Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 9, 2019 at 2:36 PM Post #2,356 of 4,782
I have no experience with the Focal headphones, but if you really need a wide soundstage, the DT 1990 might not be for you. Don't get me wrong, I find the soundstage to be realistic, but I don't think it could be described as anything more than intimate.
This is true, they’re not super wide, but I wouldn’t call them narrow or in your head, by any means, either. “Intimate” is probably closest, maybe a hair stepped back from it, depending on one’s personal definition.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #2,357 of 4,782
I’ve been using the 1990s for the past four or five months and I snagged the Elex a few weeks ago because I was feeling split after hearing the favoritism towards the Elex in comparison to the 1990s.

I think Josh’s video comes closest to capturing the differences between the two headphones, chiefly the presentation and dynamics at play in the Elex are much more obviously highlighted than in the 1990. It’s a fun sound that encourages active music listening, and it will be a more “musical” sound for a lot of people than the 1990’s flatter presentation (in comparison). Those are more of a neutral sound and more true to the representation of music, in my opinion.

Not sure I agree with him that the 1990s have better imaging, but it’s difficult to discern because the presentation is so much more emphasized and different on the Elex, but I was rather impressed with the Elex’s imaging. I do prefer the soundstage on the 1990s on the whole, and at the end of the day I prefer the 1990s for a few reasons. Chiefly: they’re airier, clearer, crisper, and more detailed. The Elex sound veiled by comparison, and that’s a tough pill to swallow because the 1990s do clarity and detail so well at a lower cost. And as I alluded to before, I prefer the 1990’s more neutral sound signature because it feels truer to what the recording is meant to sound like- the Elex is exciting and dynamic, but in an artificial and dressed-up kind of way. If you have room in your life for that kind of headphone, then it’s great, otherwise I’d take the 1990s.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about frequency comparisons or what-have-you. I think Josh’s video did a good job covering all the bases, with the exception being the veil on Elex, and honestly I didn’t like the vocals on it as much as the 1990s (assuming I didn’t get a defective headphone or need to burn them in longer).
I came away with similar impressions. In the end I prefer the Elex since the DT1990s highs can sound abusive at times. Elex has the perfect balance.

Jan 9, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #2,358 of 4,782
I came away with similar impressions. In the end I prefer the Elex since the DT1990s highs can sound abusive at times. Elex has the perfect balance.
The balance on the Elex is second only to its presentation/dynamics in my eyes, it’s very good, never found it sibilant or weird at any point, except being a touch more recessed in the vocals to my tastes, and that was in comparison to the 1990s.

Jan 9, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #2,359 of 4,782
This is true, they’re not super wide, but I wouldn’t call them narrow or in your head, by any means, either. “Intimate” is probably closest, maybe a hair stepped back from it, depending on one’s personal definition.

I wouldn't say they're HD600 narrow but they're not much bigger than that either, not wide by any means. They match the other descriptors he used but if he goes in expecting a wide soundstage as many reviews seem to say he will likely be disappointed.

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #2,360 of 4,782
I wouldn't say they're HD600 narrow but they're not much bigger than that either, not wide by any means. They match the other descriptors he used but if he goes in expecting a wide soundstage as many reviews seem to say he will likely be disappointed.
Yeah, something to keep in mind before pulling the trigger, for sure. I think the airiness of the 1990s is really helpful to that point, though.

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #2,361 of 4,782
Good info thanks all, I don't mind if it isn't as wide as some reviewers say.
I fully enjoy the 6xx for music, and I do have a few wide sounding HP's. I suppose the only downside I will have there, is unlike the dt990, and the X2 or 712 I own, the 1990 probably won't match for gaming.
Haven't scared me off one bit on the 1990s though!
Sorry if mentioned recently but just for the sake of knowledge, how does the Elex compare in soundstage?

