Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Apr 17, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #811 of 4,790
Agreed, the 1990 is awesome. It punches above its pricepoint too - better than the acclaimed Elear for me. Haven't had much desire to change cables though - the coiled one works pretty well for portable use.

It really is just an amazing pair of gear, I was lucky enough to snag the DT1990 for pretty much $400 brand new due to some crazy deal on Amazon. God I love Amazon lol. I never had the opportunity to try the Elear, I have Senns HD650s and Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts and soon to get the Atticus and Eikons, but these DT1990s are just all around amazing. I was blown away when they surpassed the HD650s to my ears. The bass is punchier and faster. The highs are clearer, the mids are warm, yet its a neutral pair of headphones. I only run the....pads with the least amount of holes, I think balanced? I want my bass.

The DT 1990 pretty much made me forget about the HD 600 and HD 650, I have no desire for them anymore.

I haven't tried a Cardas cable on them, but I do find cables make a subtle difference, but I am using a silver-plated copper(got it for portable, much shorter than stock) and it makes things sound a smidgen cleaner, tighter, and a bit more vivid than the stock cable which is a bit more mellow with a bit more warmth to my ears. But that's usually been my experience with silver and spc vs copper in general.

I'm pretty much there with you. I won't ever let go of my HD650s, I feel they are a must have in any collection, IMO, but they will be used only for that nostalgia of my first audiophile grade headphones.
Thanks for the fast responses guys. Comes down to do you have the means and the desire? Cardas cable is not cheap by any means, but its built stuuupid well (damn well better be). Is the upgrade worth it in sound? Eh, maybe, but is it worth in upgrading the cable for just the build and reliability? I think so, my HD650s have a custom cable so I'll be damn if my DT1990s are without one.

I'll have to have some assistance with some blind A/B testing some day soon to see if I can pick up on it. Anyone have the DT1770s? I'd looovee to try them out, closed headphones with these drivers? Sploosh.

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:30 PM Post #812 of 4,790

It really is just an amazing pair of gear, I was lucky enough to snag the DT1990 for pretty much $400 brand new due to some crazy deal on Amazon. God I love Amazon lol. I never had the opportunity to try the Elear, I have Senns HD650s and Fostex TH-X00 Purplehearts and soon to get the Atticus and Eikons, but these DT1990s are just all around amazing. I was blown away when they surpassed the HD650s to my ears. The bass is punchier and faster. The highs are clearer, the mids are warm, yet its a neutral pair of headphones. I only run the....pads with the least amount of holes, I think balanced? I want my bass.

I'm pretty much there with you. I won't ever let go of my HD650s, I feel they are a must have in any collection, IMO, but they will be used only for that nostalgia of my first audiophile grade headphones.
Thanks for the fast responses guys. Comes down to do you have the means and the desire? Cardas cable is not cheap by any means, but its built stuuupid well (damn well better be). Is the upgrade worth it in sound? Eh, maybe, but is it worth in upgrading the cable for just the build and reliability? I think so, my HD650s have a custom cable so I'll be damn if my DT1990s are without one.

I'll have to have some assistance with some blind A/B testing some day soon to see if I can pick up on it. Anyone have the DT1770s? I'd looovee to try them out, closed headphones with these drivers? Sploosh.

The pads with 4 holes, gray back, and softer foam are the analytical pads, have a bit less bass than the balanced which have a lot of holes, black back, and denser foam. You got the DT 1990 the same price as I did, I never got the extra amp so they refunded me $130 which made it $400 for me. 

I understand that. I sadly don't have my first truly good headphones anymore, an Austrian-made K612, I gave those to my brother, but they do still hold up nicely. I've gotten to the point where I won't really accept anything less than the DT 1990 and Amiron Home. I personally didn't like the stock cable on the HD 650, something wasn't right about the dynamics to it to my ears. I found the DT 1990's stock cable is better sound wise. 

The DT 1770 is a less refined DT 1990 with a bit of closed-backness and more intimacy to it. It's an excellent headphone and what spurred me to get the DT 1990. The DT 1770 is replaced by my modded DT 480 which I consider the best headphone I own and the fact the DT 1770 isn't different enough from the DT 1990 to my ears while the Amiron Home and DT 480 are. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #814 of 4,790
  The pads with 4 holes, gray back, and softer foam are the analytical pads, have a bit less bass than the balanced which have a lot of holes, black back, and denser foam. You got the DT 1990 the same price as I did, I never got the extra amp so they refunded me $130 which made it $400 for me. 

I understand that. I sadly don't have my first truly good headphones anymore, an Austrian-made K612, I gave those to my brother, but they do still hold up nicely. I've gotten to the point where I won't really accept anything less than the DT 1990 and Amiron Home. I personally didn't like the stock cable on the HD 650, something wasn't right about the dynamics to it to my ears. I found the DT 1990's stock cable is better sound wise. 

