Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Mar 6, 2017 at 12:37 AM Post #736 of 4,768
  Could someone with experience of both the DT1990, with analytic pads, and T1 (1st gen) give some input about the difference in sound between them? Most of the comparisons I can find are with the T1.2.

I have the opportunity to buy a used T1 for just a tad cheaper than a new 1990, but I've no chance to listen to either of them beforehand. Looking for a set of cans for music production, but also as much for just enjoying music. The styles varies from blasting fast death metal to ambient electronic to trip hop. Very little music with brass instruments though. I mostly use my studio monitors but my room treatment isn't the best at the moment. I need something that is analytic and revealing, for example for fine adjusting compression, but at the same time musical. If I don't like to listen to music on the cans I'm not going to use them that much, and then I really can't use them for reference since I'm not totally familiar with their sound signature.

At the moment I have the closed back AKG 271 mkII that I use mainly for recording purposes. Maybe not the best cans for production; not that flat and very shy in the bass, but good at showing minute errors that my speakers/room "hides".  How is the bass on T1.1 vs 1990 with analytic pads?
(I actually just bought the Denon AH-D2000 for some more bass heavy cans for "fun listening". Still waiting for them to arrive in the mail.)

Seems like everyone just loves the DT1990 while the T1 has got some mixed reviews. Not sure which one to go for.

I've yet to hear the DT-1990 but have a T1g1 (which I like) and heard the T1g2 (which I didn't care for) but if you can get a T1g1 for less than a DT-1990 I would just get them and if you don't like them it would be quite easy to sell with no loss.  The only thing with the T1 is that you need to consider the amp that you are going to use with them, for me I really like the BH Crack or Ember but if you don't want to deal with tubes then the Liquid Carbon or G-109 were two good SS amps with the T1.

Mar 6, 2017 at 7:48 PM Post #740 of 4,768
  Has anyone noticed that the headband adjustment is very loose and rattly/jiggly on the DT1990? This is my first Beyer so maybe they are are all like this but it sort of bothers me. 

Yes, but they are not annoying while wearing like many other cans. I suppose that was on purpose for flexibility as even when rattling like that, they seem not easy to be broken. Just my opinion anyway.

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:32 AM Post #742 of 4,768
  Could someone with experience of both the DT1990, with analytic pads, and T1 (1st gen) give some input about the difference in sound between them? Most of the comparisons I can find are with the T1.2.

I have the opportunity to buy a used T1 for just a tad cheaper than a new 1990, but I've no chance to listen to either of them beforehand. Looking for a set of cans for music production, but also as much for just enjoying music. The styles varies from blasting fast death metal to ambient electronic to trip hop. Very little music with brass instruments though. I mostly use my studio monitors but my room treatment isn't the best at the moment. I need something that is analytic and revealing, for example for fine adjusting compression, but at the same time musical. If I don't like to listen to music on the cans I'm not going to use them that much, and then I really can't use them for reference since I'm not totally familiar with their sound signature.

At the moment I have the closed back AKG 271 mkII that I use mainly for recording purposes. Maybe not the best cans for production; not that flat and very shy in the bass, but good at showing minute errors that my speakers/room "hides".  How is the bass on T1.1 vs 1990 with analytic pads?
(I actually just bought the Denon AH-D2000 for some more bass heavy cans for "fun listening". Still waiting for them to arrive in the mail.)

Seems like everyone just loves the DT1990 while the T1 has got some mixed reviews. Not sure which one to go for.

Compared to the original T1, the 1990 is warmer, with fuller bass presence. This has the effect of making them seem less bright, because the treble info is balanced by the low end. The original T1 lacked that balance (in my opinion).  If it were me, at similar prices, I would choose the 1990 over the T1.1 (but the newer T1.2 over the 1990, except that it is more expensive). Hope that helps.

Mar 11, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #743 of 4,768
Received my DT 1990 pro yesterday and Boy o Boy are these some great sounding headphones! Build quality is great and are real light. Only thing is the cable mini 3 pin XLR rubs against my shoulder but not a deal breaker.

Mar 16, 2017 at 7:59 PM Post #748 of 4,768
Just got the DT-1990 today. Thanks to JerseyD at Inner Sanctum. Great guy to deal with - highly recommended if you are looking to purchase a new headphone.

Anyway, my initial impression is that the 1990 sounds phenomenal. It may be one of the best open back headphones I've ever heard. As much as I liked the Amiron, the 1990 is better. A fuller mid-range and more balanced. Detail retrieval is amazing and there is no painful treble spike. Superb build quality too.

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #749 of 4,768
Just got the DT-1990 today. Thanks to JerseyD at Inner Sanctum. Great guy to deal with - highly recommended if you are looking to purchase a new headphone.

Anyway, my initial impression is that the 1990 sounds phenomenal. It may be one of the best open back headphones I've ever heard. As much as I liked the Amiron, the 1990 is better. A fuller mid-range and more balanced. Detail retrieval is amazing and there is no painful treble spike. Superb build quality too.

Glad you are liking the DT 1990. I like both the DT 1990 and Amiron a lot, but the DT 1990 is more accurate and a better overall headphone to my ears. 

Mar 16, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #750 of 4,768
What's impressive is that it has an almost Stax level of transparency together with dynamic punch.

I remember being worried about clamp pressure but it doesn't bother me at all. A different fit than the Amiron but still very comfortable. Your comparison review was spot on. I seem to be following your lead with headphones, lol. Great recommendations so far though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back