Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Mar 6, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #2,446 of 4,785
I would like to post a photo of my DT1990 Pros plugged into my RME ADI-2 DAC. but i dont have a photo on me. perhaps later today :wink:
German cans + german source = german fun! lol

Mar 6, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #2,448 of 4,785
Nice set up! Is that an off the shelf cable or something made up?

The cable plugged in is the stock LCD2C cable, the one in the DT1990 Is a DIY one.

Mar 9, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #2,449 of 4,785
I've joined the train! Just ordered a used pair. Currently using my 5.1 stereo amplifier and a xoanr u7 sound card. Although my bank account is a bit empty right now, what amps/dacs should I be looking out for? Is a o2 enough? I am also looking at getting a little dot mk2. It would be awesome if anyone with the amps mentioned could test the paring and report back how they synergize. Additionally, does upgrading my dac have a greater benefit now since the dt1990's are 'good enough' to hear dac changes

Mar 11, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #2,450 of 4,785
I've joined the train! Just ordered a used pair. Currently using my 5.1 stereo amplifier and a xoanr u7 sound card. Although my bank account is a bit empty right now, what amps/dacs should I be looking out for? Is a o2 enough? I am also looking at getting a little dot mk2. It would be awesome if anyone with the amps mentioned could test the paring and report back how they synergize. Additionally, does upgrading my dac have a greater benefit now since the dt1990's are 'good enough' to hear dac changes

I’m using O2 and it’s plenty enough for DT, I used Meridian Explorer2 DAC with it and I was very satisfied with that combination, now I’m using Astell&Kern AK70 in DAC function and results are great because it’s smooth sounding which DT favors very much.

Mar 11, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #2,451 of 4,785

Tube amps pair very well. I solely use mine with the BH Crack, not tried it with anything else, don't feel the need to.

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #2,453 of 4,785
I upgraded my DAC to the RME ADI-2 DAC and i can tell you with confidence, the DT1990 Pro does scale and change in sound with better or different equipment. I would use the DT1990 Pro as a determinant to what kind of sound you're looking to achieve as they have such a revealing quality to them.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #2,454 of 4,785
Hi all. This is my first post on this website. I recently purchased the DT 1990 Pro and they're my second pair of hi-fi headphones after the HD6XX. I'm powering them with a Burson Soloist SL MKII.

So far I'm fairly happy with them. The detail and precision of these cans is phenomenal. I keep switching back to my 6XXs, as well as making reference to some of my IEMs, and everything except the 1990s lacks a certain fidelity.The highs on these sound amazing, though like many others, I've grown a bit annoyed by them at times. I think I may switch to the 6XXs against my will for music which is too bright. I miss the fantastic soundstage and imaging the 1990s offer which my Sennheisers don't though :frowning2:

Mar 14, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #2,455 of 4,785
Hi all. This is my first post on this website. I recently purchased the DT 1990 Pro and they're my second pair of hi-fi headphones after the HD6XX. I'm powering them with a Burson Soloist SL MKII.

So far I'm fairly happy with them. The detail and precision of these cans is phenomenal. I keep switching back to my 6XXs, as well as making reference to some of my IEMs, and everything except the 1990s lacks a certain fidelity.The highs on these sound amazing, though like many others, I've grown a bit annoyed by them at times. I think I may switch to the 6XXs against my will for music which is too bright. I miss the fantastic soundstage and imaging the 1990s offer which my Sennheisers don't though :frowning2:
This is the conundrum, the DT1990 Pros are made for studio use, to master and edit sound with.
the HD6XX are made for casual use and music listening.

You have to decide which one you would rather enjoy, also keep in mind the DT1990 Pros do come with an alternative set of pads. have you tried them? they may ease the highs allowing you to enjoy it more.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #2,456 of 4,785
This is the conundrum, the DT1990 Pros are made for studio use, to master and edit sound with.
the HD6XX are made for casual use and music listening.

You have to decide which one you would rather enjoy, also keep in mind the DT1990 Pros do come with an alternative set of pads. have you tried them? they may ease the highs allowing you to enjoy it more.
I've switched between the A and B pads multiple times and have decided to stick with the A pads. On the B pads I found the bass to be too thick and slightly muddy. The midrange tonality felt a bit off with them also since they cause the headphones to be slightly V-shaped. The A pads make the music sound crystal clear through the entire spectrum anyways.

The more time I spend with these cans, the more I get used to their brightness and the more comfortable and happy I am with their sound. Perhaps for me it's just a matter of getting used to them when coming from a warmer headphone.

Mar 14, 2019 at 9:58 PM Post #2,457 of 4,785
I've switched between the A and B pads multiple times and have decided to stick with the A pads. On the B pads I found the bass to be too thick and slightly muddy. The midrange tonality felt a bit off with them also since they cause the headphones to be slightly V-shaped. The A pads make the music sound crystal clear through the entire spectrum anyways.

The more time I spend with these cans, the more I get used to their brightness and the more comfortable and happy I am with their sound. Perhaps for me it's just a matter of getting used to them when coming from a warmer headphone.

After spending time with both the analytical and balanced pads, I do find the tonality a bit off with the balanced too. It definitely improves with the analytical pads, though I do find it's siblings the Amiron Home and the T1.2 do have better overall midrange tonality than the DT 1990 with either pads as the DT 1990 mids seem slightly off in direct comparison.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:03 PM Post #2,458 of 4,785
Does anyone know how the DT1990 compares to the DT990? is the DT1990 a big upgrade from the DT990?
I'm just curious to know because I liked the DT990 but if the DT1990 is even better, I might get one.

Mar 14, 2019 at 10:10 PM Post #2,459 of 4,785
Does anyone know how the DT1990 compares to the DT990? is the DT1990 a big upgrade from the DT990?
I'm just curious to know because I liked the DT990 but if the DT1990 is even better, I might get one.

The Amiron Home is a better upgrade to the DT 990 than the DT 1990 imho. The DT 990 and DT 1990 sound quite different, especially in the midrange, it's more upfront on the DT 1990, though with the analytical pads I would say they become more similar. The Amiron Homes more laid-back midrange presentation is more akin to that of the DT 990, it's a bit warmer and darker but definitely higher fidelity, the treble on Teslas is a nice improvement, the sharpness is reduced, it has less grain, and the imaging is more precise and they resolve more detail, I also find them notably less fatiguing. I also find there is a musicality to the DT 1990 and Amiron Home I don't get with the DT 990 or DT 880. The mids are more present and dynamic on both the Amiron Home and DT 1990.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #2,460 of 4,785
The Amiron Home is a better upgrade to the DT 990 than the DT 1990 imho. The DT 990 and DT 1990 sound quite different, especially in the midrange, it's more upfront on the DT 1990, though with the analytical pads I would say they become more similar. The Amiron Homes more laid-back midrange presentation is more akin to that of the DT 990, it's a bit warmer and darker but definitely higher fidelity, the treble on Teslas is a nice improvement, the sharpness is reduced, it has less grain, and the imaging is more precise and they resolve more detail, I also find them notably less fatiguing. I also find there is a musicality to the DT 1990 and Amiron Home I don't get with the DT 990 or DT 880. The mids are more present and dynamic on both the Amiron Home and DT 1990.

Okay, the Amiron Home seems like a better choice for what i'm looking for then, thank you for your response.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back