The DT 1770 is a less refined DT 1990 with a bit of closed-backness and more intimacy to it. The DT 1770 is replaced by my modded DT 480 which I consider the best headphone I own and the fact the DT 1770 isn't different enough from the DT 1990 to my ears while the Amiron Home and DT 480 are. 

That is the same deal that I got. I didn't receive the amp at first, but a few emails later and it was shipped out next day. I use it every day at work with my IEMs, maybe just earbuds, I haven't gotten to deep into that game. $800 IEMs is a hard pill to swallow lol.

I agree with you on the stock cable of the HD650s, wasn't really doing it for me. I didn't like it, swapped out for best in the verse cables and those are fantastic. Paracord and I rocked the HD650s for at least a year, amazing headphones. Great for getting into the game. My friends are like why do you spend the money that you do on headphones, and I'm like until you really sit down and listen to music on a good pair of headphones, it's just noise. I only just got into the "audiophile world" as it were and it's amazing.

Just swapped pads to the balanced, and uh yeah, I dunno why I pulled these off automatically lol. The bass is just a bit punchier already. I'll rock this for a bit see how I like it. Thanks for the suggestion. Which pads do you prefer or do you swap them back and forth regularly?

Love how easy it is to swap pads, took me 2 minutes to grab the other pads and swap em out.

$400 is a steal for the 1990. Seriously, it's probably going to take a lot to knock 1990 off the perch as the best open backed headphone out there under $1K (or even more). I've said it before but it's severely underrated and/or unknown.

I completely agree, and they are so well built. I was a little worried about comfort coming from the HD650s, which are damn comfortable. I could wear them all day and never have any issues. These are built better, I love the look. I feel like build and comfort are understated when it comes to reviews. The DT1990s are COMFORTABLE. Reviews mainly cover sound, which is great, but if they aren't comfortable is it really worth it? 

Apr 17, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #815 of 4,790
Agreed, the 1990 is awesome. It punches above its pricepoint too - better than the acclaimed Elear for me. Haven't had much desire to change cables though - the coiled one works pretty well for portable use.

I think the 1990 sounds better than the Elear myself.

More energetic highs, fun punchy bass, 2 pad options, more comfortable, no vacuum cord cable. 

Elear was a very big disappointment for me at its price point.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #816 of 4,790

I think if you like your 1990, you would also like the 1770. Pretty similar sound generally. DT1770 has more sub bass rumble, really good bass. Had them side by side together with the 1990's, both are great cans.

Personally, I found them similar enough to not want to own both together.

This link is a review for the 1990's. Second page he makes some comparisons between the 1770 and 1990.

http://www.headfonia.com/review-beyerdynamic-dt1990pro-addictive/2/

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #817 of 4,790

I think if you like your 1990, you would also like the 1770. Pretty similar sound generally. DT1770 has more sub bass rumble. It is one of my favorite closed backs. For closed, I don't think you can do much better and they sound great for EDM if you're into it. Great imaging too. Had them side by side together with the 1990's, both great cans.

Personally, I found them similar enough to not want to own both together.

This link is a review for the 1990's. Second page he makes some comparisons between the 1770 and 1990.

http://www.headfonia.com/review-beyerdynamic-dt1990pro-addictive/2/

Thanks TWerk, EDM is one of my main genres, I'll read through that review. With the Atticus and Eikon on their way here, I need to be good and hold off on dropping anymore money on HPs, but they are definitely on my list of closed headphones. 

At the moment I have the Fostex TH-X00 PHs for EDM sub bass rumble, but with them being planar they don't work well with the DarkVoice tube amp. Bass drops off like no tomorrow. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #818 of 4,790

I completely agree, and they are so well built. I was a little worried about comfort coming from the HD650s, which are damn comfortable. I could wear them all day and never have any issues. These are built better, I love the look. I feel like build and comfort are understated when it comes to reviews. The DT1990s are COMFORTABLE. Reviews mainly cover sound, which is great, but if they aren't comfortable is it really worth it? 

+1 on the comfort. Beyer is really good with designing for comfort. Even their entry level (770/880/990) headphones are very comfortable.

Apr 17, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #819 of 4,790

Thanks TWerk, EDM is one of my main genres, I'll read through that review. With the Atticus and Eikon on their way here, I need to be good and hold off on dropping anymore money on HPs, but they are definitely on my list of closed headphones. 

At the moment I have the Fostex TH-X00 PHs for EDM sub bass rumble, but with them being planar they don't work well with the DarkVoice tube amp. Bass drops off like no tomorrow. 

Curious which amp you own do you prefer with the 1990s and why, thanks!

