Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Mar 25, 2017 at 10:18 AM Post #767 of 4,780
Too early to do full comparisons but it is definitely something I'd like to do. The Z1R sub-bass is amazing so don't think the 1990 will compete in that department but I can tell already it holds its own in other aspects. The Z1R is noticeabley darker sounding but that could largely be because of the closed design.

By the way is it difficult to change the pads? I'd like to try the analytical ones. I know most people prefer the balanced pads that are pre-installed.

I wouldn't agree that people prefer the balanced pads, if you are not mastering I would recommend the analytical pads. They are very easy to swap, there is a small notch on the ring and then you just twist a full circle. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:39 AM Post #768 of 4,780
I wouldn't agree that people prefer the balanced pads, if you are not mastering I would recommend the analytical pads. They are very easy to swap, there is a small notch on the ring and then you just twist a full circle. 

I actually am using the analytical pads and prefer them. They are more comfortable and provide just a bit more clarity and focus.

Mar 25, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #769 of 4,780
I like the balanced pads with my SS amp and the analytical with my tube setup. Bass does decrease with the analytical pads but other technicalities are improved. Luckily my tube setup has a natural bass boost so it nicely complements the analytical pads.

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #770 of 4,780
Honestly which pads one prefers depends on preference and the system. I personally prefer the balanced ones overall, but that's because I like the intimate bassier sound they offer, it's more like a better and open DT 1770 with the balanced pads. With the analytical pads, it reminds me more of a darker and fuller sounding T1.2. I have been swapping the pads recently though but always seem to go back to the balanced. I prefer the Amirons to the analytical pad DT 1990. 

Mar 27, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #771 of 4,780
  Could this be a good upgrade cable worth its price at $55 for DT 1770/1990?
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/1-5m-5ft-L-type-plug-6core-4N-OCC-Silver-plated-Headphone-Cable-Upgrade-Cable-for/900546_2038486076.html

Handmade/6-core/ 4N /OCC Silver plated/ clear Teflon sleeve insulator material
1.5m
$55

And, is it a fact that copper cable boosts bass a bit and silver cable a bit of treble?!

Would they fit Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO? They look the same but Beyerdynamic DT1990 PRO is not mentioned there.

Mar 27, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #772 of 4,780
Cause I sweat a lot, In looking for extra ear pads for my DT1770. Anybody had luck finding better or equal ear pads for it ?

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #774 of 4,780
Look at Dekoni ear pads.  They make velour and pleather pads for the DT770/880/990 series.  I suppose they would fit the 1770 too.  I have them for use with other headphones and they are comfortable. 
Thanks will look.

Apr 2, 2017 at 11:22 AM Post #775 of 4,780
Hi there guys, I have joined the club 1990! Funny how I got here. I wanted to get rid of my blue yeti pro, I figured giving a shot to headsets wouldn't harm me. Not to my surprise the mic quality of a headset is no go... However the headset itself Game one from sennheiser was a lot more to my liking, which presented a problem as I couldn't pick between my 990's and the game one, So I took it a step higher. :D Currently still testing them and playing around. Changing the pads is better than old hundred series, however still a big pain. :D Currently running them off my Oppo HA-2 I'm happy so far.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:46 PM Post #776 of 4,780
I am still enjoying the DT-1990 very much.   It is really such a good value compared to what's out there now.   I am testing out the Elear, and, while it is a beautiful headphone with many strengths (e.g. almost perfect comfort), I have to say the less expensive DT-1990 offers better sound quality.  I am amazed at the crispness and detail it conveys, and the ability to realistically capture the timbre of instruments.  So the 1990 remains as one of the best open headphones I've heard. 

Apr 6, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #777 of 4,780
  I am still enjoying the DT-1990 very much.   It is really such a good value compared to what's out there now.   I am testing out the Elear, and, while it is a beautiful headphone with many strengths (e.g. almost perfect comfort), I have to say the less expensive DT-1990 offers better sound quality.  I am amazed at the crispness and detail it conveys, and the ability to realistically capture the timbre of instruments.  So the 1990 remains as one of the best open headphones I've heard. 

I had the chance to compare the Elear and DT 1990 together myself, I chose the DT 1990 myself. The Elear had great bass quality and I do like it's imaging(was a bit unique) and clarity, but I found the mids and treble just didn't convey the sense of body and timbre quite as realistically as the DT 1990 and the T1.2(I found the treble a mixed bag on the T1's though). Though the build quality and materials on the Elear is amazing, one of the nicest feeling headphones I've ever held in my hands.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #778 of 4,780
Just got the DT-1990 today. Thanks to JerseyD at Inner Sanctum. Great guy to deal with - highly recommended if you are looking to purchase a new headphone.

Anyway, my initial impression is that the 1990 sounds phenomenal. It may be one of the best open back headphones I've ever heard. As much as I liked the Amiron, the 1990 is better. A fuller mid-range and more balanced. Detail retrieval is amazing and there is no painful treble spike. Superb build quality too.

Thanks for the shout-out! Glad you are enjoying the DT1990! Have to say, I love them, too!

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #779 of 4,780
The thing about the 1990 is that it has almost the sense of dynamics as the Elear but it is more even handed in the presentation. I also think people would be surprised at how powerful the bass can get for a Beyerdynamic but you need good quality amplification for the full potential. Given the standards of the Elear has set though, the Utopia must be incredible. Too bad I could only afford it in a Utopian society, lol.

Apr 6, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #780 of 4,780
The thing about the 1990 is that it has almost the sense of dynamics as the Elear but it is more even handed in the presentation. I also think people would be surprised at how powerful the bass can get for a Beyerdynamic but you need good quality amplification for the full potential. Given the standards of the Elear has set though, the Utopia must be incredible. Too bad I could only afford it in a Utopian society, lol.

Agreed, the Elear is really good and wouldn't mind owning one at all, but it does pale a bit compare to the Utopia, the Utopia is so expensive though. Though I think the Utopia is bested by the R10, but the R10 is a freak of nature, it's scary how good the timbre and tonality is on the R10 but sadly it's not viable anymore due to cost and rarity. The Utopia is one of the best dynamics that can be had. The bass does gets rather powerful on the DT 1990 when properly amped and agreed it's dynamics are not far off the Elear at all, in fact the upper mid and treble dynamics are better on the DT 1990 imho. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back