Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Apr 17, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #796 of 4,790
Hi everyone, I read a comment that the DT1990 is actually better than the T1. That is interesting for that price. How does this can compared with something like a senn hd800 or audeze lcd ? Thanks for any info.

Apr 17, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #797 of 4,790
That's one opinion on it. I think T1 is the better headphone, the highs are a lot more detailed and airy, more extension, more resolving, better soundstage, imaging. T1 is pretty amazing to me.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:01 AM Post #798 of 4,790
  That's one opinion on it. I think T1 is the better headphone, the highs are a lot more detailed and airy, more extension, more resolving, better soundstage, imaging. T1 is pretty amazing to me.

I did find those some of they are the advantages of the T1, though I don't really find the T1 that much more detailed, only slightly, it is definitely tighter sounding, I loved the almost ethereal imaging of the T1.2 but I felt it's highs actually hurt it's transparency and that the DT 1990 is a more transparent and neutral headphone with more body and with imho better mids and vocals to my ears. Maybe my ears prefer the non-angled drivers or something.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #799 of 4,790
I have the 1st gen, and its one of the clearest, cleanest, fastest, most detailed and resolving cans I have heard. It it doesn't have a lot of body/bloom to the bass section (but still hits well but quick), which I think really just keeps things very clean and allows the details to come through without fighting with any bass, It's such a spacious airy open sound, I didn't get the same super open feeling with the 1990 when I had it. The resolution was not as good either to my ears.  1990 I enjoyed for sure, but decided to keep 1770 since it was pretty close to my ears, and I needed a great closed can. 

I know I've read the 1st T1 and 2nd have some significant differences in tuning, so perhaps we're talking about two different headphones.

But I agree, the 1990 and 1770 have more body both in mid range and bass. The T1 is lighter, and thinner in body, but the treble extension/ sparkle is just superb IMO. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:14 AM Post #800 of 4,790
  I have the 1st gen, and its one of the clearest, cleanest, fastest, most detailed and resolving cans I have heard. It it doesn't have a lot of body to the bass section, which I think really just keeps things very clean and allows the details to come through without fighting with any bass, It's such a spacious open sound, I didn't get the same super open and open feeling with the 1990 when I had it. The resolution was not as good either to my ears.  1990 I enjoyed for sure, but decided to keep 1770 since it was pretty close to my ears, and I needed a good closed can. On the other hand, the T1 seems to contrast well with the DT1770.

I know they said the 1st T1 and 2nd have some significant differences in tuning, so perhaps we're talking about two different headphones.

I may of also had a lower quality T1.2 as well. I know the DT 1990 I currently have(I've owned two, second one is a little better) is the best Beyer I've heard outside the DT 48/480(which are a different sort of headphone, the detail retrieval is freakish and unbelievably effortless, they are weird headphones to be honest). Problem with the T1 and T1.2 I found they varied a lot, some sounded better than others, quite notably so and especially in the clarity department, mine had a slight haze to it's highs. I found the DT 1990 more consistent. Beyers do have some issues with variation though.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #802 of 4,790
  Did you ever own a T1, V1?

I've heard more than one T1.1 numerous times at length, a good friend of mine owns one and I do think the original actually sounds better than the version 2 overall, I found the version 2 while the highs are a little more mellow not as clear and the headphone wasn't as musical and enjoyable as the original, didn't have the same vividness. But I had issues with the highs on both, they were above my personal threshold treble wise. It seems similar to the situation with the HD 800 and HD 800S, many find the original a bit better.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:30 AM Post #803 of 4,790
Got it. Yeah, maybe there is some variation as well as personal preference plays in... They can fatigue a little depending on track, one of the downsides of having a treble emphasis, but never heard as good, clear, crisp, extended treble on anything so far.

Previous owner of my pair is a headphone reviewer, and he said similar things on the treble quality so maybe I have a good one.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #804 of 4,790
  Got it. Yeah, maybe there is some variation as well as personal preference... They can fatigue a little depending on track, one of the downsides of having a treble emphasis, but never heard as good, clear, crisp, extended treble on anything so far.

