1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by xero1, Jul 19, 2016.
First

Back
147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156
158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167
Next

Last
  1. hakka

Joshua Velour did a comparison of those:

cardeli22 and Light - Man like this.
  2. ls13coco
    Yeah I've seen that, it's been helping my decision but I feel more opinions may be valuable, some people hate some headphones that others love after all.
    Thanks for sharing though!

3. dev0lver
    holy moly, that's exactly what i needed :)
    thank you soo much, now i finally have confirmation that it fits, so i can order the part :D

i was expecting that, because i saw that the clips are he same, it's just that lip that is extra on it, but didn't ordered it just to find out it does not fit
    this is all i wanted, cheers buddy, have a beer :beers::beers:

btw, how do you got it off, you just pulled on the side of it, or is there something required to take it off ?

4. redrich2000
    How much amp do these need, would the 200-odd mW from the MD 789 SE be sufficient to properly drive them?

5. Slim1970
    They sound really good out of my Gilmore Lite Mk2 and Loki setup. I think the MD 789 will drive them fairly well as it even more power than GL Mk2

6. phiemon
    I just bought the DT 1990 Pro.

What can I say: I LOVE them!!

Now, I have a problem: I would like to have IEM that sounds like that for when I'm not at home.

I have the Campfire Andromeda which are supposed to be airy, bright... but hey, the DT 1990 Pro just blows me away in this regards and compared to the Andromeda! I cannot appreciate the Andromeda anymore as before.

So, again my question: Do you know about IEM that sounds as the DT 1990 Pro?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  7. GraveNoX
  8. megabigeye
    Glad you're liking the DT 1990 so much!

My advice to you is to try not to compare them directly to other ear-/headphones. From personal experience, it just leads to disappointment on one end or another; nothing is ever going to sound exactly the same, and therefor never quite as "good." For instance, the HD 650 are barely competitive with the DT 1990 in most ways, so if I compare them side by side the Sennheisers aren't very good; but if I let the HD 650 stand on their own, they're a very enjoyable headphone. If I were you, I'd try to let the Andromeda stand in its own, especially if it's something that you enjoyed in the past. It's not that the Andromeda is any less enjoyable than it was, it's that your expectations of it have changed.
    ...or, you know, I could take the Andromedas off your hands for a reasonable price. :wink:

That all said, I've not heard them, but somebody here told me the iBasso IT04 has a similar sound to the DT 1990.

Good luck!

Csericks, stenog and phiemon like this.
  9. DrpsDrpr
    I’ve been using the 1990s for the past four or five months and I snagged the Elex a few weeks ago because I was feeling split after hearing the favoritism towards the Elex in comparison to the 1990s.

I think Josh’s video comes closest to capturing the differences between the two headphones, chiefly the presentation and dynamics at play in the Elex are much more obviously highlighted than in the 1990. It’s a fun sound that encourages active music listening, and it will be a more “musical” sound for a lot of people than the 1990’s flatter presentation (in comparison). Those are more of a neutral sound and more true to the representation of music, in my opinion.

Not sure I agree with him that the 1990s have better imaging, but it’s difficult to discern because the presentation is so much more emphasized and different on the Elex, but I was rather impressed with the Elex’s imaging. I do prefer the soundstage on the 1990s on the whole, and at the end of the day I prefer the 1990s for a few reasons. Chiefly: they’re airier, clearer, crisper, and more detailed. The Elex sound veiled by comparison, and that’s a tough pill to swallow because the 1990s do clarity and detail so well at a lower cost. And as I alluded to before, I prefer the 1990’s more neutral sound signature because it feels truer to what the recording is meant to sound like- the Elex is exciting and dynamic, but in an artificial and dressed-up kind of way. If you have room in your life for that kind of headphone, then it’s great, otherwise I’d take the 1990s.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about frequency comparisons or what-have-you. I think Josh’s video did a good job covering all the bases, with the exception being the veil on Elex, and honestly I didn’t like the vocals on it as much as the 1990s (assuming I didn’t get a defective headphone or need to burn them in longer).

cardeli22, Trunks159 and ls13coco like this.
  10. WildStyle-R11
    Well byron has a "familiar" sound signature to them, for on the go it does the trick if you ask me. Obviously lacks in various things that DT 1990 itself can do. Also those byron's have various versions which are different sounding, I got the more bassy version.

11. ls13coco
    That has to be the best comparison directly between two headphones I could have asked for, for that I thank you!
    At the end of the day you would say the DT-1990 is more detailed, neutral, possibly even brighter?

It sounds even more so after your information that the DT-1990 is what I would be looking for out of the two, as I already have my warm/dark musical HP's covered, and really feel a fast, detailed, airy, accurate if even brighter headphone is what I need to complete my line-up. (brightest HP I have is my he400i)
    I only wish the DT could also be run balanced, but I've made it this far single-minded so that's no deal-breaker.

12. DrpsDrpr
    Yes to all three of those. The Elex tends to emphasize certain detail more, but the 1990 is the more detailed of the two, to my ears.

Just be aware the treble peak on these is a real thing, but I don’t find it especially offensive, even with the tinnitus in one of my ears- you just have to be careful with the volume on some music.

cardeli22 and ls13coco like this.
  13. stenog
    Completely agree with this. Before I read your reply my first thought was IT04 :).

But as you wrote no iem/headphone sound the same it's about enjoying different signatures at different times.

The Andromeda is on the warm side, the IT04 is brighter with thinner mids. No doubt the IT04 is closer in signature to the 1990 than the Andromeda but still difficult to compare them. Open back vs iem is very different.

14. ls13coco
    That's exactly what I wanted to hear, I was interested in the dt990 back some years, and that was worse with sibilant highs from my research.
    One pair of detailed, wide, brighter cans is exactly what I'm after to round up my listening options, so I will go the 1990 route.
    Thank you for the help!

15. DrpsDrpr
    No problem, happy to recommend them!

First

Back
147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156
158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167
Next

Last