Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Apr 8, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #788 of 4,782
Quite few usual suspects and something different for a change. :D I'm pretty happy with the HA-2 pairing, but nothing to compare to. Also the difference between the pads is rather surprising. They have the same stand out features on both, but the rest of it is colored different, but I prefer the B pads, because Bass. :) Also maybe it was just me, but A pads seemed a bit cold no?

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #789 of 4,782
Hey guys got a newbie question here, I know the 1990s are labeled by BD as pro-reference grade studio cans but do you guys use these for home relaxing/immersive listening or are they mainly used for critical listening/analyzing sessions etc?

Thanks.

Apr 9, 2017 at 8:48 PM Post #790 of 4,782
  Hey guys got a newbie question here, I know the 1990s are labeled by BD as pro-reference grade studio cans but do you guys use these for home relaxing/immersive listening or are they mainly used for critical listening/analyzing sessions etc?

Thanks.

The DT 1990 are quite neutral and immersive but they aren't the most relaxing. The Amiron Home works better for relaxation and immersion with it's softer more expansive sound. The DT 1990 works better for analyzing and also getting energized by the music with it's somewhat aggressive sound signature. But it can work for relaxing music, it's just not as good at it as some other headphones, the DT 1990 is a rather vivid sounding headphone.

Apr 9, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #791 of 4,782
  The DT 1990 are quite neutral and immersive but they aren't the most relaxing. The Amiron Home works better for relaxation and immersion with it's softer more expansive sound. The DT 1990 works better for analyzing and also getting energized by the music with it's somewhat aggressive sound signature. But it can work for relaxing music, it's just not as good at it as some other headphones, the DT 1990 is a rather vivid sounding headphone.

Thanks for the quick reply, I was reading your thread on the review/comparison of the 2, very insightful.  I'm going to make some calls tomorrow to see if either of them are on display anywhere.  Figure that's the most efficient way to find out which I'd prefer in the long term.

Thanks Again.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #792 of 4,782

Thanks.

According to my experience of Amiron for two weeks I think I chose the DT1990 because I already had the IDSD-Black ... But objectively I think the DT1990 rivals the best, but to reach this conclusion I Do a 'neutral' pads modding ! 

To the left the pads '' neutral '' modified, right the pads '' balaced ''

In my ears and on the idsd-black I give you my feeling for best result... With this modification I think I have the compromise between the two types of listening between the neutral / balanced pads ... The style is now more natural, the placement of the medium is more forward than with the balanced pads. The sharp pitches are better mastered, the sub / bass keeps a nice energy but without making imbalance. 

For having tested the DT1990 on many sources, having compared it to headphones much more expensive once modified I had the pleasure to create surprise with friends. This is a wonderful achievement from Beyerdynamic.
I had a lot of headphones Beyerdynamic, T90 / DT880 / DT990 / T1v1 / T1v2 / MMX300 ... According to me and with a simple modification of the pads '' neutral '' it is the best offer available at Beyerdynamic !

Apr 16, 2017 at 7:36 AM Post #794 of 4,782
I agree totally, I use my 1990 for relaxation and enjoyment. The problem is that I did not like Amiron at all, I listened them side by side and expected some subtle diffences not sharp very much like on 1990 and strong dislike on Amiron. I used FiiO X5 ii, perhaps I just got faulty Amiron. 1990 grabbed not only my soul but even went for my throat:). I could not part with them.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #795 of 4,782
I agree totally, I use my 1990 for relaxation and enjoyment. The problem is that I did not like Amiron at all, I listened them side by side and expected some subtle diffences not sharp very much like on 1990 and strong dislike on Amiron. I used FiiO X5 ii, perhaps I just got faulty Amiron. 1990 grabbed not only my soul but even went for my throat:). I could not part with them.

The difference between the DT 1990 and Amiron is not subtle, they are very different headphones. I like both personally, but I find the DT 1990 to be more soulful sounding as well. Everyone who has tried both of mine prefers the DT 1990 of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back