Beyerdynamic DT 1990 PRO - Beyer's open-back mastering headphone
Mar 6, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #4,216 of 4,785
Thanks for the input, should mention listen to Deezer hifi, so the encoding should be fine, - but maybe it's not...?.. I'll have to try amazone HD...
Deezer HiFi should be FLACs like Amazon Music HD; tested with DT-1990 w/ Hybrid pads, and no sibilance issues

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #4,217 of 4,785
Okey, it's official.
After spending 4-6 hours a day for last 5 days with these cans. Going back and forth between my DT990 600ohm, HD650 and the DT1990.

It's a keeper.
The balanced pads for me it is...

The DT1990 has the same warmth and midrange that the HD650 has, but much more clarity. Bad recordings suck a lot, but darn, when you have good quality material.

Compared to the DT990-600 ohm, they have a much more fuller weighter sound, again warmth comes to mind. The 990 is lean compared, and the V Shape does not make it optimal for listening to live music, as mids get sucked out.

In short, I'm a very happy man right now..
They are truly amazing cans.

Mar 6, 2022 at 11:36 PM Post #4,218 of 4,785
I'm currently using an Audiolab 6000CDT transport, Asgard 3, and Modi multibit with my Focal Clear Pro's. Sometimes I switch out the Modi multibit with a Modius to change things up. Enjoy this setup a lot but want to add a few more headphones. I'm leaning towards the DT-1900 pros. Any Focal Clear owners and 1990 Pro owners?

Mar 7, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #4,219 of 4,785
I'm currently using an Audiolab 6000CDT transport, Asgard 3, and Modi multibit with my Focal Clear Pro's. Sometimes I switch out the Modi multibit with a Modius to change things up. Enjoy this setup a lot but want to add a few more headphones. I'm leaning towards the DT-1900 pros. Any Focal Clear owners and 1990 Pro owners?
I’m close (?)….Focal Clear and DT-1770 Pro (closed-back: 250 ohms)….

Mar 7, 2022 at 12:58 AM Post #4,220 of 4,785
From what I learned over the last couple days, I would say Focal clear, if you listen to alot of compressed music that has fallen victim to the loudnesswar... Otherwise DT1990.

Mar 7, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #4,221 of 4,785
I have Elegia and DT1990.... I enjoyed the DT1990 more, and have heard the clear and still enjoy it more (Elegia is very close to clear in FR and technical performance..)

But the DT1990 doesn't scale, like at all, meanwhile on a good $1k+ amp the Elegia scales like crazy, and has more utility being closed back, as soon as I bought the HD800 the DT1990's fate was sealed, even with the insane Fenstrated Uni ZMF pads I talked about here, it's just the Elegia is in it's own bracket with usability that doesn't cross over with any other headphones I own... Closed back, portable, insane technical performance on good source, well above the DT1990... So i ended up keeping it, glad I did too, made a neat science project now my Elegia is an amazing bluetooth capable headset (and very easy to take the parts off and use as normal portable or with a nice amp)

ElegiaModded.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #4,223 of 4,785
When you originally asked the question, where you basing off those two links to the youtube or from the Deezer recording? Or are you saying that you get the issues on both Deezer and Youtube?
I get them on Deezer hifi. YouTube also has them, but just a bit less because of the overall compression in the music. I don't really listen to music YouTube :)

Maybe I perceive the harshness alot louder because of a higher listening volume?? As treble and bass get perceived louder, the louder you listen??

looked at what SPL I'm listening at, and it was about 95db. I used the Fiio BTR5 in app to se how loud it was....

I can hear the harsh sssssh even at 75-8⁰db, but it is not so bad, that it just sounds off,...

Symbols and high hats sound just fine.

Normally I listen at about 85-90db.

Mar 7, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #4,224 of 4,785
Continuing with where I left off in the prior thread, I will show the wiring for the DT-1990 Pro. What needs to be kept in mind is this may only apply to my set of headphones. Or it could be that Beyer has indeed wired the drivers of the 1770 Pro and 1990 Pro differently. It is up to the individual to figure this out because I can't say for certain. What I do know for certain is that the plugs for the PCB sockets must be in the correct spot or the driver polarity will be messed up.

Anyway, the figure below shows the the stock 3 pin wiring of my DT-1990 Pro.

3 Pin 1990 2.jpg

As can be seen, the wiring for 1990 varies from that of the 1770. Instead of the jack being wired to the right socket of the left driver, it is wired to the left socket. Also, the right driver wiring is connected to the right socket of the left driver. The right driver PCB is wired the same.

Again, if you place the plugs into the other sockets, the signal and ground will be reversed.

The wiring for a 4 pin XLR jack ended up like shown in the figure below.

4 Pin 1990 2.jpg

Actual 1990 stock 3 pin PCB wiring.

1990 left driver.jpg

Anyway, hopefully this can help someone who desires to convert their 1770 or 1990 from a 3 pin XLR to 4 pin XLR jack. I'll leave the subjective part out, but I will say the either way gives excellent performance. I wanted only to take advantage of my 4 pin amplifier jacks.
Thanks for the awesome writeup and pics! Does the DT880 have the same socketed setup? Eventually I'll probably butcher mine but I haven't opened them yet to see.

Mar 8, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #4,225 of 4,785
Thanks for the awesome writeup and pics! Does the DT880 have the same socketed setup? Eventually I'll probably butcher mine but I haven't opened them yet to see.
No the dtxx0 series have their cables soldered directly on the PCB/outlet of the drivers. Still easy to replace or change but more chance of failure. The new dtx00 uses an even better system where the drivers slides into a socket that is mounted in the cup. No tools needed to change the driver. No tools.

Mar 8, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #4,226 of 4,785
No the dtxx0 series have their cables soldered directly on the PCB/outlet of the drivers. Still easy to replace or change but more chance of failure. The new dtx00 uses an even better system where the drivers slides into a socket that is mounted in the cup. No tools needed to change the driver. No tools.
Thanks, but I don't understand exactly. When you say new dtx00, do you mean a drop version?

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #4,228 of 4,785
Quick question about clampforce... I have adjusted/bent the headband a little bit, so how tight should they be. Right now the clamp is tighter then the DT990 premium but lighter the then DT770. Have I maybe bent it to far?

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #4,230 of 4,785
I'm really tempted to buy a pair of these but I keep going back to the posts I've read on the treble. Some people call it fatiguing.
The build quality sounds great and I love the looks. The price isn't outrageous.
Dekoni Velours
There is one for sale in the classified section with discounted velours on offer, forget who the seller was :wink:
dt1990.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back