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #820 of 4,790

That is the same deal that I got. I didn't receive the amp at first, but a few emails later and it was shipped out next day. I use it every day at work with my IEMs, maybe just earbuds, I haven't gotten to deep into that game. $800 IEMs is a hard pill to swallow lol.

I agree with you on the stock cable of the HD650s, wasn't really doing it for me. I didn't like it, swapped out for best in the verse cables and those are fantastic. Paracord and I rocked the HD650s for at least a year, amazing headphones. Great for getting into the game. My friends are like why do you spend the money that you do on headphones, and I'm like until you really sit down and listen to music on a good pair of headphones, it's just noise. I only just got into the "audiophile world" as it were and it's amazing.

Just swapped pads to the balanced, and uh yeah, I dunno why I pulled these off automatically lol. The bass is just a bit punchier already. I'll rock this for a bit see how I like it. Thanks for the suggestion. Which pads do you prefer or do you swap them back and forth regularly?

Love how easy it is to swap pads, took me 2 minutes to grab the other pads and swap em out.

Ah, that makes sense. I got a similar deal on my Amiron. Yeah, I'm not a huge IEM fan, I do want to try a few, but I am weird about things in my ear canal.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed the stock cable on the HD 650 is a bit off. True, one thing I did notice is how many people are impressed with the DT 1990 audiophiles and non-audiophiles alike. 

I personally use the Balanced pads more, I do sometimes use the Analytical ones. It's mainly because of the bass and intimacy of the balanced and I use the Amiron if I want a bigger soundstage. 

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #821 of 4,790
Im an Audiophile Basshead and I really enjoy the DT1770.

Apr 18, 2017 at 12:43 AM Post #822 of 4,790
  Ah, that makes sense. I got a similar deal on my Amiron. Yeah, I'm not a huge IEM fan, I do want to try a few, but I am weird about things in my ear canal.

Glad I'm not the only one that noticed the stock cable on the HD 650 is a bit off. True, one thing I did notice is how many people are impressed with the DT 1990 audiophiles and non-audiophiles alike. 

I personally use the Balanced pads more, I do sometimes use the Analytical ones. It's mainly because of the bass and intimacy of the balanced and I use the Amiron if I want a bigger soundstage. 

I'm not a huge IEM guy generally either, but just picked up the LZ A4's and Ibasso IT03. Both are 3 driver IEM's.

Fantastic sound quality on both, really surprising to me actually. Check them out if you want to look into some great sounding buds. Neither is too expensive.

The IT03 is so impressive, not like an IEM at all... sounds like a full size headphone with some kick ass slamming bass.

Apr 18, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #823 of 4,790
I actually have both the DT1770 and the DT1990, and while the general tonality is similar, for me they're different enough to warrant owning both, especially as in some instances I have need of the isolation afforded by closed backs.

I too am wondering why the DT1990 has received relatively little attention. Maybe it's because of Beyer's reputation for overly strident highs that have put off potential listeners, too whom I would say this headphone is a significant departure from that in that the treble is much much better controlled and therefore more natural.

I've also had the opportunity to compare the DT1990 to the Elear, and for my money I'll take the DT1990 every time - if the Elear had convinced me it would already be in my stable, but it isn't. Now I'm not saying that the Elear is a bad headphone - it most certainly isn't, and I feel that it perhaps performs better with regards to soundstage. However, I do think given the price point of the Elear that it's rather overrated and little over hyped. In contrast I find the DT1990 somewhat underrated by the Head-Fi community.

Apr 18, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #824 of 4,790
I actually have both the DT1770 and the DT1990, and while the general tonality is similar, for me they're different enough to warrant owning both, especially as in some instances I have need of the isolation afforded by closed backs.

I too am wondering why the DT1990 has received relatively little attention. Maybe it's because of Beyer's reputation for overly strident highs that have put off potential listeners, too whom I would say this headphone is a significant departure from that in that the treble is much much better controlled and therefore more natural.

I've also had the opportunity to compare the DT1990 to the Elear, and for my money I'll take the DT1990 every time - if the Elear had convinced me it would already be in my stable, but it isn't. Now I'm not saying that the Elear is a bad headphone - it most certainly isn't, and I feel that it perhaps performs better with regards to soundstage. However, I do think given the price point of the Elear that it's rather overrated and little over hyped. In contrast I find the DT1990 somewhat underrated by the Head-Fi community.
The T1 and T5P has too much treble or not enough bass.

Apr 18, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #825 of 4,790

It all depends on your music tastes. The Elear are fun headphones. I find them excellent for metal and hard rock, way better than the DT1990 in fact. Though, they perform poorly with classical music and jazz.

I also have the T5p 2nd and I think that they are better all-rounders and I like them more than the DT1990. However, I do enjoy more the Elear when I want to headbang for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back