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #2,362 of 4,782
Good info thanks all, I don't mind if it isn't as wide as some reviewers say.
I fully enjoy the 6xx for music, and I do have a few wide sounding HP's. I suppose the only downside I will have there, is unlike the dt990, and the X2 or 712 I own, the 1990 probably won't match for gaming.
Haven't scared me off one bit on the 1990s though!
Sorry if mentioned recently but just for the sake of knowledge, how does the Elex compare in soundstage?
They’re fairly close, in my opinion. It might just be the dynamics playing tricks on me, but I feel like the Elex is slightly smaller? I’m in agreeance with the diagram Josh made for that comparison video as to their shape, though.

Jan 9, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #2,363 of 4,782
I’ve been using the 1990s for the past four or five months and I snagged the Elex a few weeks ago because I was feeling split after hearing the favoritism towards the Elex in comparison to the 1990s.

I think Josh’s video comes closest to capturing the differences between the two headphones, chiefly the presentation and dynamics at play in the Elex are much more obviously highlighted than in the 1990. It’s a fun sound that encourages active music listening, and it will be a more “musical” sound for a lot of people than the 1990’s flatter presentation (in comparison). Those are more of a neutral sound and more true to the representation of music, in my opinion.

Not sure I agree with him that the 1990s have better imaging, but it’s difficult to discern because the presentation is so much more emphasized and different on the Elex, but I was rather impressed with the Elex’s imaging. I do prefer the soundstage on the 1990s on the whole, and at the end of the day I prefer the 1990s for a few reasons. Chiefly: they’re airier, clearer, crisper, and more detailed. The Elex sound veiled by comparison, and that’s a tough pill to swallow because the 1990s do clarity and detail so well at a lower cost. And as I alluded to before, I prefer the 1990’s more neutral sound signature because it feels truer to what the recording is meant to sound like- the Elex is exciting and dynamic, but in an artificial and dressed-up kind of way. If you have room in your life for that kind of headphone, then it’s great, otherwise I’d take the 1990s.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about frequency comparisons or what-have-you. I think Josh’s video did a good job covering all the bases, with the exception being the veil on Elex, and honestly I didn’t like the vocals on it as much as the 1990s (assuming I didn’t get a defective headphone or need to burn them in longer).

Right on time! One side of me wants the Elegia (the audiophile) and the other side of me wants the 1990 (the studio guy). I am about to grab an Elegia to try out before the drop ends, if it ever does, to see if this is a musical version of the the 1990. I generally don't mind the Beyer sound which is bright, but sometimes it actually as in the case of the 990's makes cymbals sound fizzy. I understand that the 1990 solves most of this, but I am wondering, to what degree. That is why i am looking into the Elex. Hoping it is a more musical 1990 and it doesn't quite seem that way though. I do know the 1990 is very popular among the studio crowd for its unforgiving accuracy. I will most likely get a 1990 soon, but I am wondering if there is any need for me to bother with an Elex other than it's good looks?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #2,364 of 4,782
Right on time! One side of me wants the Elegia (the audiophile) and the other side of me wants the 1990 (the studio guy). I am about to grab an Elegia to try out before the drop ends, if it ever does, to see if this is a musical version of the the 1990. I generally don't mind the Beyer sound which is bright, but sometimes it actually as in the case of the 990's makes cymbals sound fizzy. I understand that the 1990 solves most of this, but I am wondering, to what degree. That is why i am looking into the Elex. Hoping it is a more musical 1990 and it doesn't quite seem that way though. I do know the 1990 is very popular among the studio crown for its unforgiving accuracy. I will most likely get a 1990 soon, but I am wondering if there is any need for me to bother with an Elex other than it's good looks?
Funny you should ask about cymbals on the 1990- percussive instruments are genuinely one of the highlights of the 1990 for me. I’m not running a TOTL chain or anything, but cymbals are well defined and satisfying on the 1990 to my ears.

As to the Elex, that’s the headphone you get if you want a really dynamic presentation in a fairly accurate, remarkably well balanced headphone. They’re more “musical” than the 1990s in the sense that they’re less airy and separated, so the instruments mix together with each other more and that perhaps presents a more musical experience for certain listeners. I’d recommend them for most listeners because they’re an impressive headphone, but for my money I still preferred the 1990s.

