Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jun 23, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #2,506 of 4,790
How you cope with Analytical pads? Sound was super crystal clear with them but treble was too much, id say it was even more to my ears than stock HD800 treble.
Swapped to balanced pads and it really took the worst edge off and now these work well for me and sound is "balanced" as pads were named.

That is not my experience at all. I've switched back and forth several times over the past year and always come back to Analytical. I find the Balanced pads more V-shaped, with boosted bass but also peakier treble. Some recordings are sibilant with the Balanced pads, not with the Analytical pads. Midbass is overly warm with Balanced pads, which many people prefer. For me, even with Analytical pads, the DT 1990 sometimes seem slightly too warm, but then my other main headphones are Grado GH4's. I love the sound of both headphones and find them very complementary.

People have different preferences, different hearing and different partnering gear, which is why it's awesome that Beyerdynamic supplies two very different sounding sets of ear pads.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,507 of 4,790
How you cope with Analytical pads? Sound was super crystal clear with them but treble was too much, id say it was even more to my ears than stock HD800 treble.

Swapped to balanced pads and it really took the worst edge off and now these work well for me and sound is "balanced" as pads were named.
Honestly, I can't understand how people cope with the Balanced pads. I tried those, and everything just sounded muddy and overbearing to me. I'd like a tad more bass with the Analytical pads, but I switched back to the Balanced pads a couple times, and they were literally the worst sounding headphones *to my ears, based on my preferences* I'd heard since getting into this hobby.

Now, I know the above could come off sounding rude/sassy/snarky, but I don't mean it that way at all. Read it as flat as possible, as my point really is just that I guess my preferences and ears differ from others, because I think I prefer more high end and when the low end gets too strong, I must interpret that as taking up too much of the sound signature, for my preference.

I kind of wish I could get some spare Analytical pads and punch a few more holes in the back just to see if I could up the bass just a bit more and get something in between the two sets of pads (though more towards the Analytical pads). :)

Jun 23, 2019 at 3:36 PM Post #2,508 of 4,790
Honestly, I can't understand how people cope with the Balanced pads. I tried those, and everything just sounded muddy and overbearing to me. I'd like a tad more bass with the Analytical pads, but I switched back to the Balanced pads a couple times, and they were literally the worst sounding headphones *to my ears, based on my preferences* I'd heard since getting into this hobby.

Now, I know the above could come off sounding rude/sassy/snarky, but I don't mean it that way at all. Read it as flat as possible, as my point really is just that I guess my preferences and ears differ from others, because I think I prefer more high end and when the low end gets too strong, I must interpret that as taking up too much of the sound signature, for my preference.

I kind of wish I could get some spare Analytical pads and punch a few more holes in the back just to see if I could up the bass just a bit more and get something in between the two sets of pads (though more towards the Analytical pads). :)
i think its partly my amp/dac combination (Essence One Muses) which leans bit to the brighter/airier sound with less quantity of bass that makes Balanced pads better match.

Jun 23, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #2,510 of 4,790
i think its partly my amp/dac combination (Essence One Muses) which leans bit to the brighter/airier sound with less quantity of bass that makes Balanced pads better match.
I've been using the balanced pads for months, and enjoying them. But the recent few posts have made me dig out the analytical pads to give them a go again. And I have to admit, it's quite a eye opener. I can honestly say, I had forgotten the difference. I have the next week off before starting a new job, think I'll be investigating my music library again to see what I think before I switch them out again. If I do.

Jun 24, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #2,511 of 4,790

... it might be an alternative to close some holes of the Balanced pads with isolation tape.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #2,512 of 4,790
... it might be an alternative to close some holes of the Balanced pads with isolation tape.
Ha. Yeah. I didn't think of that... I may have to experiment with that. Honestly, I dread dealing with swapping out the pads due to how they have to be installed, but I'll look for some isolation tape and then try to force myself to do that work. :D

Jun 24, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #2,513 of 4,790
anyone using these in gaming? just wondered how they are, i have the DT990s... a lot
better than the DT990s ?
thanks.
and if anyone has compared them to the T90s, gaming wise

Jul 7, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #2,514 of 4,790
beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro Measurements:
(MiniDSP EARS. Purr1n's compensation. 500Hz 84dB normalized. 1/12 smoothing)

Analytical Pads
DT 1990 Pro.jpg

Balanced Pads: (coming soon)

With Solderdude's passive filter: (coming soon.. I'm really hoping this fixes the Mt. Beyer)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #2,515 of 4,790
Yeah. I'm just rocking an Audio-gd r2r11, which isn't the fanciest or as nice as many others people have here
Those more "compact" audio-gd units sport weak headamps. The bigger, bulkier amps are the way to go with audio-gd gear, at least the DAC sections of those smaller combo units are very nice.

Jul 7, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #2,516 of 4,790
I'm really hoping this fixes the Mt. Beyer)
No need for a fix IMO. Phones with flat frequency response sound boring. The DT 1990 with Analytical pads sounds good with all music, and remarkably decent with any amp. A true all-rounder.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #2,518 of 4,790
Which Beyers in yall's opinion has the most relaxed treble?

I have the DT-770, had the DT-1990 and own the T1 gen 1 high serial number. And I say, the T1 has the better treble, DT-1990 were screeching even with balanced pads, DT-770 are..."metallic"? Shrill, T1 buttery smooth, mega detailed, but I don't feel like they're screaming on my ear like the DT-1990 or feel like the sound is coming from a tin can like on the DT-770. Not to try to diminish the other Beyers, but the T1 just clicks with my current gear and tastes.

Jul 9, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #2,519 of 4,790
Which Beyers in yall's opinion has the most relaxed treble?
Every one of the Tesla models has the huge peak in treble.
For a ‘relaxed treble’ you need to visit their older models like the DT100, DT150 and the DT250:)

Edith: You can add the DT1350 as well as the DT240 to the equation...but yeah seems like Beyer only makes closedback that omit the infamous mountain.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2019 at 1:46 AM Post #2,520 of 4,790
No need for a fix IMO. Phones with flat frequency response sound boring. The DT 1990 with Analytical pads sounds good with all music, and remarkably decent with any amp. A true all-rounder.
The 8kHz peak makes the DT 1990 Pro unbearable to listen to at times. One such example is the track Michael Buble ft. Cecile McLorin Savant - La Vie en Rose. I've been interested in Solderdude's Kameleon Amp for a long time but I was too lazy to switch Amp and Modules between headphones. I'm hoping his new filters will work just as well and I can just keep the attenuator cable plugged onto the stock cable.

Here's Solderdude's website if you are looking for more information regarding the passive filters:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/passive-filters/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back