The treble is great, just too much for my ears which I find bothers my ears and I avoid fatigue like the plague in a headphone. I find the DT 1990 is really for those who want a more full-bodied and darker sound and the T1 is for those who want awesome imaging and a glorious treble extension. I find the DT 1990 dark sounding compared to the T1, especially on a clean system with the balanced pads. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:41 AM Post #805 of 4,790
I'd agree. I have preference overall for brighter signatures (most of my headphones are), so that explains it. And agreed. Both 1990 and 1770 have better body in mids and bass and a fuller sound.

All of them are great headphones depending on listening preferences IMO.

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:49 AM Post #806 of 4,790
  I'd agree. I have preference overall for brighter signatures (most of my headphones are), so that explains it. And agreed. Both 1990 and 1770 have better body in mids and bass and a fuller sound.

Yeah, a lot is preference, I'm more of a midrange and bass head but I do like a good quality treble, which is why I like the DT 1990 and Amiron so much. The DT 1990 is below my threshold. The Amiron actually skirts the treble threshold for me, it's almost too much, it has darker mids, more mid-bass, but a brighter treble than the DT 1990. I use the Amiron when I'm in a more treble happy mood and soundstage oriented mood. The Amiron sounds nothing like the DT 1990 and T1 though. It's more of a tamed T90(which were scary treble monsters for me) with more rounded edges(softer) to it's sound than I'm used to from Beyer which also makes it more relaxing, doesn't have the body and robustness of the DT 1770/1990 though. To be honest I find the Amiron one of the weirder headphones I've owned but that's part of it's charm to me. I may revisit the T1 in time, most likely the original or I'll wait for the next flagship Beyer.

I actually find it interesting how different some of the Tesla's sound from each other. It's almost like putting on a different brand of headphones on at times. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #808 of 4,790
I've been roaming this thread for awhile, actually ended up picking up the DT1990, which is a glorious headphone. After an entire day (and night) of swapping back and forth between the DT1990 and Senns HD650s, I put the Senns in their case and haven't touched them for a couple months, the DT1990 just does everything a little bit better than the HD650s.

I never really knew what people meant by the speed, but it's so obvious with the headphones, the bass hits hard and faaast.

I just picked up a Cardas cable. Any opinions on this? I doubt I can tell a difference between stock and this cable sound wise. Build wise it's magnificent, wish they had a 7 or 8 foot version, but I did not need a 10 ft cable.

Has anyone upgraded cables and found a noticeable difference? I'm not going to return it because the stock cable build was just irritating, long enough yes, but a mess to deal with.

This was a test for me to see if I could tell a difference between a superior cable vs stock, I don't think I can really tell much of a difference, headphones still sound amazing so...mission accomplished?

Apr 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #810 of 4,790
  I've been roaming this thread for awhile, actually ended up picking up the DT1990, which is a glorious headphone. After an entire day (and night) of swapping back and forth between the DT1990 and Senns HD650s, I put the Senns in their case and haven't touched them for a couple months, the DT1990 just does everything a little bit better than the HD650s.

I never really knew what people meant by the speed, but it's so obvious with the headphones, the bass hits hard and faaast.

I just picked up a Cardas cable. Any opinions on this? I doubt I can tell a difference between stock and this cable sound wise. Build wise it's magnificent, wish they had a 7 or 8 foot version, but I did not need a 10 ft cable.

Has anyone upgraded cables and found a noticeable difference? I'm not going to return it because the stock cable build was just irritating, long enough yes, but a mess to deal with.

This was a test for me to see if I could tell a difference between a superior cable vs stock, I don't think I can really tell much of a difference, headphones still sound amazing so...mission accomplished?

The DT 1990 pretty much made me forget about the HD 600 and HD 650, I have no desire for them anymore.

I haven't tried a Cardas cable on them, but I do find cables make a subtle difference, but I am using a silver-plated copper(got it for portable, much shorter than stock) and it makes things sound a smidgen cleaner, tighter, and a bit more vivid than the stock cable which is a bit more mellow with a bit more warmth to my ears. But that's usually been my experience with silver and spc vs copper in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back