Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Jan 21, 2019 at 2:13 PM Post #2,386 of 4,790
I just opened the earcup, removed the driver, replaced the original connector with a 4 pin mini xlr, did the correct re-wiring and built a 4 pin balanced cable. Not a difficult mod will try to post a tutorial when I get the time.

Would very much appreciate that, these headphones are being delivered to me today!

Jan 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #2,388 of 4,790
Here is my two cents....I have used the 1990:s in gaiming mainly (Battlefield 1 and V) and now there is this Elex this and Elex that....Am I missing something? BTW I just found a perfect album (guitars are REALLY good with 1990) that matches the headphones: Audioslave Audioslave (?)...still about 200 albums to hear in my inventory (I´m just a beginner here) but the Audioslave really shines trough my modest gear ( Creative X7 LE with Burson V6 Vivids)...Do You guys have experience what additional foam "pads" to buy from eBay to "kill" the highs on 1990 just a little bit? This would make wonders with the analytical pads...Thank You in advance!

Edit: I just ordered these, at least those seemed quite transparent in the picture...

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 10:24 PM Post #2,390 of 4,790
Guys I've successfuly converted mine to Balanced and the increase in sound quality is really ridiculous!

I'm now using them in balanced mode through my Questyle CMA400i unit and the sound is so much more articulate, airy and unrestricted. I'll never go non-balanced again!

I did converted them to balanced (4-pin mini XLR to 2.5mm) and found the soundstage to open up quite nicely. However, it somehow makes the high frequencies more problematic though...

Jan 24, 2019 at 11:48 AM Post #2,396 of 4,790
( Creative X7 LE with Burson V6 Vivids)...Do You guys have experience what additional foam "pads" to buy from eBay to "kill" the highs on 1990 just a little bit? This would make wonders with the analytical pads...Thank You in advance!
I've bought the 1990 about 2 months ago and I tested it on all my DAC's and players. I didn't found the highs to be disturbing on them, except one case - Burson Conductor Air, and only with some audio tracks. It uses V5i - the sound has a relative V shape form. V6 Vivids sounds the same ( just a lot better ). So I believe this could be a reason.
On other devices, like FiiO X5II, FiiO M3, Topping D10 ( on the line output !! ), Sabaj Da2 or Burson Play ( with V6 Classic in I/V and Vivid in buffer and gain ), even on my phone, I had no trouble with the highs with same tracks. I didn't tested them with V6 Vivid in I/V in the Play but I suspect I might have the issue due to V shape sound.
However I found a trick on the internet - to fold in 2 some napkin or toilet paper and put in front of the driver. Seems to have some results. You may try it and see what happens.
Also if you have a parametric equalizer you can try to put a 6-10dB attenuation at 8.3kHz.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #2,397 of 4,790
I've bought the 1990 about 2 months ago and I tested it on all my DAC's and players. I didn't found the highs to be disturbing on them, except one case - Burson Conductor Air, and only with some audio tracks. It uses V5i - the sound has a relative V shape form. V6 Vivids sounds the same ( just a lot better ). So I believe this could be a reason.
On other devices, like FiiO X5II, FiiO M3, Topping D10 ( on the line output !! ), Sabaj Da2 or Burson Play ( with V6 Classic in I/V and Vivid in buffer and gain ), even on my phone, I had no trouble with the highs with same tracks. I didn't tested them with V6 Vivid in I/V in the Play but I suspect I might have the issue due to V shape sound.
However I found a trick on the internet - to fold in 2 some napkin or toilet paper and put in front of the driver. Seems to have some results. You may try it and see what happens.
Also if you have a parametric equalizer you can try to put a 6-10dB attenuation at 8.3kHz.

Hello Eiffel, and thank You for Your answer; You are the first one to answer to my post(s) where I actually ask something :beerchug:
I just have burnt in the Bursons so I was thinking to test the 1990:s with the stock X7 opamps compared to the Vivids; we´ll see....I use the 1990:s mainly for gaming so the highs are not that big a deal because the the highs are not consistent...But I definitely will try to control the highs few db some other way than EQ....

Jan 26, 2019 at 2:08 AM Post #2,399 of 4,790
I hope you find a solution.
However you should consider that if DT1990 are great for music they are not so great for games.
I´m pleased that this is my "greatest problem", I`ll manage it somehow...I just listened the Beyer 990 PRO:s with music (my Battlefield -friend uses them in gaming) and found out that they are a tad "dull" and even less spacious....so 1990:s before that. What pisses me off is that he is much more better in gaming than me :ksc75smile:

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #2,400 of 4,790
Now that I have had the 1990s for a week, I'm back on to comparisons with the Elex.
I do like these headphones, started with the default B pads for the first few days, then switched to the A pads and the sound was more of what I expected with them.
My two other latest cans are the LCD2c and 6xx, which both left me overall more happy with my purchases and it is seemingly attributes to a fair extent that this is because of the 1990 having more recessed mids?
This of course is because they are more flat overall I believe, but the LCD2c has been my go-to for enjoyment lately, and I am considering returning the 1990 to go for the very dynamic.. of the dynamic HPs, the Elex lol!
Great headphone, but I guess with my collection now I am able to better understand my tastes.

Also, it is true that the 1990 isn't the best for gaming (shooters at least) in comparison to some HP's more known to be good for gaming, by those I mean the X2 and K712. Sound reproduction is fully there, just not the imaging and soundstage to give that immersion and advantage but I did know that going into this purchase, just thought I'd give my $0.02 after a few years with the X2 and K712.

Would love to hear more thoughts and comparisons between these and the Elex while I contemplate this "exchange", or even if the 200hr (or was it 150hr?) burn-in for the 1990 does make a difference! (Probably 6-7hr use here)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back