Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Feb 27, 2019 at 4:30 AM Post #2,431 of 4,777
Disclaimer: New to Head Fi, but I felt compelled to make an account and give my option about the Dt 1990 with the B Pads.

The Bass has the right amount and weight. More present than my Hd 600.

I really can’t describe mids well enough, I’m very used to Hd 600 mids, but they sounded fairly similar.

But the real reason I’m here is to describe the highs. They are incredibly bright. So much so that I loved them at first. Then the pain started setting in. And I started to heart the sibilance.

In my opinion, the dt 1990 are perfect for people who love treble. I guess I’m not one of them.
I think there needs to be the distinction made between 'bright', and 'sibilant'. Yes, I would agree that the 1990's are quite 'bright', with a prominence in the higher-range frequencies, but they are not in themselves sibilant. If you're finding the 1990's sibilant, then this indicates issues with your source/amplification.
But I agree that the 1990's aren't for everyone, and they do have a 'spike' in the upper-range frequencies.

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #2,432 of 4,777
Another option to smooth out the treble on the DT 1990 is by using a different cable. I had a cable made from Mogami 2549 and it’s made them sound more linear with more midrange clarity. Mogami 2534 are even more tubey sounding (the favourite of my local hifi shop) as they have a noticeable treble roll off and a more black background due to greater interference rejection (quad cable). Just having this in the signal path between a source and an amp (even solid state) can make quite a difference.

I use mine with a Creek 5350SE headphone out which just seems to like Beyers (I’ve tried a GS diamond and a Burson HA-160 and keep going back to the Creek).

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #2,433 of 4,777
I think there needs to be the distinction made between 'bright', and 'sibilant'. Yes, I would agree that the 1990's are quite 'bright', with a prominence in the higher-range frequencies, but they are not in themselves sibilant. If you're finding the 1990's sibilant, then this indicates issues with your source/amplification.
But I agree that the 1990's aren't for everyone, and they do have a 'spike' in the upper-range frequencies.
Please, let's not embark on this conversation again. A few months ago there was a tête-à-tête about this subject, and it turned into a pages long tit-for-tat. "It is sibilant!" "No, it's not sibilant!" "You're sibilant!" "Your mom is sibilant!"
Some people are going to hear the DT 1990 as sibilant, some people are not. If you've got a sensitivity to treble, especially in the 8kHz region, then caution should be taken.

Feb 27, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #2,434 of 4,777
Please, let's not embark on this conversation again. A few months ago there was a tête-à-tête about this subject, and it turned into a pages long tit-for-tat. "It is sibilant!" "No, it's not sibilant!" "You're sibilant!" "Your mom is sibilant!"
Some people are going to hear the DT 1990 as sibilant, some people are not. If you've got a sensitivity to treble, especially in the 8kHz region, then caution should be taken.
If 'your mom is sibilant', then I suggest you keep it to yourself! :ksc75smile:

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:36 AM Post #2,435 of 4,777
It also depends on what player you use and also the songs.
I found 1990 sibilant on some songs when paired with a Burson Conductor Air. This one has a very dinamic but kind of V shape sound.
However on some other devices I don't found it sibilant at all. Just great. These includes also another Burson product - Play - with V6 Classics in I/V and V6 Vivids in LPF and Gain..
A full V6 Vivids Play might be sibilant too I presume - same V shape sound as Air.

Feb 28, 2019 at 6:28 AM Post #2,436 of 4,777
I use my DT1990 Pro with my RME ADI-2 DAC and Foobar2000. its sublime to me when listening to my music not fatiguing at all. in fact, ive listened to hours and hours non-stop sometimes and even on super rare occasion have fallen asleep at my desk due to the music being amazing.

Feb 28, 2019 at 10:47 AM Post #2,437 of 4,777
It also depends on what player you use and also the songs.
I found 1990 sibilant on some songs when paired with a Burson Conductor Air. This one has a very dinamic but kind of V shape sound.
However on some other devices I don't found it sibilant at all. Just great. These includes also another Burson product - Play - with V6 Classics in I/V and V6 Vivids in LPF and Gain..
A full V6 Vivids Play might be sibilant too I presume - same V shape sound as Air.
Well, yes, some gear/tracks/etc. are going to emphasize the 8kHz peak. That should (but doesn't always) go without saying.