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:20 PM Post #2,365 of 4,782
Funny you should ask about cymbals on the 1990- percussive instruments are genuinely one of the highlights of the 1990 for me. I’m not running a TOTL chain or anything, but cymbals are well defined and satisfying on the 1990 to my ears.

As to the Elex, that’s the headphone you get if you want a really dynamic presentation in a fairly accurate, remarkably well balanced headphone. They’re more “musical” than the 1990s in the sense that they’re less airy and separated, so the instruments mix together with each other more and that perhaps presents a more musical experience for certain listeners. I’d recommend them for most listeners because they’re an impressive headphone, but for my money I still preferred the 1990s.
You're killing me! I thought the Elex would be the airy hp's and the 1990's would be the just precise HP with not as much air. I was also looking at the Eligea as a good closed hp, but may just get the DT770 instead, since i hear the DT1770 is good but not on the same level of the 1990, closed or not.

Jan 9, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #2,366 of 4,782
You're killing me! I thought the Elex would be the airy hp's and the 1990's would be the just precise HP with not as much air. I was also looking at the Eligea as a good closed hp, but may just get the DT770 instead, since i hear the DT1770 is good but not on the same level of the 1990, closed or not.
Haha, I was counting on the Elexes being airier as well when I bought them, but here we are. Still a great headphone in most every other respect, but the 1990s just do it for me. Good luck in your search, wish I could offer any insights on the Elegia, 770, or 1770.

Jan 9, 2019 at 10:18 PM Post #2,367 of 4,782
After listening to these a few weeks with the stock 20 hole pads I was starting to feel like the highs had been chopped off in comparison to my DT 880's. Sure you could say the DT 880 is overly bright, but I felt this underwhelming in comparison. Today I switched to the 4 hole pads and I'm much happier with the sound change. The soundstage feels a little wider, the highs are brighter, and the bass/vocals are less forward. I think the 20 hole pads would be better for analysis of your source material if you are editing, etc; I enjoy the 4 hole pads way more so far for the musical enjoyment. Are there any other pads out there that I should give a listen to see if I would like them even more?

Jan 9, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #2,368 of 4,782
I kinda feel like the Analytical pads (4 hole) sound very similar. It really is just a difference of less bass to me, with the highs sounding very slightly less sibilant.
DT880 is definitely not a bright IME though.

On the Elex vs DT1990 talk... specifically about soundstage. I personally feel like both of these headphones have great soundstages that are not unrealistically large. Elex does a better job at presenting different instruments at further or closer to you. DT1990 does a similar thing though not as good ime. DT1990 has great instruments separation though. There's usually a good amount of space between every instrument.

I've used DT1990 for gaming but haven't tried the Elex yet. I should probably try my K712 for gaming too.

Just my 2c

Jan 10, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #2,369 of 4,782
That's exactly what I wanted to hear, I was interested in the dt990 back some years, and that was worse with sibilant highs from my research.
One pair of detailed, wide, brighter cans is exactly what I'm after to round up my listening options, so I will go the 1990 route.
Thank you for the help!

This is what I also wanted: airy, clear and bright headphone as the Campfire Andromeda.
You will like the 1990 very much :wink:.

By the way, to my post:

It is now so that Andromeda sounds better than the 1990 – on my iPhone / iPad and not on the PC!
People say that Andromeda has a low output impedance and this causes the bad sound I heard on PC.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #2,370 of 4,782
This is what I also wanted: airy, clear and bright headphone as the Campfire Andromeda.
You will like the 1990 very much :wink:.

By the way, to my post:

It is now so that Andromeda sounds better than the 1990 – on my iPhone / iPad and not on the PC!
People say that Andromeda has a low output impedance and this causes the bad sound I heard on PC.
Are you listening to these unamped? It's not surprising that the DT 1990 wouldn't sound as good out of an iPhone/iPad without an amp... Also not surprising that the Andromeda doesn't sound great out of your PC. I don't think I have any amps that could drive both a sensitive IEM and the Beyers satisfactorily.

Anyway. Glad you're enjoying both of your 'phones now!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back