fit and finish is quite different. Sound signature wise, the Amiron Home is a more relaxed listen, it does have a little more treble extension but at the same time is less sharp sounding than the DT 1990. Think of it as a DT 1990 with analytical pads with a hint of HD 6xx sprinkled on top but a wider soundstage than either. The DT 1990 is more akin to shove detail in your face, the Amiron is more relaxed with it.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #2,463 of 4,782
I had the two year experience over the course of 2 weeks. I really tried to like them. The 1990s are gorgeous headphones, their box even more. But that treble energy and presence that peaked every few seconds bothered me.

I ended up returning them pretty soon after. I never appreciated my hd 600 more than when I had the 1990.

And now I might be going into a similar situation, with the Elex. I keep hearing contradictions between “silky smooth non fatiguing treble” all the way to “sounds just like the 1990 treble peaks at 5k, painful and fatiguing.”
I also have these two headphones and I think I have the exact same feeling with you. Out of the two I even though 1990 is better, cos even though it has a higher 8kHz peak, I know for sure it’s the 8kHz peak; but with Elex I can’t be sure whether it’s the 6kHz peak or the 8kHz peak that annoys me more. I find it really hard to believe that they’re advertised as something like “super HD600” or even “super HD650”; honestly I never liked my HD6XX much until I had the Elex.

Mar 15, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #2,465 of 4,782
DT1990 is more like an upgrade to DT880.
Well in that case the DT1990 is a definite no go for me then. Not that I don't value the DT880, but it was far too treble oriented for me to like it much. I am looking for a headphone that has as close as possible sound signature to the DT990, but with higher fidelity. It seems that the Amiron Home may be the best choice. Having said that, I might still just get another DT990, lol. I'm still deciding.

Mar 15, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #2,466 of 4,782
Oh damn..see I've been looking at upgrading from a DT880 to a DT1990 and for some reason I just assumed the Amiron Home was some sort of gaming headset or soemthing so I haven't even looked at product info on one...But now that I am I'm very intrigued. How are the two models different? Are they both tesla drivers? The product page on Amazon has it listed as 40ohm up top but then down deeper into the product info it has it listed at 250ohm..which is it?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/pro...-1990-pro-vs-beyerdynamic-amiron-home.838972/

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #2,467 of 4,782
Well in that case the DT1990 is a definite no go for me then. Not that I don't value the DT880, but it was far too treble oriented for me to like it much. I am looking for a headphone that has as close as possible sound signature to the DT990, but with higher fidelity. It seems that the Amiron Home may be the best choice. Having said that, I might still just get another DT990, lol. I'm still deciding.

DT 990 is more treble dominant than DT 880, the 990 was just more V shaped. The DT 1990 with A pads are closer to DT 880 just enhanced and more mid bass. While B pads more toward DT 990, less mids making the bass and treble sounding more.

Had the DT 1990 Pro since launch and its still having alot of uptime for me, prefer the A pads by a long shot. Good neutrality with some elevated mid bass, good for listening and studio work.
Also get a good tube amp, changed the DT 1990 as a work tool to become my listening friend also.

DT1990ECHO.jpg

Mar 15, 2019 at 1:45 PM Post #2,468 of 4,782
DT 990 is more treble dominant than DT 880, the 990 was just more V shaped. The DT 1990 with A pads are closer to DT 880 just enhanced and more mid bass. While B pads more toward DT 990, less mids making the bass and treble sounding more.

Had the DT 1990 Pro since launch and its still having alot of uptime for me, prefer the A pads by a long shot. Good neutrality with some elevated mid bass, good for listening and studio work.
Also get a good tube amp, changed the DT 1990 as a work tool to become my listening friend also.

Thanks for your advice and impressions. The DT1990 has certainly appealed to me, not just curious about it's sound but also because 1990 is the year I was born, lol.
I expect the DT1990 and DT1770 will be around/ in production for a very long time (20 to 30 years perhaps?) so it would certainly be a good future proof purchase. Ah decisions, decisions!
Thanks.

Mar 22, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #2,469 of 4,782

How does the Feliks Echo pair with the DT 1990? I was thinking of buying this exact combination. Does it do anything to the vocals? I kinda want it to be thicker and more forward when I'm listening for fun.

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #2,470 of 4,782
How does the Feliks Echo pair with the DT 1990? I was thinking of buying this exact combination. Does it do anything to the vocals? I kinda want it to be thicker and more forward when I'm listening for fun.
I find it as a good pairing, but I find the DT1990 good on most amps. Tube amps in general in known to be good pairings with high impedance cans like most Beyerdynamic models.

Find it hard to describe the sound, going from my very neutral Audio interface to this the beyers sound more solid on the Echo. Vocals being a little more forward, bass almost the same just a a little flavour more to it. And highs detailed still, but lessened sligthly. Basically making them less tiering and more enjoyable.

I have used them much more for straight music listening after getting Feliks Ausio Echo, this is not the most tubey/dark amp out there. It gives the flavor of tubes but not to much.

Mar 22, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #2,471 of 4,782
That sounds like an interesting combination. I've got bass covered with Oratory1990's EQ profile but I still found vocals lacking girth and I can't seem to fix it with EQ (A pads) , especially bad is the blurriness between the lower male vocals and and upper sub bass. Do the tube give a holographic feel relative to solid states? I'm mostly looking for that sound signature as I think it might help with separation.

Mar 22, 2019 at 6:20 PM Post #2,472 of 4,782
Not sure really, the DT1990 isnt the widest and deepest headphone out there and not much changes from a ss to a tube amp. Might be that what you lack and want is a phone with more mids, or get that Echo amp it makes the dt1990 fuller sounding. Find it hard to explain with words changes going from that to that, aslong as it gives me a better listening experience im happy. And the Feliks Audio Echo did just that for me =)

Mar 24, 2019 at 10:02 PM Post #2,474 of 4,782
I've done a lot of tweaking in my headphone system recently, which led me to change from Analytical, which I've used for several months, to Balanced pads. Clearly tonal balance preference is system dependent. Current setup:

Dell Inspiron 7000, Audiogate4 software, upsampling to 5.6MHz
Ifi Audio iDefender, iPurifier2 & modified iPower 5V SMPS
Belkin USB 3.0 cable
Korg DS-DAC-10R, Cardas Neutral Reference interconnect
Schiit Asgard 2 headphone amp
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro headphones (Balanced pads)

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2019 at 11:37 AM Post #2,475 of 4,782
I prefer the Analytical pads on my questyle, while I prefer balanced with my tube. Also the B pads are deeper since they don't compress as much.

Don't have the ifi iPurifier, but have the Ifi Audio idefender.
Wonderful piece of kit, made my USB port completely silent and removed my ground loops.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back