My point was that the DT 1990 isn't inherently sibilant or not-sibilant* and we shouldn't engage in conversation that assumes that it is. There is a contingent that believe the DT 1990 is sibilant, and a contingent that believes that it isn't. Both are correct because both contingents have their own experience, but you can't say that only one is correct because that disregards the other's experience. Such conversation just leads to a back and forth of "I'm right and you're wrong," which is boring for people in the know, confusing for neophytes, and unconstructive for everybody. The best we can do is to discuss our experiences as experiences, not as hard truths.

*Really, this goes for any piece of properly functioning gear or opinion:
"The HD 650's bass is woolly" vs. "No it isn't"
"X amplifier is bloomy" vs. "no it isn't"
"megabigeye is a pretentious, didactic blowhard" vs. "yeah, kinda he is."

Feb 28, 2019 at 11:43 AM Post #2,438 of 4,777
DT 1990 Pro are really great at presenting EDM and string instrument. However, I found some flaws when listening to orchestra. Under the analytical pad, the treble is weaker and thus losses airy tone and some strings' harmonic waves. The reverberation is also weaker in the analytical pad. While under the balanced pad, the low-end bass from cellos and timpani is easily overwhelmed by treble.

To get a balanced between the two different kind of earpads, I tried to close a few holes of the balanced pad with 3M magic tapes. I found the sound more preferable around 13 holes left, with losing little airy sound and gaining moderate bass.

IMO, if you like the tone of this amazing can but aren't fulfilled with the pads, give the modding a try.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2019 at 1:31 PM Post #2,439 of 4,777
Has anybody attempted to take out the Mini XLR jack on these? Is it possible? I have a client who would like to swap the mini XLR for a 3.5mm to use with a Vmoda mic, but I'm just not sure if it's possible. He's trying it on the 1770, but I imagine the assembly is the same, this thread is just much more active.

Feb 28, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #2,440 of 4,777
The other day somebody posted about swapping the 3-pin mini-XLR for a 4-pin, so that they could run them balanced. Wouldn't it be easier to make a mini-XLR to 3.5mm TRS adapter?

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #2,442 of 4,777
Has anybody attempted to take out the Mini XLR jack on these? Is it possible? I have a client who would like to swap the mini XLR for a 3.5mm to use with a Vmoda mic, but I'm just not sure if it's possible. He's trying it on the 1770, but I imagine the assembly is the same, this thread is just much more active.

Any reason why he doesn’t want to use an adapter? I have the one from mimic cables it’s pricy for what it is but it’s smaller and better quality than the large one that is on amazon.

I mean if I do head rolls it will rub on my shoulder but the mimic cable adapter is small enough I don’t notice it with the boom pro. The one on amazon is too long though. When I get off work I can post a photo if you like.

Feb 28, 2019 at 4:27 PM Post #2,443 of 4,777
Any reason why he doesn’t want to use an adapter? I have the one from mimic cables it’s pricy for what it is but it’s smaller and better quality than the large one that is on amazon.

I mean if I do head rolls it will rub on my shoulder but the mimic cable adapter is small enough I don’t notice it with the boom pro. The one on amazon is too long though. When I get off work I can post a photo if you like.

If I can't get the jack to fit properly without dremeling, he agreed that I'll just make a mini xlr to female 3.5mm adapter instead. Anyone have a good idea for making an adapter that would work well with a Vmoda? I can change boards if this is too off topic lol

Mar 5, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #2,444 of 4,777
I'm toying with the idea to upgrade/sidegrade from Jotunheim to something else, because I'm not a huge fan of Jots (lack) or a couple of features: have optical in, some way to switch between headphone and speaker outputs and, ideally, would like to bypass its volume control when connected to speakers with their own controls. So far Questyle CMA400i seems like a decent option - have you guys had experience with it when pairing with DT 1990 Pros?

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:01 AM Post #2,445 of 4,777
IMG_20190306_165431.jpg
CMA400i is a great combo with DT1990 , I don't have experience with the jotunheim. But for me I did go from a high end audio interface from Antelope. And this is more pleasing to my ears, I feel it is hard to describe amps and dacs if its not something that colors the sound much.

It got power and its a solid all in one package. I love it with the DT1990 and my other cans.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back