Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Dec 19, 2018 at 5:59 AM Post #2,326 of 4,790
Do you only buy new vinyl? What sort of turntable setups do you have? Do you have a cleaning regimen for your vinyl? I have a Rega RP-1 >> Parasound zPhono >> Peachtree Nova65se and I buy almost exclusively used vinyl. I just find the pops and clicks to be too much on the DT 1990. Maybe I'll have to try again since it's been a while, I just remember thinking it wasn't very pleasant. I'd be interested to know what you guys are doing differently from me.
I've got a super old used vinyl player at home that my father got for free, i have no idea what brand it is.
the vinyl is brand new from the store, i bought it about two years ago and rarely listen to it (maybe 4 times total).
Rega makes amazing turntables, i was thinking of getting the Rega Planar 2 one day for my vinyl setup if i ever choose to buy more.
try a new vinyl and see if maybe that may be the cause.

Dec 21, 2018 at 3:26 AM Post #2,328 of 4,790
Anyone here has tried using these with the Beryerdynamic T1 Gen2 earpads? Also, if I want "more" should I just go for the T1 gen 2 anyway?
I tried the T1 v2 pads and they appear to be exactly the same like DT1990 balanced pads.
For me these headphones sound best with T1 v1 pads. Just a little more low end than the A pads, but not as much as in the B pads.
As for the T1 v2, i cannot comnent on them.

Jan 1, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #2,330 of 4,790
Jan 2, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #2,331 of 4,790
Jan 3, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #2,332 of 4,790
At last, after four pair of earpads. I think I finally (maybe, not really, the quest never ends) found the best sound with them. I'm using a pair of sheepskin leather earpads from Branwavz and these bad boys have a RUMBLE and keep the clarity and details that I love.

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #2,333 of 4,790
At last, after four pair of earpads. I think I finally (maybe, not really, the quest never ends) found the best sound with them. I'm using a pair of sheepskin leather earpads from Branwavz and these bad boys have a RUMBLE and keep the clarity and details that I love.

I'm using the same Brainwavz Sheepskin for the DT-1990 and I find that bass increases with the cost of soundstage. I'm eager to try out the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin, but it's rather expensive and there is no where to try them out in my place. Therefore I'm going to invest in getting a good cable (may be a single core silver/gold cable) before coming back to the pad rolling :D

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:39 AM Post #2,334 of 4,790
I'm using the same Brainwavz Sheepskin for the DT-1990 and I find that bass increases with the cost of soundstage. I'm eager to try out the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin, but it's rather expensive and there is no where to try them out in my place. Therefore I'm going to invest in getting a good cable (may be a single core silver/gold cable) before coming back to the pad rolling :D

I really didn't notice any change in the soundstage, if I really want "out of my head" sound I just listen to speakers. I have the Dekoni Fenstrated Sheepskin, they really aren't for me. They flatten out the sound completely, they're like analytical pads on steroids. It certainly opens up the soundstage, at the cost of everything else.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:57 AM Post #2,335 of 4,790
I really didn't notice any change in the soundstage, if I really want "out of my head" sound I just listen to speakers. I have the Dekoni Fenstrated Sheepskin, they really aren't for me. They flatten out the sound completely, they're like analytical pads on steroids. It certainly opens up the soundstage, at the cost of everything else.

I see - I guess I will either try the Brainwavz Sheepskin again, or stick with the Analytical pad then.

My complaints with the 1990 are mainly the rather small soundstage and the upper treble. It makes songs with multiple instruments a bit too much for me, while vocals (especially poorly recorded songs) can be rather harsh.

I wonder if getting a better cable can solve my concerns though.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #2,336 of 4,790
hi everyone, i would need some help
is someone willing to take off and make some pictures of the fixing ring on DT 1770/1990 ?? - link for the part in question
i am interested to see how it looks on the back side, were are the clips, to see how they are sized and to have a closer look at it
if someone can snap some pictures and post them here, that would be great, because i am interested to see if i can use this ring on dt770s, to have a little bit more buffer and space for my ear
looking at the official beyer page, it looks to me that it's the same one like in the DT 770/880/990, but just with the added lip for ear pad mounting

so if someone is willing to make some detailed pictures of it, and provide some measurements of the ring, that would be nice
thanks in advance for the help :)

Jan 4, 2019 at 4:49 PM Post #2,337 of 4,790
hi everyone, i would need some help
is someone willing to take off and make some pictures of the fixing ring on DT 1770/1990 ?? - link for the part in question
i am interested to see how it looks on the back side, were are the clips, to see how they are sized and to have a closer look at it
if someone can snap some pictures and post them here, that would be great, because i am interested to see if i can use this ring on dt770s, to have a little bit more buffer and space for my ear
looking at the official beyer page, it looks to me that it's the same one like in the DT 770/880/990, but just with the added lip for ear pad mounting

so if someone is willing to make some detailed pictures of it, and provide some measurements of the ring, that would be nice
thanks in advance for the help :)

You know what? I'm not going to do ANY of that. I finally figured out how to remove the ring on my DT-1990 so I went ahead and put it on my DT-770:

IMG_20190104_163108.jpg IMG_20190104_163212.jpg

And to my surprise, the DT-1990 ring fits perfectly on the DT-770. So go ahead and do that, just make sure a little notch on the ring lines up with the notch on the cups and you're good.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 4:57 PM Post #2,338 of 4,790
I see - I guess I will either try the Brainwavz Sheepskin again, or stick with the Analytical pad then.

My complaints with the 1990 are mainly the rather small soundstage and the upper treble. It makes songs with multiple instruments a bit too much for me, while vocals (especially poorly recorded songs) can be rather harsh.

I wonder if getting a better cable can solve my concerns though.

Try removing the black filter in front of the driver. After careful listening the soundstage did indeed collapse compared to what it had before. Removing the filter opened up the soundstage a bit and brought a ton of details.

Jan 4, 2019 at 9:19 PM Post #2,339 of 4,790
Hey all, I'm stuck debating between the DT-1990 and the Focal Elex.

Anyone that has used both able to shed some opinions?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back